Thread: Target ammunition opinions

Target ammunition opinions

My p220 stainless elite will be showing up in a couple days, just getting ready to order some ammo. I've decided to go with 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shok rounds for home defense etc, I'm debating on what rounds to get for target practice that will function as closely as possible to the Hydra-Shoks. I plan on putting 100 Hydra-Shoks through to ensure proper function first of course. Does anyone have any recommendations for target ammunition?

Ball ammo. The only ammo I would stay away from with Remington UMC (can never remember if it was the white or green box). I don't shoot aluminum or steel cased ammo either.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Ball ammo. The only ammo I would stay away from with Remington UMC (can never remember if it was the white or green box). I don't shoot aluminum or steel cased ammo either.
    why??????
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

IDK about trying to match up with the Hydrashock, but I find myself shooting a lot of Sellier and Bellot and American Eagle (by Federal). It's relatively cheap and not too dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    why??????
    Why ball ammo or why not Remington UMC? I'm guessing UMC. From what I've read from several people, they've had problems with FTF and FTE.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    IDK about trying to match up with the Hydrashock, but I find myself shooting a lot of Sellier and Bellot and American Eagle (by Federal). It's relatively cheap and not too dirty.
    I like Sellier and Bellot. I usually order ammo from Georgia Arms. Sure it is dirtier, but is also is several hundred dollars cheaper per case to buy reloads than to buy box ammo.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Buy the cheapest practice ammo you can find so that you are more likely to shoot them. Practice ammo does not need the same ballistics as defense ammo. You are not shooting for score, you are shooting groups. It is irrelevant if your practice ammo groups POA or 1" or even 12" from your defense ammo. You are practicing trigger control and NPOA. So long as your defense ammo groups POA, you are good to go. If your practice ammo stovepipes or FTE occasionally, that is all the better so that you are practicing your immediate action drills.

I use Blazer or the Winchester value packs for target practice. You can get both pretty cheap at Walmart.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I like PMC, Sellier and Bellot, MFS, and Magtech.
    Member:
    GOA-Life, NRA, WCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Buy the cheapest practice ammo you can find so that you are more likely to shoot them. Practice ammo does not need the same ballistics as defense ammo. You are not shooting for score, you are shooting groups. It is irrelevant if your practice ammo groups POA or 1" or even 12" from your defense ammo. You are practicing trigger control and NPOA. So long as your defense ammo groups POA, you are good to go. If your practice ammo stovepipes or FTE occasionally, that is all the better so that you are practicing your immediate action drills.
    For me at least:

Price of ammo dictates quantity and frequency of range time
    Cheaper Ammo means more trigger time
    More trigger time = more competency

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I use Blazer or the Winchester value packs for target practice. You can get both pretty cheap at Walmart.
    Ammo sales at walmart can be better than Christmas and a birthday combined

Semper Fi
    Poor Obama. All this time, he thought he had been placed in charge of the GovernMINT.

Boys and girls call 911
    Men and Women call 1911

Walmart WW White Box is a good buy. Otherwise, there is a pretty decent supplier in central WI - http://www.militaryshooters.com/ Once you start looking at the various calibers, use the "Ammo Finder" on the left side. They stock many types of ammo.
    Gun Control Defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning or carrying a firearm.

Activist Member
    Practice with what you plan to carry to make sure you know how it performs, then practice with the cheapest ammo you can find that runs reliably. Walmart has awesome prices, but if you save up for a bit to buy in bulk you can order ammunition online for much cheaper. The last time I did a check buying 9mm ammo at Walmart ran about 21-26 cents a round(that includes tax). Ordering it online ran 19-21 cents a round(that's shipped). Breaking it down to $/1k rounds, Walmart was $213-$256 and online was $192-$210 depending on brand. Huge savings? Depends on who you ask, but I see those savings as money I can spend on other supplies, like targets and maintenance products.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    i buy winchester always have always will i like them and they are resaonably priced

a buddy of mine has been using the a shells with the aluminum casings and hasnt had a problem shooting them
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

You should put some of your self defense round down range every 400-500 target rounds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    Practice with what you plan to carry to make sure you know how it performs, then practice with the cheapest ammo you can find that runs reliably. Walmart has awesome prices, but if you save up for a bit to buy in bulk you can order ammunition online for much cheaper. The last time I did a check buying 9mm ammo at Walmart ran about 21-26 cents a round(that includes tax). Ordering it online ran 19-21 cents a round(that's shipped). Breaking it down to $/1k rounds, Walmart was $213-$256 and online was $192-$210 depending on brand. Huge savings? Depends on who you ask, but I see those savings as money I can spend on other supplies, like targets and maintenance products.
    this!

for target practice I shoot the cheapest thing Wal-Mart carries, which is Federal Premium (lol @ "premium"). It's usually going for about 11.50 or so for a box of 50 which is even cheaper than WWB 100 count (which is ~$24). My groups are pretty poor with these rounds, but they're consistent and function reliably and that's what matters.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

I shoot winchester white box, tons of Milsurp, or anything else I can get a good price.
    Milsurp mostly. Just get a extra extractor if you shoot a lot of steel case. Steel cased ammo wears on the extractor a lot faster.