• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

under 21 handgun OC

JEaston71

I don't know if this will help. But if you can get this in front of someone, then ask them what statute restricts someone between 18 and 21 from possessing a handgun?

14‑269.7. Prohibitions on handguns for minors.
(a) Any minor who possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(b) This section does not apply:
(1) To officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties or acting under orders requiring them to carry handguns.
(2) To a minor who possesses a handgun for educational or recreational purposes while the minor is supervised by an adult who is present.
(3) To an emancipated minor who possesses such handgun inside his or her residence.
(4) To a minor who possesses a handgun while hunting or trapping outside the limits of an incorporated municipality if he has on his person written permission from a parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis.
(c) The following definitions apply in this section:
(1) Handgun. – A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.
(2) Minor. – Any person under 18 years of age.

BTW, there is no statute that allows OC. And there is no statute that I am aware of that allows 18 yo's to carry. What happens is, minors are prohibited. So that covers those under 18. The law is silent on those from 18-21. Which technically means you can, since that which is not forbidden is allowed. But LE tends to not think like that. Then you have the issue of FFL's not being able to sell handguns to those under 21. And everyone just assumes anyone under 21 can't buy a handgun. Which is inaccurate. And you find yourself in one of the most vague areas of gun law in NC. Good luck with it.

I could careless about a chp can't conceal until I'm 21 but I can take the class. There's also nothing saying you can't own a handgun and carry under 21 it just says under 21 you can buy from a ffl dealer. Many ppl under 21 have got a ppp.

chiefjason

I could careless about a chp can't conceal until I'm 21 but I can take the class. There's also nothing saying you can't own a handgun and carry under 21 it just says under 21 you can buy from a ffl dealer. Many ppl under 21 have got a ppp.

I undersand all that, you understand all that, too bad your Sheriff does not. My main point is, that you and I arrive at this conclusion because of a lack of laws and statutes not because of them. Sometimes LEO's do not seem to want to operate like that. The law is silent for folks your age. Combine that with the increased leeway Sheriffs have in issuing PPP's and you get this issue. Where getting a PPP between 18-21 is more about having a knowledgeable Sheriff than about it being legal.

If you are going to get them to budge it will have to be from the top down, the AG. Or getting them to see the convoluted reasons why you are not prohibited from getting a PPP. BTW, anyone answering the phone or setting at the desk dealing with the public is not someone that you need to talk to. You need to find a way to bypass them and get up the food chain farther. Like I said earlier, best of luck.

papa bear

I just left the local sheriff office and they said I couldn't even possess a handgun until 21 even though the statutes state tht 18 and older may carry. I was going to apply for a private purchase permit but they refuse anything until I'm 21. The attorney generals office did me no help. What do I do?

JE, was this at another attempt aside from the OP attempt? did you get an answer from the AGO? have you tried to contact the district attorney's office or maybe your representatives?

Wayne County Representation
2011-2012 Session

House Members

Wayne.gif

Senate Members

Proudly Serving the Citizens of Greater Wayne County
careywinders1.jpg
Sheriff Carey A. Winders

gsxrman

In carteret county i basically had to make them so freggin' tired of telling me no that they tried to prove me wrong with statutes. long story
short, both of the people in the office figured out I was correct. I was trying to get PPP. I got one i guess, it looks just like a purchase permit but with the part about licensed dealers blacked out. i was told it was the only one they had ever issued. maybe I got duped? :uhoh:

ArmySoldier22

In carteret county i basically had to make them so freggin' tired of telling me no that they tried to prove me wrong with statutes. long story
short, both of the people in the office figured out I was correct. I was trying to get PPP. I got one i guess, it looks just like a purchase permit but with the part about licensed dealers blacked out. i was told it was the only one they had ever issued. maybe I got duped? :uhoh:

Just curious, but you are referring to the PPP and purchase permit as the same thing right? Your post just makes it seem like they're being talked about as two separate things lol. And I wonder why licensed dealers would be blacked out?

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Glad you perservered and overcame. That's what we all need to do, everytime. As far as part being edited, no you are not the first, and probably won't be the last.

chiefjason

Just curious, but you are referring to the PPP and purchase permit as the same thing right? Your post just makes it seem like they're being talked about as two separate things lol. And I wonder why licensed dealers would be blacked out?

Because the Feds require that you be 21 to buy from a licensed dealer. Under 21, you still need the PPP and you have to buy from a private seller.

papa bear

here is what the permit should look like (filled out of course). this under NCGS 14-403. i was just looking at Forsyth county, it looks like a lot of their application is on line. i was a little baffled by this because i thought you had to apply in person, but it might be you can send your info. in ahead. i think you still do have to go in.
one of the reasons i was looking at Forsyth is that i met a couple last week end that was telling me some real horror stories about when they tried to get a PPP. i don't know how much of what they told me is the sheriff office and how much was they were confused. he was a nationalized citizen and she was 2nd gen. natural born. they are supposed to get back to me and let me know what the follow up is.

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to purchase or receive any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:
North Carolina,
______________ County.
I, ______________, Sheriff of said County, do hereby certify that I have conducted a criminal background check of the applicant, ______________ whose place of residence is ______________ in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township, ______________ County, North Carolina, and have received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The applicant has further satisfied me as to his, her (or) their good moral character. Therefore, a license or permit is issued to ______________ to purchase one pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same.
This license or permit expires five years from its date of issuance.
This ____ day of ____________, ________.

gsxrman

The sheriffs office tried to lead me to believe that the only way i could buy a handgun was to get a "permit" and since you have to be 21 to get a CHP, i couldn't get a "permit" until I was 21. I had to keep repeating that I was only talking about owning a handgun, and open carry. (of course every time I said this I was told that it was just a bad idea and i'd get arrested for GATOP. they literally got a book of statutes out and read it like they had never read it before. (read it 2-3 times and say "so this must mean this, but that says that." aggravating to say the least.

bc.cruiser

PPP forms online

Papabear: Most counties have their forms online so that you can fill them out without having to go get them from an office. You still have to present them in person. Cumberland works the same as Forsythe (and others) in that regard.
Note: GRNC has made a written complaint to Forsythe county sheriff about the personal information that is required on the application.

JEaston71

JE, was this at another attempt aside from the OP attempt? did you get an answer from the AGO? have you tried to contact the district attorney's office or maybe your representatives?

Wayne County Representation
2011-2012 Session

House Members

Wayne.gif

Senate Members

Proudly Serving the Citizens of Greater Wayne County
careywinders1.jpg
Sheriff Carey A. Winders

All I need to do is fill the application out and if I get rejected for under 21 I can appeal the decision. The problem is they wouldn't give me one to fill out.

calynn

All I need to do is fill the application out and if I get rejected for under 21 I can appeal the decision. The problem is they wouldn't give me one to fill out.

Who have you been talking to there, the desk clerk? Ask to speak to one of the higher ups or annoy the AG's office about calling them.