Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thigh Rig for OC, To much? or Acceptable for winter Open Carry.

Thigh Rig for OC, To much? or Acceptable for winter Open Carry.

Ok, winter is coming up and I am very much considering a quality thigh rig holster. My question is this something that would look like I just want attention either negative or positive? Or would it be something that would be acceptable as an alternative to waist carry in the non-summer months?

I ask because sometimes on the threads OC with thigh rigs has been criticized. Now I would prefer this thread to not referance the home made holster we all know about. This would be a factory holster by Safariland or Blackhawk. I am looking for opinions on whether or not this is an acceptable practice for OC.
    Last edited by NHCGRPR45; 09-21-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

I am not opposed to the use of thigh-rigs. I have never used one because I don't find them comfortable. I believe there is a negative perception that thigh-rigs look too militant for civilian use. There is the thought that those who use thigh-rigs are wanna-be cops. I do not subscribe to either one of these beliefs. I will say that if you decide to carry on your thigh, the draw is completely different and would require a substantial amount of practice.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-21-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Banned
    Its fine. Most of us have never tried it, I have, it works. Im going back to a thigh rig as soon as I can pick one up and the weather gets cold.

Banned
    Those who are for guns are going to remain pro gun, those who are against, are going to remain against. What it does do, is a better job of raising awareness for OC. I was able to cold contact many more people in that mode.

Its also easier to draw, faster, and more comfortable to wear. You can access your weapon more easily while sitting, and your access to your pockets is a little easier.

BTW, my home made rig worked better, and was more comfortable than the more "proper" store bought ones did. I still use the store bought one though, in case I want to dress up a little bit.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 09-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that simplicity and familiarity are friends to a person who carries a gun because...

-If the gun is always easily accessible then there isn't any confusion on what has to be moved, or how it has to be moved, today that is different from yesterday to get to it.

-If the gun is always the same gun then there isn't any confusion on how to work the thing under stress because the gun isn't any different today that it was yesterday...

-If the gun is always in the same place then there isn't any confusion as to where it is being carried today that is different from yesterday.

-Deviating from the simplistic and familiar only adds the possibility of hesitation/fumbling as a factor in responding to a real threat.

-Hesitation/fumbling is a bad thing when your life is on the line.

So... for me... I don't change which gun or where that gun is located. It is always in the same place. However, I will change my clothing to ensure that my gun is as easily accessible as it always is.

When cold weather arrived instead of changing where the gun normally is (which screws with that ...simplicity & familiar... thingy) I just bought a shorter insulated jacket that fits behind the gun/holster on my hip.

Which leaves the same gun I am used to using in the same place I am used to reaching for it with nothing in the way like I'm used to ... and cuts down on the hesitation/fumble factor.

Now that is just me.... Y'all might arrive at different decisions using different criteria....
    Last edited by Bikenut; 09-21-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned
    I somewhat agree, but I practice with both.

I drive more than one car, but if something were to occur that required my immediate and accurate response, Im not going to guess as to what I need to do.

Having made both statements, I still wont carry a weapon with a thumb safety though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Long ago I came to the conclusion that simplicity and familiarity are friends to a person who carries a gun because...

-If the gun is always easily accessible then there isn't any confusion on what has to be moved, or how it has to be moved, today that is different from yesterday to get to it.

-If the gun is always the same gun then there isn't any confusion on how to work the thing under stress because the gun isn't any different today that it was yesterday...

-If the gun is always in the same place then there isn't any confusion as to where it is being carried today that is different from yesterday.

-Deviating from the simplistic and familiar only adds the possibility of hesitation/fumbling as a factor in responding to a real threat.

-Hesitation/fumbling is a bad thing when your life is on the line.

So... for me... I don't change which gun or where that gun is located. It is always in the same place. However, I will change my clothing to ensure that my gun is as easily accessible as it always is.

When cold weather arrived instead of changing where the gun normally is (which screws with that ...simplicity & familiar... thingy) I just bought a shorter insulated jacket that fits behind the gun/holster on my hip.

Which leaves the same gun I am used to using in the same place I am used to reaching for it with nothing in the way like I'm used to ... and cuts down on the hesitation/fumble factor.

Now that is just me.... Y'all might arrive at different decisions using different criteria....
    I also believe that same place same time everytime is the best way to go for most. However I am familiar with useing drop leg holsters and am willing to do the required training to keep my draw sharp and quick. What do you think about the use of drop leg holsters as it applies to helping/hurting our cause?
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    I also believe that same place same time everytime is the best way to go for most. However I am familiar with useing drop leg holsters and am willing to do the required training to keep my draw sharp and quick. What do you think about the use of drop leg holsters as it applies to helping/hurting our cause?
    The answer to that question can be found by looking directly at your own self.. as we all should if we are interested in a "cause".

