• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A BRITISH father has been arrested on suspicion of murder after stabbing home intrud

Haz.

A BRITISH father has been arrested on suspicion of murder after allegedly stabbing a home intruder.

Vincent Cooke, 39 of Stockport in Greater Manchester, was released on bail yesterday.

Two men reportedly forced their way into Mr Cooke's home and threatened him before one of the alleged intruders suffered fatal knife wounds.

Mr Cooke was home alone on Saturday night when the men broke in, but his wife Karen and their 12-year-old son returned during the incident - although they managed to escape unharmed.

Paramedics treated the injured man - thought to be aged in his late 30s - but he died shortly after.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/dad-bailed-for-burglar-murder/story-fn6e1m7z-1226141306621

since9

Campaign Veteran
I find this interesting as it stands beside a post wherein a government-level prosecutor said they wouldn't charge folks for stabbing B&E criminals. Something involving a granny.

I suppose it's ok, as she couldn't be expected to overpower her intruder...

Knives are deadly, folks, and all manner of knives abound throughout the criminal world, even in London. A person armed with a knife can kill you in 1 second from 20 feet away, even if you never see the knife.

That's why I carry a gun. It has better range.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
I find this interesting as it stands beside a post wherein a government-level prosecutor said they wouldn't charge folks for stabbing B&E criminals. Something involving a granny.

I suppose it's ok, as she couldn't be expected to overpower her intruder...

Knives are deadly, folks, and all manner of knives abound throughout the criminal world, even in London. A person armed with a knife can kill you in 1 second from 20 feet away, even if you never see the knife.

That's why I carry a gun. It has better range.

+1

Still can't believe Great Britain took away people's rights to self-defense. :banghead:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
+1

Still can't believe Great Britain took away people's rights to self-defense. :banghead:

Out of all those people, none stood up. Would Americans?

Anywho, this topic title does not surprise me one bit. British. Who would want to live there? All my friends are always talking about OH MAN YOU GOTTA GO LIVE OVER SEAS YOU NEED TO PUT IN FOR ORDERS OVER SEAS...pffff FFFFFFFF*******KKKK DAAAAAAATTT

It's bad enough we have to get (in most places in the US) government permission to exercise rights we were born with, why would I want to go to a place like that (england)????

Last edited:

Haz.

The majority of young Australian men are doing something about our right to defend ourselves! Every weekend they go the the football, drink beer, go home drink more beer, cook a barbeque, whilst drinking more beer, then have some more beer. Then go out to a pub or club Friday night, maybe glass someone, punch up a few unarmed senior citizens and a few cab drivers on the way home, assult a few police officers who attend, get arrested, magistrate lets them off with another warning, they go home drink more beer, smoke some weed, more beer, passout and live in a daze untill next weekend to do it all again!

Radio talk back Monday Morning! Terrified citizens calling.

Radio announcer, Good morning, what would you like to say?

"Were sick and tired of this. Having to lock up ourselves at night. WE SHOULD BE UP IN ARMS OVER THIS!" Whats the government doing about this?

I say, what arms? O'h you mean the arms we stupidly handed in during the gun ban buy back? The governments doing nothing at all apart from further tightening firearms laws! Cheers Haz.

Contrarian

Brit father defends home

From the article:

"The incident is the third of its kind in the Greater Manchester area in the past four months. In June Peter Flanagan, 59, fatally stabbed an intruder at his Salford home after he was confronted by masked men wielding machetes. In July 72-year-old Cecil Coley stabbed a burglar at his shop in Old Trafford."

Searching on BBC news you find that Cooke and Coley were not charged with murder after all of the investigations were done.

Maybe they ARE starting to get it after all.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Britain lost the plot when they disarmed the legal gun owners in 1997

From the article:

"The incident is the third of its kind in the Greater Manchester area in the past four months. In June Peter Flanagan, 59, fatally stabbed an intruder at his Salford home after he was confronted by masked men wielding machetes. In July 72-year-old Cecil Coley stabbed a burglar at his shop in Old Trafford."

Searching on BBC news you find that Cooke and Coley were not charged with murder after all of the investigations were done.

Maybe they ARE starting to get it after all.
In 1997 when all handguns were confiscated ie being turned in to your local PD for approx $100 per weapon or face jail time for possession after the date of confiscation.
Fast forward 15 years britain is awash with handguns in the hands of the criminal element. A citizen may possess a shotgun or rifle but must register and license the weapon every 12 month failure to do that will land the citizen in jail and or fined and weapon confiscated. The best protected citizens in britain are the farmers shotguns and rifles in every farmstead. unfortunately that will never help the citizens living in cities and towns ..

Sig229

In 1997 when all handguns were confiscated ie being turned in to your local PD for approx $100 per weapon or face jail time for possession after the date of confiscation.
Fast forward 15 years britain is awash with handguns in the hands of the criminal element. A citizen may possess a shotgun or rifle but must register and license the weapon every 12 month failure to do that will land the citizen in jail and or fined and weapon confiscated. The best protected citizens in britain are the farmers shotguns and rifles in every farmstead. unfortunately that will never help the citizens living in cities and towns ..

You forgot to mention another key point.
If you do legally own a shotgun or rifle in the UK, the local police are allowed to knock on your door unannounced and inspect your firearms, your ammo, your safe and other parts of your home.

Ali3nat0r

To own a firearm on a firearm license here, you must show a "good reason" for why you need every gun. Some shotguns come under the less restrictive shotgun license, which doesn't need justification for every individual gun, but you still have to show a "good reason" why you need the license. Self defence is not a good reason for either license, according to the nanny state.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Even if one could get onboard with the concept of giving up personal firearms, how in the world does one, especially an Englishman with such a history of self-sufficiency, then go on to give up the fundamental right to self-defense by any physical means as well? Boggles my mind....

Sig229

Even if one could get onboard with the concept of giving up personal firearms, how in the world does one, especially an Englishman with such a history of self-sufficiency, then go on to give up the fundamental right to self-defense by any physical means as well? Boggles my mind....

After brainwashing the last few generations, apparently its not as hard as you think.
Hell, you can be arrested in the UK for just having a pocket knife with a locking blade.

Sig229

Yeah, I know, but do you know how badly I wish that you were totally, absolutely wrong about that? :-(

I wish I were wrong as well.
as I said previously, my family is from Scotland (UK) and I always wanted to live there for a couple of years just to experience my families birthplace.
But because self defense is not a basic human right in that nation, I refuse to live there.
I stay once in a while for a week or two, bit thats it.

As a side note, the violent crime in the UK has been sky rocketing the last couple of decades and I/we can only hope the British populace will wake up and demand their rights e reinstated.
I wont hold my breath though......