• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state bar of wisconsin officially opposing castle doctrine

BROKENSPROKET

That is what I have said from the begining.

Criminals will plead out for the best deal. On the other hand, a victimn, tried as a criminal, will spend everything the have to defend themselves in court. Family may also go into debt.

If they pass Castle Dotrine and/or Stand Your Ground, lawyers cannot financially rape victimns anymore.

Packfanatic

interesting

spoke with my state rep last week, he said he thinks their will not be enough support to pass the Castle doctrine

so the people we elect to represent us do not think we have a RIGHT to defend ourselves. In the next election we need to purge all lawyers, liberals, and anti gun idiots right out of office. There is no reason for the crooked lawyers to have a voice on what is best for us. The bar association can go straight to hell.

HandyHamlet

Am I wrong in my thinking that if it doesn't have enough votes to pass BOTH parties are guilty? Don't the Republicants have a majority?

Get rid of them all.

(Except Pam Galloway. Pam for president.)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
"But opponents, like the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Criminal Law Section, warn the proposed castle doctrine legislation could create unintended consequences"

Yeah, like less work available for lawyers who want to sue you or defend you from a lawsuit. Boo hoo.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
so the people we elect to represent us do not think we have a RIGHT to defend ourselves. In the next election we need to purge all lawyers, liberals, and anti gun idiots right out of office. There is no reason for the crooked lawyers to have a voice on what is best for us. The bar association can go straight to hell.

i agree with all of you 100% , we have to keep pushing them to do as they are told !

jpm84092

Castile Doctrine

To address comments by the WI BAR Association, as a former WI resident and UT CFP Instructor, I offer the following for consideration by this forum:

Under Utah Castle Doctrine Law, a person is justified in using deadly force in defense of persons, but not property. However, in UT, a person is justified in using deadly force to prevent the commission of a forcible felony within that person's residence or in any place a person has the legal right to be. (Burglary to a person's residence when any other person is also present is a forcible felony in UT.) Thus, UT Law assumes that anyone illegally entering a person's residence is doing so to, at the very least, with the intent to commit a forcible felony and to perhaps also commit aggravated assault, rape, manslaughter, or murder. And, UT Castle Doctrine Law defining the defense of a person's residence when another person is present extends to allow the use of deadly force to prevent an unwanted person attempting to enter a residence in a "violent, surreptitious, or stealthy manner". Thus, in UT, the guy trying to pry open your front door is subject to being shot through the door.

Burglary to occupied dwellings and assault to home occupants during burglary to an occupied dwelling really fell off after that law passed. Being a burglar to an occupied dwelling in UT is a very hazardous occupation and few criminals are willing to "chance it". And, that is as it should be in Wisconsin as well.

And in the many years that the UT Castle Doctrine law has been in effect, there have been no attempts by persons to use the letter of the law to murder another person. Just like Wisconsin is naive to concealed carry, Wisconsin is also naive to Castle Doctrine. The Wisconsin Bar Association is creating hypothetical boogey-men in an attempt to give criminals an edge and to further the careers of tort lawyers.

Packfanatic

BAR ASSociation

I spoke just now with my represenative .. the BAR association has no real input on the bill. This bill will be on the floor and up for a vote before the end of October. If it does not hit the floor for October it will be in Jan 2012 for sure. I think we should wait to see but i feel good about this passing very soon.

Packfanatic

+1000

Am I wrong in my thinking that if it doesn't have enough votes to pass BOTH parties are guilty? Don't the Republicants have a majority?

Get rid of them all.

(Except Pam Galloway. Pam for president.)

There will be enough votes for this to pass. Just keep track of those opposing and work hard in the next election cycle to oust them. The power of forums, social networking sites and all other means will help to rid us of those who do not honor our constitution,

BROKENSPROKET

I spoke just now with my represenative .. the BAR association has no real input on the bill. This bill will be on the floor and up for a vote before the end of October. If it does not hit the floor for October it will be in Jan 2012 for sure. I think we should wait to see but i feel good about this passing very soon.

Although I agree that the State Bar Assoc. will not be able to stop AB69 from getting passed, I strongly disagree with the first sentence in your post. The lobby power of the State Bar Assoc. is the reason that 'Stand Your Ground' language is not in this bill. :mad::banghead:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I spoke just now with my Representative .. the BAR association has no real input on the bill....
With many of our legislators being members or previous members of the Wisconsin Bar, don't you think each and every one of them will hear about this opposition over and over again from their old buddies...? "Hey old buddy, you'll be taking bread out of the mouths of my children if you pass this crazy AB69!" :mad::cuss::monkey

Packfanatic

Correct

With many of our legislators being members or previous members of the Wisconsin Bar, don't you think each and every one of them will hear about this opposition over and over again from their old buddies...? "Hey old buddy, you'll be taking bread out of the mouths of my children if you pass this crazy AB69!" :mad::cuss::monkey

you are 100% correct but that (if it were to happen) puts the ball in our court to get them out of office. It would take the effort of every OC 2nd Amendment supporter to convince others that we are tired of being infringed upon and now is the time for all good countrymen ( and women) to come together and vote them out.

Hope we can all be in agreement on this