• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida jurisdictions scrambling to comply! Can we do it here?

Lovenox

Are you sure "adding another law" is the solution?

Another solution would be some recall elections charging some prosecutors with misfeasance for their failure/refusal to bring charges against those in Government who violate these laws (specifically RCW9.41.290;RCW9.41.300).

Somehow I feel that adding another law would just add to the number of those that are currently ignored and will also be ignored.

Which is more feesible: Adding one more law to strike down hundreds of other laws, ordinances, etc in conflict with state preemption or recall elections, charging government employees, etc??

amlevin

Which is more feesible: Adding one more law to strike down hundreds of other laws, ordinances, etc in conflict with state preemption or recall elections, charging government employees, etc??

The law that strikes down all these conflicting laws in various jurisdictions is there already and as it was pointed out in a previous discussion on this topic there is also a penalty for violating it. The crux of the matter is nobody is enforcing it. Putting a law in place requiring them to do so would just be another ignored law.

Solution is to take away the jobs of those who ignore the law, and who's responsibility it was to enforce it.

sudden valley gunner

The problem is that if most areas in Washington is like Whatcom County, the prosecutor is also the legal adviser for the council and the sheriff and the rest of the county gov. So who is going to prosecute? Without private prosecution the government isn't going to prosecute itself.

I think this needs to be a definite separation between these powers there is no checking and no balancing between them.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

the problem is that if most areas in washington is like whatcom county, the prosecutor is also the legal adviser for the council and the sheriff and the rest of the county gov. So who is going to prosecute? Without private prosecution the government isn't going to prosecute itself.

I think this needs to be a definite separation between these powers there is no checking and no balancing between them.

yep!

Lovenox

The law that strikes down all these conflicting laws in various jurisdictions is there already and as it was pointed out in a previous discussion on this topic there is also a penalty for violating it. The crux of the matter is nobody is enforcing it. Putting a law in place requiring them to do so would just be another ignored law.

Solution is to take away the jobs of those who ignore the law, and who's responsibility it was to enforce it.

How are you going to take those jobs away WITHOUT a new law?

FMCDH

You elect a Governor that has the back bone to upset the status-quo and hold state government accountable under the law which they are bound. Its not a matter of cant, its a matter of wont with the current one.

amlevin

Prosecutors, who are elected, can be recalled without any change in current law. I believe I mentioned that earlier. Since it's up to the Prosecutor to charge and prosecute those who break the laws, getting them to do their job, or "taking their job away" is one solution.