If your manner of carry, dress, behavior, why you carry, or why you carry where you carry, appear to be a bit over the top to further the notion of making OC normal and accepted then...

It is over the top as far as furthering the cause is concerned.

However the right to bear arms isn't restricted to furthering the cause to normalize OC.

All I can do is make decisions for myself because it is not my place to tell anyone what to do... I'm not that important.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Its fine. Most of us have never tried it, I have, it works. Im going back to a thigh rig as soon as I can pick one up and the weather gets cold.
    Do I want to know what happened to your falco leg drop/thigh rig?
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Leg drop/thigh rig = very fast draw from a standing position. It can draw the attention of antis/gawkers, but nothing will ever make them happy, other than you/us being disarmed . Another good option is a gun belt & holster at waist level on the outside of a longer winter coat. Warm & functional.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Do I want to know what happened to your falco leg drop/thigh rig?
    I have it, its kept in nice shape. I want it to dress up in.

I have it, its kept in nice shape. I want it to dress up in.
    Use it man! That's what it is made for

I used a blackhawk thigh holster every day for a year in Iraq, under those circumstances it was great but I doubt I would drag it out into the civilian world. I think the tactical advantages that carrying in that position offer are great but I personally would feel like I was drawing undue attention to myself carrying like that in the civilian world. I will say though, once you get used to how they "feel" they are very comfortable to wear and serve the purpose of providing a secure, readily accessible carry solution for high tempo events.

Banned
    I was thinking a silenced weapon in a thigh rig, and a rifle. At a school.

Don't forget they make belt holsters with 1 and 2" drops on them.... (maybe more) so those might be helpful too...

Personally, I've got a shorter leather coat that I usually wear, so I'm hoping that it won't be a big deall... I dohn't want to have to CC under my coat... though if I get my poocket pistol, it wil be in my coat pocket much fo the time.

Banned
    poocket pistol? Does that shoot hunny bees?

If I were to see someone that wasn't in a uniform with a thigh rig I would think that it was odd. I would also expect many people to be startled by it (which could lead to a few more MWAG calls) and I would expect antis to fearmonger about it. But I also think that it can help bring awareness to the cause and can help so long as you have thought about your answers beforehand and they are reasonable (things like easiest way to OC in the winter, or good accessibility while sitting, etc). And remember, if no one uses that type of holster then it can't ever come to be viewed as "normal" or "acceptable" to the general public.

So ultimately I think that it will come down to how you handle any situation that arises for if it will be helpful or harmful. But I would expect it to draw more attention than a "traditional" holster.

Banned
    ^ right.

Most people dont notice OC, if you're trying to get OC "out there" a leg drop is very effective.

I personally dont give a rats behind what some anti thinks. They endanger my safety, and destroy my country. If they are uncomfortable, then they will leave, and good for it as well.

Red face

ROFLMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDq7VaNKTJk

Banned
    I am known for my inspiring rhetoric as well.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    If I were to see someone that wasn't in a uniform with a thigh rig I would think that it was odd. I would also expect many people to be startled by it (which could lead to a few more MWAG calls) and I would expect antis to fearmonger about it. But I also think that it can help bring awareness to the cause and can help so long as you have thought about your answers beforehand and they are reasonable (things like easiest way to OC in the winter, or good accessibility while sitting, etc). And remember, if no one uses that type of holster then it can't ever come to be viewed as "normal" or "acceptable" to the general public.

So ultimately I think that it will come down to how you handle any situation that arises for if it will be helpful or harmful. But I would expect it to draw more attention than a "traditional" holster.
    Well the same things were projected just for hip OC...startled, not in uniform, scared, etc...

I know people that wear thigh rigs and they don't seem to have any more problems with it and get about the same reaction as OCing with a hip holster. The only way to get people used to something is to expose them to it. As always it's more the person than the holster.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

honestly around here most ppl dont say anything about my gun and for the last 2-3 weeks i been out every day with my thigh rig on(gettin' used to it for winter ) so if thats what you chose to winter oc in i dont think ppl would react any differently than when you have a regular holster on
    Carry On Friends

Banned
    Just be careful not to whack some kid in the head with it walking by in a crowd.

Better Hunny bees than poo... Though I could use it to shoot pooh.

Just be careful not to whack some kid in the head with it walking by in a crowd.

Is this the voice of experience talking?

Banned
    Almost. Toddlers are just the right height for that, and they dont watch where they are going.

Explaining to the parent of a screaming 3 year old how the kid got knocked to the ground with a scratch on thier face from your rear sights is not going to be a pleasant experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast