• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC first time

M1911s

OC for first time today and like I've seen people post on here not to many noticed or cared. Herd some one say "are you serious" as I was walking out of king soopers. The store clerks didn't say anything. Same result at toxic hell. Both places seemed like if your a paying customer we dont mind.

Polynikes

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your first OC! Chances are the “Are you serious?” may not have even been directed at you, but I remember that self-conscious feeling that comes with being a new OC’er. You feel like all eyes are on you and every one must be talking about you. With time you’ll realize that the majority of people either just don’t notice or couldn’t care less. :D

Lokster

Hopefully the first of many pleasant experiences! I don't spend hardly any time down around Highlands Ranch, in fact I don't believe I've had a chance to OC there yet. Congrats on your decision to OC!

Keens

Welcome and Congratulations on your first OC! You are welcome to come to the Aurora OC meet this Saturday at Golden Corral! Hope you got a holster!

Last edited:

JamesB

I agree. The "are you serious" was probably someone looking at the price hike on the screen while he scanned his favorite ice cream. In general, people pay far more attention to that sort of thing than a complete stranger with a different accessory on the belt.

Welcome. Hope you can make it to the meet up in Aurora.

mahkagari

I agree. The "are you serious" was probably someone looking at the price hike on the screen while he scanned his favorite ice cream. In general, people pay far more attention to that sort of thing than a complete stranger with a different accessory on the belt.

OP would only be able to tell where the person was looking and even then there's reasonable doubt. Was he sporting a stuck-in-the-'80s hairstyle?

M1911s

Yeah after talking with M-T and some of the others I decided against carrying in the waist. I did some lookin around up here in HR and not much of a market for holsters so I ended up with a cheappie nylon holster until I find a style or custom one I like, better than nothing though. I think I might show up for the meet.

JamesB

Yeah after talking with M-T and some of the others I decided against carrying in the waist. I did some lookin around up here in HR and not much of a market for holsters so I ended up with a cheappie nylon holster until I find a style or custom one I like, better than nothing though. I think I might show up for the meet.

There is a guy at G&G guns here in lakewood that does custom leatherwork for a real reasonable rate if you're interested.

Saturday, I'll be showing up for the meat.

M1911s

So I was OCing while picking up apps today np. Btw king soopers shopping center on university is OC friendly on all sides of university & highlands ranch prkwy. Minus a hand full of shops here and there that I didn't go into. Anyways on the way back up wildcat prkwy got my first mwag call. Not to bad an exp. for the most part. Leo says its ok you can stop shaking your not in trouble your not under arrest. Thought through my head tell the officer with the AR in my face that and I might.

M1911s

So I read the Be prepared to deal with le at sometime (even at belmar) thread and didn't handle my encounter the other day properly. I was told to put my hands up and walk to the officers. This was after I turned around and realized there was three of them with guns drawn. Two with handguns and one with AR. Once I was close enough for them they had me turn around and serounded me. The lady officer disarmed me (didn't realize safty was on and couldn't pull the slide back) and when she was done they all reholstered their weapons. Had me put my hands behind my back. Removed my bag and patted me down and asked what was in my pocket I answered and he proceeded to remove the mentioned items. When he got my wallet he asked if he could retreave my id and I asked him if I had committed, on my way to, or suspicion of committing a crime and he gave me the check for felon excuse so I folded and let him. Next time this happens I have a better feeling of the stop and not allow/consent to search and removal of gun and items or id.

Ps
Since I have seen it come up on other leo stop threads I was carrying Para 1911 .45 and I'm only specifying cal cause I have a rock island armory 1911 9mm.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pardner!
Under the law, you were assaulted with deadly weapons while doing nothing to merit being approached with weapons drawn. You were most certainly violated. I'd file a complaint with the department in question.

Oddly enough, I have never had a problem in Highlands Ranch. After meeting you today, I can say there is nothing nefarious in your appearance. So what was their RAS? A MWAG call to their department? Not good enough! Open carry is a legal activity, and they violated your civil rights.

Complain to their IA department.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RebelWolf

Stories like this make my blood boil, I didn't fight for this country for agents of the law take away peoples freedom... Officers really need to quit being bullies, and pull their heads out of their four point of contact.

I'd be calling the local news stations, newspapers, lawyers, writing my congressman... heck, I'd talk to anyone that would listen, and tell the story of how some "thugs" pulled guns on me and violated my rights, while I was just minding my own business.

