• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boardman Open Carry

mcametal

Anyone here from the Boardman area that open carries? I've been doing it for the last week with no problems thus far. I even emailed the Chief and spoke to a Captain about the legality of it. I have not had them called on me yet.
I'm considering carrying in Mill Creek the next time I go. Anyone have experience there? I called and the Officer on duty said not without a ccw. I didn't feel like arguing so I said good bye. If anyone wants to do a walk somewhere in the area let me know.

mcametal

I knew the officer was incorrect. I didn't feel like educating him at the time. Quite often when they are unaware of the law they make up their own. :mad:

Curt

Mcametal, I live in Youngstown and I have never open carried (around here) before. I am an ex-Army guy and I went to Iraq for a year and got used to carrying a weapon everyday. It makes me feel more comfortable. Anyway, I just found out a few days ago that there arent any laws against open carry so I am kinda new to this whole idea. Now I am reading about it A LOT and I cant wait to give it a try and see how much I am harrassed. Anyway, I would gladly participate in any open carry walks or something like that. Im kinda nervous about just walking around with my Glock 26 exposed. Not because it's illegal, but becuase I am 26 years old and Black! I get the feeling a trigger happy cop would just shoot first or at least he and a few of his cop buddies would lie and make up a story about how I was doing something illegal. Anyway, Im just saying, if you are a caucasian person, they might give you the benefit of the doubt and decide to talk about it with you first, but with me, I think I am almost certainly going to be made an example of one way or another! Lol. Anyway, if you're not affraid to walk beside a black guy with a gun for fear of being named my accomplice, lets give it a try downtown or something.

ADulay

Curt,

As an former Army guy myself (Viet-Nam) I'd walk with you in an open carry state anytime.

It's interesting that you've brought up the "color" thing and open carry.

In my full year of open carry down here in Florida, I've not come cross anyone else OC'ing of color. But now that you think about it, that does make sense and mainly because of your reasons!

I've talked with a lot of black guys while fishing and we've always had a good discussion about guns, fish and the "problems" they said they'd have if they tried to do what I do daily.

Anyway, if I ever get up north to visit my brother in Ohio, I'll see if you guys are around for a coffee somewhere!!

AD

William Fisher

Curt,

As a caucasian man I'd like to say BULLSIT concerning the race thing. But then I would be FULL OF **** if I did. It is a sad thing that it still happens, but any HONEST PERSON would have to say "Yeh, it does. Wish it weren't so though.

William

Curt

Yea William, I completely agree. I dont ever pull the "race card" when things dont go my way. Im not one of those "The white man is trying to keep a brotha down" people Lol. I never had anything handed to me in my life. I went to public schools and although they were crappy, the opportunity was there for ANY KID who wanted to learn. I gruduated high school and joined the Army, did 4 years Active Duty with one deployment to Iraq, and my wife did 5 years Active Duty in the Army as well. Now we both use our GI Bill to go to college at YSU. I feel like we did our part as Americans to serve our country and we are not only entitled by birth to our rights, we EARNED them. The thing is, I KNOW that any cop that sees me walking with a pistol is gonna freak out Lol. He is not going to see me as a law abiding, Iraq Vet, college kid. He is just gonna see young.... black.... and "Hes got a GUUUUNNN!" Lol. And no, I am not just talking about white cops, I know that any black cop would freak out and do the exact same thing if not worse. And unfortunately, I have my peers, the other black men my age to thank for this. It is no secret that my race and age group commit the most violent crimes, thefts, robberies, drive by shootings and all of that other crap. I hate to be racially profiled but at the same time, when I look at the situation from a cops perspective, they know who the "usual suspects" are and they draw from past experiences. If 95% of the time, they assume something and turn out to be right, then that 5% is acceptable to them. Sterotypes didnt just come out of nowhere. Basically, I would like to open carry because I know I have the right to do so, but I dont want to be Right and Dead! Dead wrong and dead right are both dead Lol! So if I could try this whole thing out with a few more people around, I would feel a lot safer.
Maybe after a few cops have seen me carrying openly, and we talk about it, and they are made aware that it is legal, then the next time they see me they wont freak out, or stop me and go through all of the questioning. Thats basically what I am hoping for. After enough cops know that it is legal, and know that I exercise my right to do it, maybe I will be able to walk around by myself, without them assuming that I just got done robbing a liquor store or snatching a purse.

William Fisher

Curt

First, Thank you and the MRS. for your service. I appreciate it. Wish we lived closer, I'd do a OC with ya. Haven't done it often but do so occassionally. I can imagine a black cop telling you how ya just giving the white man an opportunity to say "see. Look.', He's got a gun, Scaring decent white folks". A friend and I were talkin awhile back about how ya can put black, white oriental ,asian, polka dotte and striped kids together in a room. They'll drink after one another, eat after one another and lick suckers and popcicles after one another and think nothing about it. Then they have some anus orifice in thier life go teaching them the hatred. Stay away from them there (we all now the words) people. They ain't no good. Things are BLANKED UP. They good loving people of all races and walks of life that could add so much to our own sight if only we weren't so blind.

William

RCall

Now I am reading about it A LOT and I cant wait to give it a try and see how much I am harrassed. