• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target ammunition opinions

Jesse

My p220 stainless elite will be showing up in a couple days, just getting ready to order some ammo. I've decided to go with 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shok rounds for home defense etc, I'm debating on what rounds to get for target practice that will function as closely as possible to the Hydra-Shoks. I plan on putting 100 Hydra-Shoks through to ensure proper function first of course. Does anyone have any recommendations for target ammunition?

protias

Ball ammo. The only ammo I would stay away from with Remington UMC (can never remember if it was the white or green box). I don't shoot aluminum or steel cased ammo either.

TyGuy

IDK about trying to match up with the Hydrashock, but I find myself shooting a lot of Sellier and Bellot and American Eagle (by Federal). It's relatively cheap and not too dirty.

protias

why??????

Why ball ammo or why not Remington UMC? I'm guessing UMC. From what I've read from several people, they've had problems with FTF and FTE.

IDK about trying to match up with the Hydrashock, but I find myself shooting a lot of Sellier and Bellot and American Eagle (by Federal). It's relatively cheap and not too dirty.

I like Sellier and Bellot. I usually order ammo from Georgia Arms. Sure it is dirtier, but is also is several hundred dollars cheaper per case to buy reloads than to buy box ammo.

Interceptor_Knight

Buy the cheapest practice ammo you can find so that you are more likely to shoot them. Practice ammo does not need the same ballistics as defense ammo. You are not shooting for score, you are shooting groups. It is irrelevant if your practice ammo groups POA or 1" or even 12" from your defense ammo. You are practicing trigger control and NPOA. So long as your defense ammo groups POA, you are good to go. If your practice ammo stovepipes or FTE occasionally, that is all the better so that you are practicing your immediate action drills.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I use Blazer or the Winchester value packs for target practice. You can get both pretty cheap at Walmart.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Buy the cheapest practice ammo you can find so that you are more likely to shoot them. Practice ammo does not need the same ballistics as defense ammo. You are not shooting for score, you are shooting groups. It is irrelevant if your practice ammo groups POA or 1" or even 12" from your defense ammo. You are practicing trigger control and NPOA. So long as your defense ammo groups POA, you are good to go. If your practice ammo stovepipes or FTE occasionally, that is all the better so that you are practicing your immediate action drills.

For me at least:

Price of ammo dictates quantity and frequency of range time
Cheaper Ammo means more trigger time
More trigger time = more competency

I use Blazer or the Winchester value packs for target practice. You can get both pretty cheap at Walmart.

Ammo sales at walmart can be better than Christmas and a birthday combined

Semper Fi

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Practice with what you plan to carry to make sure you know how it performs, then practice with the cheapest ammo you can find that runs reliably. Walmart has awesome prices, but if you save up for a bit to buy in bulk you can order ammunition online for much cheaper. The last time I did a check buying 9mm ammo at Walmart ran about 21-26 cents a round(that includes tax). Ordering it online ran 19-21 cents a round(that's shipped). Breaking it down to $/1k rounds, Walmart was $213-$256 and online was $192-$210 depending on brand. Huge savings? Depends on who you ask, but I see those savings as money I can spend on other supplies, like targets and maintenance products.

oliverclotheshoff

i buy winchester always have always will i like them and they are resaonably priced

a buddy of mine has been using the a shells with the aluminum casings and hasnt had a problem shooting them

TyGuy

You should put some of your self defense round down range every 400-500 target rounds too.

SovereignAxe

Practice with what you plan to carry to make sure you know how it performs, then practice with the cheapest ammo you can find that runs reliably. Walmart has awesome prices, but if you save up for a bit to buy in bulk you can order ammunition online for much cheaper. The last time I did a check buying 9mm ammo at Walmart ran about 21-26 cents a round(that includes tax). Ordering it online ran 19-21 cents a round(that's shipped). Breaking it down to $/1k rounds, Walmart was $213-$256 and online was $192-$210 depending on brand. Huge savings? Depends on who you ask, but I see those savings as money I can spend on other supplies, like targets and maintenance products.

this!

for target practice I shoot the cheapest thing Wal-Mart carries, which is Federal Premium (lol @ "premium"). It's usually going for about 11.50 or so for a box of 50 which is even cheaper than WWB 100 count (which is ~$24). My groups are pretty poor with these rounds, but they're consistent and function reliably and that's what matters.

MR Redenck

I shoot winchester white box, tons of Milsurp, or anything else I can get a good price.
Milsurp mostly. Just get a extra extractor if you shoot a lot of steel case. Steel cased ammo wears on the extractor a lot faster.