To the OP, I'm 100% on your side! Next time you go out, don't carry ID (not required to by CO law while not Driving), and refuse to comply with illegal searches (especially at gunpoint!), MAKE them get a warrant. It'll be hard for them to ID you when they can't bully the info out of you. Demand to speak to a supervisor, and tell them that they can't touch you, or your firearm (make them take it away from you, and object to them taking it away LOUDLY). Don't just "give in" they don't own you, and have no right to stop you from peacefully minding your own business! And the BS felon excuse.... It's just that, BS! I feel sorry for you having your rights raped! Next time fight back a little bit (respectfully of course), and let them know that you are not to be messed with, they might just back off. Tell them "I don't consent to searches, or seizure of my property." Read the "Stop and ID?" post, good information in there, as well as my article which has some empowering videos on what to do in similar situations. They also have good sitings of CO state statutes (with hyperlinks) that you might find useful for the future. Also, carry a recorder next time, CO doesn't require that you notify the other party of the recording (your phone might work).

At any rate, this sounds to me like the beginning of a nice settlement, and possibly some forced leave time for some "thugs." Press charges, and do whatever you can!

Peace be with you,

RebelWolf

P.S. Here is a link to the Colorado ACLU http://aclu-co.org/

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Stories like this make my blood boil, I didn't fight for this country so that agents of the law to take away peoples freedom... Officers really need to quit being bullies, and pull their heads out of their four point of contact.Peace be with you,

RebelWolf

P.S. Here is a link to the Colorado ACLU http://aclu-co.org/

Howdy Reb!
How is approaching a law abiding citizen, going about their own business and not bothering anybody, grounds for drawing their weapons? If any civilian did that, the charge would be assault with a deadly weapon. Why is that charge not appropriate for police officers who needlessly draw their weapons on a citizen? This would be just as criminal (in terms of behavior) as a citizen drawing their weapon and challenging a cop to provide identity to prove they aren't a felon posing as a police officer. After all, we've had a lot of issues in the area with police impersonators assaulting people in the metro area, so how can we citizens 'know' for certain that somebody wearing a cop suit is actually a cop? Should we draw on them and check their ID to be certain? Should having a pistol unholstered and low ready be an appropriate way to assure citizen safety while conducting an investigation? Should we have the wife take the officer's pistol and unload it for citizen safety until we have checked them out and verified their identity and legitimacy? And at the conclusion of such an encounter, should we be surprised if we aren't charged with assault with a deadly weapon?

So why in the name of all that's lawful should a cop have the grounds to approach a citizen without being charged with assault with a deadly weapon?

I think it may be time for a group of us to arrange a meet-up with the State of Colorado Attorney General! Demand that he make the situation clear to law enforcement, or slap charges upon such offenses committed under color of law against citizens who simply exercise their 2a rights.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RebelWolf

Howdy Reb!
How is approaching a law abiding citizen, going about their own business and not bothering anybody, grounds for drawing their weapons? If any civilian did that, the charge would be assault with a deadly weapon. Why is that charge not appropriate for police officers who needlessly draw their weapons on a citizen? This would be just as criminal (in terms of behavior) as a citizen drawing their weapon and challenging a cop to provide identity to prove they aren't a felon posing as a police officer. After all, we've had a lot of issues in the area with police impersonators assaulting people in the metro area, so how can we citizens 'know' for certain that somebody wearing a cop suit is actually a cop? Should we draw on them and check their ID to be certain? Should having a pistol unholstered and low ready be an appropriate way to assure citizen safety while conducting an investigation? Should we have the wife take the officer's pistol and unload it for citizen safety until we have checked them out and verified their identity and legitimacy? And at the conclusion of such an encounter, should we be surprised if we aren't charged with assault with a deadly weapon?

So why in the name of all that's lawful should a cop have the grounds to approach a citizen without being charged with assault with a deadly weapon?

I think it may be time for a group of us to arrange a meet-up with the State of Colorado Attorney General! Demand that he make the situation clear to law enforcement, or slap charges upon such offenses committed under color of law against citizens who simply exercise their 2a rights. YES!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

It's not grounds, I am 100% against officers being bullies, and doing this to law abiding citizens! I'm all for putting LEOs in their place when it comes to stopping a law abiding citizen. I believe that the Government is to big, and needs to be shrunk. The more that people stand up to the Govt., the better off we are as Americans.

Hope that clears my position up, as I feel you read my post as supporting the officers, which I DON'T.

Peace be with you,

RebelWolf

JamesB

M-T should run for office!

I'm not sure he's quite that full of himself or that full of s***.

Just joking M-T. We know you are.

(No, that was the joke.) Really. :)

p.s. I think a meet up with the AG is a great idea. Now if he would actually go for it... Too bad he'll probably want to do it in Denver if he will.

Last edited: