• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Oklahoma legislators study open carry options

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Okla-lawmakers-look-eye-open-carry-of-handguns-2179838.php

SNIP

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma lawmakers are looking to expand the gun rights of citizens by allowing for the open carrying of firearms, but opinions differ on how far they should go.

Members of the House Public Safety Committee conducted an interim study on the issue Tuesday.

Despite GOP majorities in the House and Senate and a Republican governor, legislators were unable to pass a bill to allow for the open carry of firearms last year.

State Rep. Mark McCullough says he requested the study to develop a "strategic approach" to expanding firearm rights.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
More news coverage of Oklahoma open carry reform talks in state legislature

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Okla-lawmakers-eye-open-carry-of-handguns-2179838.php

SNIP

"Generally, when we have discussion and debate that pertains to constitutional or individual rights, those discussions tend to be spirited," said House Speaker Kris Steele. "I think it's a very healthy process."

Steele said he expects to support an open carry bill that applies to those 21 years and older who have received some training and a permit.

"We want to make sure we're responsible with any legislation," Steele said.

Republican Gov. Mary Fallin expressed similar support for a "reasonable" open carry bill with restrictions.

"I support open carry. I've always been a supporter of it, but I do think you have to be reasonable about open carry," Fallin said. "Just as there are times when you can't take open carry into airports or into areas of public buildings, we have to be thoughtful and reasonable about that."

hrdware

"I think we should stay with the concealed carry permit and go through that process so that someone is at least familiar with the weapon they're carrying," said Tibbs, R-Tulsa.

Not to be nit picky, but no where does it say you have to go through the process with the weapon you will carry. I went through with a 22 but carry a 380 or a 45.

godlessdustin

I sure hope we at least get some form of open carry. Right now I'm concealing a Glock 17 and it would be so much better if I could have it in the open.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anyone know where I can subscribe to receive the latest news about open carry legislation in Oklahoma like this?

Welcome to OCDO Trent - you have taken the first step when you peruse this forum.

IMHO the people here on OCDO constitute the best of the best activists in the arena of open carry. Unfortunately the ORA (Oklahoma Rifle Association) has taken a negative and unwarranted position on this issue.

"ORA President Don Scott says the group is opposing the measure because the purchase of handguns by anyone under 21 is a violation of federal law and that allowing citizens to carry rifles and shotguns into businesses or on the street will create "an atmosphere of hostility and distrust." Scott also cited concerns that law enforcement officers have with the proposal."
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16articleid=20110322_298_0_OLHMIY200522

Get to know your representatives and let them know where you stand. To follow pending legislation, I recommend this link:

http://www.oklegislature.gov/

Last edited:

hrdware

Other Resources

Does anyone know where I can subscribe to receive the latest news about open carry legislation in Oklahoma like this?

Welcome to OCDO Trent91. Like Grapeshot said, the ORA has been going downhill in regards to protecting gun rights. Because of this, a new group has popped up, OK2A. You can find them on facebook and they have their own site as well, http://ok2a.org. The facebook page is updated a bit more regularly than their web page.

OK2A has been very outspoken for our carry rights and had some input in the interim study that was done this summer.

Once the legislative session begins this winter, I will be scouring the bill for all the firearms related ones and posting them like I did last year.

Once again, welcome to the boards.

Trent91

Wow, thanks for the welcoming folks! It's nice to find a friendly community! Thats excellent hrdware, I will definately be watching for your posts concerning future legislative activity, then.

About the ORA, don't they know that in the state of oklahoma it is legal for an individual over the age of 18 to purchase a handgun from a private seller?

I have sent messages to my government representatives supporting open carry legislation, and plan to continue to do so until I can enjoy an open carry trip to the store.

Best of luck to us all. Cheers.:cool:

Aknazer

Wow, thanks for the welcoming folks! It's nice to find a friendly community! Thats excellent hrdware, I will definately be watching for your posts concerning future legislative activity, then.

About the ORA, don't they know that in the state of oklahoma it is legal for an individual over the age of 18 to purchase a handgun from a private seller?

I have sent messages to my government representatives supporting open carry legislation, and plan to continue to do so until I can enjoy an open carry trip to the store.

Best of luck to us all. Cheers.:cool:

No they don't know that and when one tries to tell them they don't listen. Overall the only thing the ORA really cares about is making sure that they can keep their hunting guns.

hermannr

When you write your representitives and the gov, you might want to point out that WA and ID have had "no permit necessary" OC for over 100 years. The statistics are online. Also, from 18 to 21, OC is the only way a person can carry for their own self defence in Washington. (with the exception of when they are recreating, hiking, hunting, fishing etc. While recreating, anyone that can legally possess a firearm can OC or CC)

You also need to point out the LIE!!! that an 18 year old cannot posess a handgun by Federal Law. ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!!!! A federally licensed firearms dealer may not be able to sell a handgun to a person 18 years old, but that does not mean an 18 year old cannot be given, purchase from a private party, or inheirit a handgun, and carry such.

You can poke big holes in the credibility of a lot a people when they LIE! The bigger the credibility holes, the better for your side...so for your part, reference everything, any information must be based on FACT that can be easily backed up. NEVER LIE!!!!

Remember, this also....http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm This lady did a good analysis..read it.