• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thigh Rig for OC, To much? or Acceptable for winter Open Carry.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If I were to see someone that wasn't in a uniform with a thigh rig I would think that it was odd. I would also expect many people to be startled by it (which could lead to a few more MWAG calls) and I would expect antis to fearmonger about it. But I also think that it can help bring awareness to the cause and can help so long as you have thought about your answers beforehand and they are reasonable (things like easiest way to OC in the winter, or good accessibility while sitting, etc). And remember, if no one uses that type of holster then it can't ever come to be viewed as "normal" or "acceptable" to the general public.

So ultimately I think that it will come down to how you handle any situation that arises for if it will be helpful or harmful. But I would expect it to draw more attention than a "traditional" holster.

Well the same things were projected just for hip OC...startled, not in uniform, scared, etc...

I know people that wear thigh rigs and they don't seem to have any more problems with it and get about the same reaction as OCing with a hip holster. The only way to get people used to something is to expose them to it. As always it's more the person than the holster.

RenkaiWulf

honestly around here most ppl dont say anything about my gun and for the last 2-3 weeks i been out every day with my thigh rig on(gettin' used to it for winter :) ) so if thats what you chose to winter oc in i dont think ppl would react any differently than when you have a regular holster on ;)
Carry On Friends

stainless1911

Banned
Almost. Toddlers are just the right height for that, and they dont watch where they are going.

Explaining to the parent of a screaming 3 year old how the kid got knocked to the ground with a scratch on thier face from your rear sights is not going to be a pleasant experience.

NHCGRPR45

I used a blackhawk thigh holster every day for a year in Iraq, under those circumstances it was great but I doubt I would drag it out into the civilian world. I think the tactical advantages that carrying in that position offer are great but I personally would feel like I was drawing undue attention to myself carrying like that in the civilian world. I will say though, once you get used to how they "feel" they are very comfortable to wear and serve the purpose of providing a secure, readily accessible carry solution for high tempo events.

I used a Safariland one in Afghanistan and Iraq, so I now about the advantages of these types of holsters. Thank you for your service!

Just be careful not to whack some kid in the head with it walking by in a crowd.

:eek:

Almost. Toddlers are just the right height for that, and they dont watch where they are going.

Explaining to the parent of a screaming 3 year old how the kid got knocked to the ground with a scratch on thier face from your rear sights is not going to be a pleasant experience.

Yes, I can't see how that in anyway could be a good or productive thing. I've seen your pics so I would suggest raising the holster a little. Heres how I was told to measure correct draw length. Stand straight, Don't hunch shoulders and place arms by your side. You want your gun grip high enough so you can firmly get a hold of it without moving you upper torso in anyway.
That should help with toddlers heads.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I used a Safariland one in Afghanistan and Iraq, so I now about the advantages of these types of holsters. Thank you for your service!

:eek:

Yes, I can't see how that in anyway could be a good or productive thing. I've seen your pics so I would suggest raising the holster a little. Heres how I was told to measure correct draw length. Stand straight, Don't hunch shoulders and place arms by your side. You want your gun grip high enough so you can firmly get a hold of it without moving you upper torso in anyway.
That should help with toddlers heads.

Maybe not, he's pretty short...[no dig at your vertically challenged state Stainless ];)

This link gives a visual of his height. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48 {JK Stainless} Carry On!

xarmy9

my 2 cents

Carry however you're comfortable carrying (as long as you're within the law). If you're comfortable with a thigh rig, carry it. If you're not, don't. Personally I have a serpa with a quick release. I have a belt, paddle, and thigh rig. I use each one in different situations, and with the quick release, I only need one holster part, so it's less expensive. The thigh righ is nice because you have access to your pocket, and it's way more comfortable when sitting down or driving.

Again for me it's all about comfort. Not what someone else may think. It's not about "putting open carry out there" or anything like that. It's pure and simply about your comfort carrying.

Also, I used thigh rigs and regular holsters deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan before as well. There's a reason pro's wear thigh rigs. They're more comfortable, and leave you room on your belt, and access to your pockets.

Tucker6900

Having made both statements, I still wont carry a weapon with a thumb safety though.

I quit carrying my Ruger P345 for that very reason. If you look at a picture of the firearm, not only is it a thumb safety, it is nearly flat against the slide. So, getting it to ready position in a hurry is a pain in the butt.

I now carry a Smith and Wesson M&P .45. The only "safety" on the firearm is the trigger safety. Now, if needed, just point and shoot.

SovereignAxe

I somewhat agree, but I practice with both.

I drive more than one car, but if something were to occur that required my immediate and accurate response, Im not going to guess as to what I need to do.

Having made both statements, I still wont carry a weapon with a thumb safety though.

says the guy whose username is 1911 lol

SovereignAxe

lol. If I were to carry a 1911, I would probably just lock the safety up in the fire position.

with the hammer back? hmmm, idk about that. I've only fired one 1911 (and a .30 Carbine AutoMag, but I don't think that counts lol), but it didn't exactly have a heavy trigger or long pull. That would take more trust in the grip safety than I think I have.

fozzy71

with the hammer back? hmmm, idk about that. I've only fired one 1911 (and a .30 Carbine AutoMag, but I don't think that counts lol), but it didn't exactly have a heavy trigger or long pull. That would take more trust in the grip safety than I think I have.

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911. A series 80 1911 has 3 mechanical safeties that have to be released to make it fire: slide lock, grip safety, and firing pin block that doesnt move until the trigger is pulled.

I had one female barber tell me she was afraid my 1911 was going to go off accidentally while she cut my hair. I informed her I had yet to shoot a hole in the floor of the car that I drove there, so I was confident her toes were safe. ;)

DetroitBiker

Truthfully, most people don't even notice the thigh rig, too far below eye level.

Umm, They Notice

I myself wouldn't carry in a thigh rig with a CPL for EDC. just because I don't want to look a tacicool Douche.

That being said if someone didn't have a Cpl and were worried about a jacket or other clothing accidently covering their firearm

I would understand why they would wear one. Just my Opinion