• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB246 and "bad" cops

bmwguy11

I hope Fox 6 goes after them if MPD does not drop the charges.

Imagine if he had been photographing instead of video taping? It would be his word against those 2 officers. So guess what would happen then! And again if he'd been a CCW'er and AB246 had gone into law...

HandyHamlet

If you cannot be charged with Obstructing an Officer for refusing ID, I really do see how anyone can logically and rationally imagine that they could be charged with Resisting Arrest. That is an awfully, awfully big leap.

They can and do charge us with whatever they want and let the PA figure it out later. Wiretap laws twisted to be used as weapons against innocent citizens comes to mind.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?94807-AB246-Rep-Krug-s-reply-to-me

Looks like that leap is getting shorter every day.

Thanks to the OP for the post.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
This Is Exactly Why Changes To This Law Are Wrong.

This is why the changes to this bill are so bad. If this poor reporter had been carrying, he'd be facing a felony right now.

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-20110920-fox6-photojournalist-arrested,0,6130946.story

Saw this on Fox6 NEWS and knew it would soon be posted here. Thanks for posting!

First time the video guy has ever seen this happen in 48 years of reporting the NEWS. Anyone still think we should change the law?

bmwguy11

I forwarded this story to the rep who created this new bill, and basically told him "case in point" as to what my concern was.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
If This Can Happen To A NEWS Reporter......Well, What About The Average Person....

on the street?? This guy has the backing of one of the worlds largest NEWS organizations. What does the average person have?

This video also shows why it is extremely important to start the video recording as soon as you think there is going to be an interaction with LEO's. You never know if it will be a good police officer or a rogue.

Packfanatic

My vote is.......

on the street?? This guy has the backing of one of the worlds largest NEWS organizations. What does the average person have?

This video also shows why it is extremely important to start the video recording as soon as you think there is going to be an interaction with LEO's. You never know if it will be a good police officer or a rogue.

This one was a Rogue!

HandyHamlet

Maybe the lib media has now figured out they too live in the United Police states of AmeriKa

Bash the media all you want... But at least do it right.

If the lib media are just now figuring it out then how did this happen?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;..."

The media has ALWAYS been a target. You can't be a proper tyrant without controlling all information.

MKEgal

protias said:
I hope Fox 6 goes after them if MPD does not drop the charges.
I hope Fox & the ACLU go after them even after they drop the bogus charges!
The man was doing nothing different than the other bystanders, aside from using a camera.
HE was the only one harrassed, attacked, arrested, because he was exercising too many parts of his 1A rights (freedom of press & freedom of association).
The officer was acting under color of law, since there was no actual crime, no real reason to force the cameraman to move away from the other bystanders.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Handy, Thanks For The Link! Another Site Added To My Bookmarks.

Oh really? If only that were true.

http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

I also see that the judge in Illinois ruled that Illinois Wiretapping law is unconstitutional. All charges were dropped against the guy who had 5 felony hits against him for recording the police.

We need the U.S. Supreme Court to rule on this and end it. We also need to have "Qualified Immunity" scrubbed from the books for police officers forever. If there were no "Qualified Immunity" how many police officers would do the illegal crap they do?

My guess is "Not many".

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I'm seriously surprised that they didn't destroy the camera/disc on the spot, and claim it was broken when he was "resisting and obstructing". Looks like they pushed him back about 3 houses before they took him down for the arrest too.

It's a shame that this is happening everywhere lately.

IcrewUH60

For your own safety citizens, you will be herded up, pushed down to the ground, handcuffed and stuffed into a police cruiser. it's for your own safety, citizens.

HandyHamlet

The TOOL Flynn opens his mouth - with video!

Henry Rosoff FOX6 Reporter

11:37 a.m. CDT, September 22, 2011
WITI-TV, MILWAUKEE—

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn says the arrest of a FOX6 photojournalist could have been avoided if the photojournalist had simply followed officer instructions.

FOX6 Photojournalist Clint Fillinger went to the neighborhood near 27th and Townsend in Milwaukee late Sunday. While there, a Milwaukee police sergeant directed Fillinger to move away from the police tape.

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-20110921-flynn-clint-reaction,0,7386177.story

Everyone knows you can not stand by the police tape. Don't even look at it.

We are just drowning in a sea of @ssholes. And every one of them holds some sort of office. Except Pam Galloway for president.

oak1971