• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

under 21 handgun OC

JEaston71

I just left the local sheriff office and they said I couldn't even possess a handgun until 21 even though the statutes state tht 18 and older may carry. I was going to apply for a private purchase permit but they refuse anything until I'm 21. The attorney generals office did me no help. What do I do?

aosailor

Until you get this figured out (I have no advice on this matter sorry) remember, you don't need to own the gun you are carrying.

calynn

I'd ask to speak to a Law Enforcement Liaison at the Attorney General's office. They were pretty helpful to me. I got 2 handgun purchase permits before I turned 21.

JEaston71

I'd ask to speak to a Law Enforcement Liaison at the Attorney General's office. They were pretty helpful to me. I got 2 handgun purchase permits before I turned 21.

I called the attorney generals office and so far they were no help the lady I talked to was a bitch.

papa bear

JE this has been in my croup for quite a while. here is the first part of the cite.

Quote:§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident, when the sheriff has done all of the following:

(1) Verified, before the issuance of a permit, by a criminal history background investigation that it is not a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the criminal and background history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history records as maintained by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, by conducting a national criminal history records check, by conducting a check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and by conducting a criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts.

(2) Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant.

(3) Fully satisfied himself or herself that the applicant desires the possession of the weapon mentioned for (i) the protection of the home, business, person, family or property, (ii) target shooting, (iii) collecting, or (iv) hunting.

(b) If the sheriff is not fully satisfied, the sheriff may, for good cause shown, decline to issue the license or permit and shall provide to the applicant within seven days of the refusal a written statement of the reason(s) for the refusal. The deter An appeal from the refusal shall lie by way of petition to the chief judge of the district court for the district in which the application was filed.determination by the court, on appeal, shall be upon the facts, the law, and the reasonableness of the sheriff's refusal, and shall be final.

what i think is good about this it does say that it will be weighed on the law. you could take this statute to the office and have them comply. get the whole statute, 14-404. if they do (i mean the written refusal) , take it to the judge and start the motion. if they still refuse to comply, call your state representatives. please don't let this drop. it will help all the other people discriminated against by this law. good luck and keep us posted.

papa bear

checked out the Waynes county sheriff office's web site on obtaining a CC permission slip.

http://www.waynegov.com/165810410153558197/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=54965

i thought this was interesting. i have never thought of this before, but i have a cousin that has had a couple of heart attacks and his doctor prescribe him to drink a glass of wine a day

4You may not, with or without a permit, carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or while alcohol or any controlled substances are in your blood unless the controlled substance was obtained legally and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
this next thing, struck me as a slap in the face of us OCers. i am going to give them the benefit of doubt and think maybe they didn't mean it the way it is worded

6If a permit is lost or destroyed, you must notify the Sheriff who issued the permit and you may receive a duplicate permit by submitting a notarized statement to that effect along with the required fee. Do not carry a handgun without it.

JEaston71

So what exactly should i do next. Because the lady at the front desk of the sheriffs dept yelled at me last time when i argued about the statutes. I just walked out when she yelled so I wouldn't start yelling back.

ArmySoldier22

It appears to me that the discussion is getting confused between a PPP and a CHP.

Reading their website, I'm assuming that they aren't requiring someone to be 21 to acquire a CHP though right? And a CHP does allow you to purchase a handgun without getting a PPP if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:

chiefjason

I don't know if this will help. But if you can get this in front of someone, then ask them what statute restricts someone between 18 and 21 from possessing a handgun?

14‑269.7. Prohibitions on handguns for minors.
(a) Any minor who possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(b) This section does not apply:
(1) To officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties or acting under orders requiring them to carry handguns.
(2) To a minor who possesses a handgun for educational or recreational purposes while the minor is supervised by an adult who is present.
(3) To an emancipated minor who possesses such handgun inside his or her residence.
(4) To a minor who possesses a handgun while hunting or trapping outside the limits of an incorporated municipality if he has on his person written permission from a parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis.
(c) The following definitions apply in this section:
(1) Handgun. – A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.
(2) Minor. – Any person under 18 years of age.

BTW, there is no statute that allows OC. And there is no statute that I am aware of that allows 18 yo's to carry. What happens is, minors are prohibited. So that covers those under 18. The law is silent on those from 18-21. Which technically means you can, since that which is not forbidden is allowed. But LE tends to not think like that. Then you have the issue of FFL's not being able to sell handguns to those under 21. And everyone just assumes anyone under 21 can't buy a handgun. Which is inaccurate. And you find yourself in one of the most vague areas of gun law in NC. Good luck with it.