• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kuna High school stabbing

silver

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/16/1801727/kuna-high-school-student-stabbed.html

Heard about this story while listening to the Nate Shelnan show last week. Just thought id throw it up and hit on a hot-button issue: weapons at school. And maybe a little rant.
I am 19, 2 years out of high school and never even thought of problems like this. I occasionally carried a pocket knife at school, when i forgot to remove it from my pocket as i am aware of the ridiculous consequences if a student is found to have a small pair of nail clippers in his pocket. While i certainly didn't have a 5 " knife, what I did have I never displayed or pulled out in class, b/c the of the not-so-magnificent over reaction from faculty and staff it would have garnered.

My point is that i simply cannot believe the vilification "weapons" take at schools. Time and time again, where an aggressor presents a weapon and a potential victim produces his own, the antagonist backs down, in almost every case. In the case of this most recent Kuna high case, rather than (attempting) to remove the knife from the hands of the ass hol... i mean assailant, I would have like to see the victim (not governed by crime facilitating policies) pull his own and retaliate. Might it have ended in a knife fight which would have caused policy changes and maybe metal detectors and the whole 9 yards? maybe. But might also would leveling the playing field by the victim have caused a total deescalation and nothing reported at all? after all, this same thing is talked about almost everyday on this forum and many other places, who reports crimes that don't happen?

I would like to see the GFSZA totally revoked (yes a lofty goal i know), not to allow students at lower education schools to carry guns, i am in no way supporting that, but perhaps teachers could prevent columbines from happening. also, its more of a "weapons ban" than a gun ban, and isn't that what were talking about in this case?

You will note that in this article, the assailant first asked another kid for scissors rather than a knife to do his little "deed". will that change what schools in idaho and perhaps across the country see as "weapons at school". hopefully not.

input from anyone?

hermannr

If they take away the gun, those that wish to be armed will carry a knife, take away the knife, and they will use scissors, take away the scissors, they will use a baseball bat....etc.

The whole school weapon ban is garbage becasue it does not address the problem, and it leaves the asaulted unable to defend himself (or herself) What I saw in schools when I was a kid (50's) is no different than today...(and in the 50's you could take a rifle or shotgun to school) Bullies will be bullies, until someone puts them in their place. Also, the bullies and their buddies would never attempt to bully the kids that had any method of defending themselves.

I don't ever remembering anyone getting hurt by a gun in school. They were always put in the corner until class was out.

ecocks

Rumor has it that 100's of thousands of bats are sold every year in Easter Europe yet the sales of gloves and baseballs remains far, far lower......

Didn't one of the mail order sporting goods sites report a 4-digit PERCENTAGE increase in the sale of bats after the recent riots in the UK?

silver

If they take away the gun, those that wish to be armed will carry a knife, take away the knife, and they will use scissors, take away the scissors, they will use a baseball bat....etc.

The whole school weapon ban is garbage becasue it does not address the problem, and it leaves the asaulted unable to defend himself (or herself) What I saw in schools when I was a kid (50's) is no different than today...(and in the 50's you could take a rifle or shotgun to school) Bullies will be bullies, until someone puts them in their place. Also, the bullies and their buddies would never attempt to bully the kids that had any method of defending themselves.

I don't ever remembering anyone getting hurt by a gun in school. They were always put in the corner until class was out.

Exactly!
you could really take guns to class? sounds like that was an era more grounded in reality and responsibility that the social fluffy feel goody goody crap i grew up with.

hermannr

Exactly!
you could really take guns to class? sounds like that was an era more grounded in reality and responsibility that the social fluffy feel goody goody crap i grew up with.

Yes, and when my dad was in school, you could even do so in Canada. Schools had rifle and pistol teams, just like baseball and hockey teams today, some kids would go hunting or run a trapline after school. As most kids walked home from school, running a trapline after school was a good way to make money. (this was in Oregon in the 50's). You could purchase a rifle or pistol at almost any hardware store, or order what you needed from Sears or Wards, mailed to your house.

The worst firearm accident I saw back then was really sad. I was 8, and this other boy was 12. My dad was talking to his dad (a dairy farmer) and we were goofing off. He went a got out his "unloaded" brand new hunting rifle. He was going Elk hunting that fall (on their own property) and was demonstarting how he was going to shoot this big Elk he had seen in their pasture on and off all year. He pulled down on his dad's prize dairy herd bull, squeezed the trigger, and dropped that very expensive bull in it's tracks.

Must say two things...from then on I KNEW, all firearms are loaded, always, even if you think they are not...and NEVER point a firearm at something you are not prepared to kill. I still remember that insidence like it was yesterday, not over 55 years ago.

Last edited: