• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thigh Rig for OC, To much? or Acceptable for winter Open Carry.

NHCGRPR45

Ok, winter is coming up and I am very much considering a quality thigh rig holster. My question is this something that would look like I just want attention either negative or positive? Or would it be something that would be acceptable as an alternative to waist carry in the non-summer months?

I ask because sometimes on the threads OC with thigh rigs has been criticized. Now I would prefer this thread to not referance the home made holster we all know about. This would be a factory holster by Safariland or Blackhawk. I am looking for opinions on whether or not this is an acceptable practice for OC.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am not opposed to the use of thigh-rigs. I have never used one because I don't find them comfortable. I believe there is a negative perception that thigh-rigs look too militant for civilian use. There is the thought that those who use thigh-rigs are wanna-be cops. I do not subscribe to either one of these beliefs. I will say that if you decide to carry on your thigh, the draw is completely different and would require a substantial amount of practice.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Those who are for guns are going to remain pro gun, those who are against, are going to remain against. What it does do, is a better job of raising awareness for OC. I was able to cold contact many more people in that mode.

Its also easier to draw, faster, and more comfortable to wear. You can access your weapon more easily while sitting, and your access to your pockets is a little easier.

BTW, my home made rig worked better, and was more comfortable than the more "proper" store bought ones did. I still use the store bought one though, in case I want to dress up a little bit.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Long ago I came to the conclusion that simplicity and familiarity are friends to a person who carries a gun because...

-If the gun is always easily accessible then there isn't any confusion on what has to be moved, or how it has to be moved, today that is different from yesterday to get to it.

-If the gun is always the same gun then there isn't any confusion on how to work the thing under stress because the gun isn't any different today that it was yesterday...

-If the gun is always in the same place then there isn't any confusion as to where it is being carried today that is different from yesterday.

-Deviating from the simplistic and familiar only adds the possibility of hesitation/fumbling as a factor in responding to a real threat.

-Hesitation/fumbling is a bad thing when your life is on the line.

So... for me... I don't change which gun or where that gun is located. It is always in the same place. However, I will change my clothing to ensure that my gun is as easily accessible as it always is.

When cold weather arrived instead of changing where the gun normally is (which screws with that ...simplicity & familiar... thingy) I just bought a shorter insulated jacket that fits behind the gun/holster on my hip.

Which leaves the same gun I am used to using in the same place I am used to reaching for it with nothing in the way like I'm used to ... and cuts down on the hesitation/fumble factor.

Now that is just me.... Y'all might arrive at different decisions using different criteria....

Last edited by a moderator:

stainless1911

Banned
I somewhat agree, but I practice with both.

I drive more than one car, but if something were to occur that required my immediate and accurate response, Im not going to guess as to what I need to do.

Having made both statements, I still wont carry a weapon with a thumb safety though.

NHCGRPR45

Long ago I came to the conclusion that simplicity and familiarity are friends to a person who carries a gun because...

-If the gun is always easily accessible then there isn't any confusion on what has to be moved, or how it has to be moved, today that is different from yesterday to get to it.

-If the gun is always the same gun then there isn't any confusion on how to work the thing under stress because the gun isn't any different today that it was yesterday...

-If the gun is always in the same place then there isn't any confusion as to where it is being carried today that is different from yesterday.

-Deviating from the simplistic and familiar only adds the possibility of hesitation/fumbling as a factor in responding to a real threat.

-Hesitation/fumbling is a bad thing when your life is on the line.

So... for me... I don't change which gun or where that gun is located. It is always in the same place. However, I will change my clothing to ensure that my gun is as easily accessible as it always is.

When cold weather arrived instead of changing where the gun normally is (which screws with that ...simplicity & familiar... thingy) I just bought a shorter insulated jacket that fits behind the gun/holster on my hip.

Which leaves the same gun I am used to using in the same place I am used to reaching for it with nothing in the way like I'm used to ... and cuts down on the hesitation/fumble factor.

Now that is just me.... Y'all might arrive at different decisions using different criteria....

I also believe that same place same time everytime is the best way to go for most. However I am familiar with useing drop leg holsters and am willing to do the required training to keep my draw sharp and quick. What do you think about the use of drop leg holsters as it applies to helping/hurting our cause?

B

Bikenut

I also believe that same place same time everytime is the best way to go for most. However I am familiar with useing drop leg holsters and am willing to do the required training to keep my draw sharp and quick. What do you think about the use of drop leg holsters as it applies to helping/hurting our cause?
The answer to that question can be found by looking directly at your own self.. as we all should if we are interested in a "cause".

If your manner of carry, dress, behavior, why you carry, or why you carry where you carry, appear to be a bit over the top to further the notion of making OC normal and accepted then...

It is over the top as far as furthering the cause is concerned.

However the right to bear arms isn't restricted to furthering the cause to normalize OC.

All I can do is make decisions for myself because it is not my place to tell anyone what to do... I'm not that important.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Leg drop/thigh rig = very fast draw from a standing position. It can draw the attention of antis/gawkers, but nothing will ever make them happy, other than you/us being disarmed . Another good option is a gun belt & holster at waist level on the outside of a longer winter coat. Warm & functional.

Jesse

I used a blackhawk thigh holster every day for a year in Iraq, under those circumstances it was great but I doubt I would drag it out into the civilian world. I think the tactical advantages that carrying in that position offer are great but I personally would feel like I was drawing undue attention to myself carrying like that in the civilian world. I will say though, once you get used to how they "feel" they are very comfortable to wear and serve the purpose of providing a secure, readily accessible carry solution for high tempo events.

HKcarrier

Don't forget they make belt holsters with 1 and 2" drops on them.... (maybe more) so those might be helpful too...

Personally, I've got a shorter leather coat that I usually wear, so I'm hoping that it won't be a big deall... I dohn't want to have to CC under my coat... though if I get my poocket pistol, it wil be in my coat pocket much fo the time.

Aknazer

If I were to see someone that wasn't in a uniform with a thigh rig I would think that it was odd. I would also expect many people to be startled by it (which could lead to a few more MWAG calls) and I would expect antis to fearmonger about it. But I also think that it can help bring awareness to the cause and can help so long as you have thought about your answers beforehand and they are reasonable (things like easiest way to OC in the winter, or good accessibility while sitting, etc). And remember, if no one uses that type of holster then it can't ever come to be viewed as "normal" or "acceptable" to the general public.

So ultimately I think that it will come down to how you handle any situation that arises for if it will be helpful or harmful. But I would expect it to draw more attention than a "traditional" holster.

stainless1911

Banned
^ right.

Most people dont notice OC, if you're trying to get OC "out there" a leg drop is very effective.

I personally dont give a rats behind what some anti thinks. They endanger my safety, and destroy my country. If they are uncomfortable, then they will leave, and good for it as well.