• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11/5/11 (new date) "Shoot for the Cure" Event - Breast Cancer Awareness

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Proactive Shooters is proud to announce our 1st Annual Ladies only “Shoot For The Cure” charity event!

On Saturday, October 29, 2011, we will be honoring National Breast Cancer Awareness Month with our 1st Annual “Shoot For The Cure” event. On that day, we will be conducting two, 3 hour sessions at our outdoor shooting range facility located in Doswell, Virginia. Bring your gun, some ammo, your questions, and more importantly your desire to donate to this worthwhile cause.

Proactive Shooters’ President and Chief Firearms Instructor Jim Reynolds will be there to answer your questions, and lead you in some shooting events to raise money that will be used to support local breast cancer programs here in Central Virginia.

What should you bring?
Your handgun – semi-auto or revolver, holster, 100 rounds of ammunition for your gun, eye & ear protection, and a strong desire to help find the cure!

The day’s events include a range/gun safety briefing, question and answer session, some shooting events where you can display your skills, or learn a new one, and then some fun shooting events where you can win some prizes. Participants will also receive a 2011 Shoot for the Cure t-shirt! Sessions will be held from 10am to 1pm, and then again at 2pm to 5pm. You may choose your session time when you complete the registration.

The cost for this 3 hour, ladies only event will be $50.00, with a portion of the proceeds being donated to support local breast cancer programs here in Central Virginia. Advance payment is required for this event. There will only be 20 slots for participants per session, so don’t delay in signing up!

Parking at the range is somewhat limited so we ask that if you are coming with someone, please try to carpool. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have about this great event!

You may register for this event here – http://proactiveshooters.com/register-2011-shoot-for-the-cure-charity-event/

sbuff

Great idea! My wife & I are supporters of the cause - her sister is a Survivor. She even has a pink camo bag for her AK! Unfortunatly she will be out of town for that weekend, or I would've signed her up and then told her about it. :) Hope it goes well!

Riana

I've announced this as a Meetup on the Shooting Divas of D.M.V. website as well. I know several of our ladies are involved in Breast Cancer fund raising and such, so some might be interested in helping support the cause.

Edit: Shortly after posting to our Meetup group, we've had four of our ladies sign up (and three have completed registration, as well - including me :cool:)

Last edited:

ProShooter

I've announced this as a Meetup on the Shooting Divas of D.M.V. website as well. I know several of our ladies are involved in Breast Cancer fund raising and such, so some might be interested in helping support the cause.

Edit: Shortly after posting to our Meetup group, we've had four of our ladies sign up (and three have completed registration, as well - including me :cool:)

Thank you very much!

Baked on Grease

Town Police Supply and Bass Pro Shops have joined us as sponsors for this event!

Sounds like you are getting popular before you even have the first event, congratulations!

If you fill up your 40 available slots, do you have a method in place to allow people to show interest so you can have an idea how many extra slots or sessions you need for next year? Just something to think about...

Sent using tapatalk

ProShooter

Sounds like you are getting popular before you even have the first event, congratulations!

If you fill up your 40 available slots, do you have a method in place to allow people to show interest so you can have an idea how many extra slots or sessions you need for next year? Just something to think about...

Sent using tapatalk

Haven't really thought about it, but we can certainly take down contact info for those interested who miss the cut off. We plan to do this annually so hopefully folks will sign up quickly when it is announced.

S

scubabeme

Hate to come across as a killjoy, but have you gotten permission from "Susan G Komen" to use the words "for the cure" on stuff?? I've heard of them going after entities with at least cease and desist orders for them using those words--they believe they have exclusive use of them.

Sure hope so, GREAT idea!

Last edited:

ProShooter

Hate to come across as a killjoy, but have you gotten permission from "Susan G Komen" to use the words "for the cure" on stuff?? I've heard of them going after entities with at least cease and desist orders for them using those words--they believe they have exclusive use of them.

Sure hope so, GREAT idea!

Various groups use "for the cure" and "for a cure". I dont believe that the phrase is totally exclusive to them. I've read the Komen guidelines and if you want to use the Komen name, you have to get their permission, but they have no issue with holding "anonymous" events and then donating money to them, if they end up being the charity of choice. There are many worthy Breast Cancer Awareness charities in Central Virginia.

S

scubabeme

Not so sure...

See:
http://www.wtflungcancer.com/your-reaction-to-komen-owning-for-the-cure-and-pink/
http://gaylesulik.com/2011/01/susan-g-komen-for-the-cure®-sells-out-the-pink-to-get-the-green/
http://blawgit.com/2010/08/06/susan-g-komen-directing-funds-to-trademark-fights/

It's not black and white, but I can well imagine an anti-gun nanny-state leftist high up in the organization taking extreme exception to an event such as this.

Let me know how it goes--if there aren't any issues, it might be worth expanding out here in the wild, wild, west!

Harper1227

Signed up

Looking forward to it and i think its an awesome idea!

Can we get people to 'sponsor' us? Are there any other ways to donate?

Last edited:

ProShooter

Looking forward to it and i think its an awesome idea!

Can we get people to 'sponsor' us? Is there any other ways to donate?

We wanted to keep it rather simply and not force folks to find sponsors. We do have some companies that have donated gift cards, etc and even a former student that purchased a gift certificate for our training classes that we'll give away as a prize. If someone wants to donate something extra to add to the donation, we'll be happy to add that in.

I will add that registrations have been a bit light so if you know any ladies interested, please have them sign up! :)

Last edited: