• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training at Front Sight

Jeff Hayes

Black Hawk holsters are fine just disable the retention device, unles they have changed the rules since July when I went last time. To disable the retention device place a small piece of material under the retention, I saw rocks and pieces of wood used. I go enough I eliminated the retention device so I have a dedicated holster for Front Site.

OldCurlyWolf

To me the ban on shoulder, fanny packs and cross draw is obvious. It so your muzzle will not sweep others on the firing line when there is more than 1 there. :cool:

600 rounds of Factory Ammunition?

For me using the cheap stuff that would be over $260 dollars. My good stuff would run over $700.

No matter how you cut it, it ain't cheap.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...It is normally 2 grand...

With all the offers throughout the years for memberships, limited-time clearance specials, and transferable certificates being given away and sold, I've always wondered if anyone has actually ever paid full price for one class...

I won a certificate at the NV State IDPA Championships a couple years ago. I took the 4-Day Practical Rifle course. It was definitely worth more than I paid for it in ammo costs and background check fees. That's right, they charge a $50 background check no matter what credentials you have. I THINK they do this every time you take a class. Someone correct me, please, if that is not true.

Overall, it was a good class. I'll hold back a full review to not hijack the thread. Anyone have questions, though, just let me know.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Good to know. I'll call them before I go but I will train with the rig that I will be carrying. What brand of Electronic ear protection do you use?

Walkers Power Muff Quads, they work well but go through 2 AAA batteries pretty fast, every 10-15 hours of use or so.

The background check is yearly BTW.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
To be clear, I think the class is worth the sale price of $70+$50+ammo. I live on the far side of Clark County from Nye County (where Front Sight is located), but I was fortunate to have friends that live in Pahrump so I had a free room. Most of you will probably have to figure that in as well.

I HIGHLY recommend taking the class in April or October. I took mine in October. Not too hot, not too cold. I was JUST right. The pistol ranges have a lot more shade than the rifle ranges though, so it's not as critical.

The following is from the experiences of a rifle class, but most will transfer to how they conduct their pistol classes as well. The lectures are in a common area taught to all students at the same time.

I would have preferred to shoot the class with my M1A SOCOM carbine with Leupold Scout Scope. This is my primary SHTF rifle and would have excelled in this class. But with 500 rounds of factory ammo ($) needed, I opted to use my Armalite AR15A4 service rifle with its Leupold Mark AR scope. The other advantage of an AR is that you are timed in clearing malfunctions and the AR's magazine is easier to use.

BTW, my team (3) won the shoot-off at the end of the class (46 students in our section.) I engaged the hostage-taker first (head shot), then my team took out the other two targets. Don't blink, or you'll miss it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofV_io9B2M&feature=channel_video_title

With the OP's permission then, here is the appropriate excerpt from the actual review that I emailed back to Front Sight after my class:

Overall, I am very happy with the instruction I received and its
practical value. I look forward to an opportunity to take another
class in the future.

The lectures were outstanding. Wes' experiences (good and sad ones)
were very motivating and well used. You are fortunate to have him on
your team.

There was quite a variety of appearances between instructors. I would
say that I was actually taken aback by some that appeared disheveled,
including my instructor Cannon with an unkempt beard to match the
sloppy uniform that many of the instructors had. However, I must say
that as soon as Cannon got started, I liked him. He was very good
with the details between rifles (though he needs to learn the manual
of arms for a Marlin Model 336; honestly, though, MOST owners of
lever-action rifles don't know the best way to load them). His crew
was very good, though Instructor Gass (the older gentlemen) needs some
reminders to stay away from the drill instructor attitude. At times,
I felt sorry for some of the guys and gals that had his attention.

The course could use more shooting time. For the expense of these
courses, there were too many students, requiring us to wait long
periods while the other guys were shooting.

Also, while I understand this is a Practical Rifle course, if you are
going to let us shoot at 400 yards, let us do more of it. Instructor
Gass would only let us shoot until we hit. Everyone else got to shoot
at least five rounds. There were many of us in his line that only got
to fire 2 or 3 rounds, after all that time and effort to move to the
400-yard line and wait our turn.

bearcreek

I bought one of the memberships about a year ago and still have not been able to make it out there. Are there any campgrounds near there that are cheap? With flying out there and car rental plus hotel it gets expensive fast.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There is camping (no services, just land) right outside the main gate. I think it is at no charge. Otherwise, everything is in Pahrump or Las Vegas.

Last edited: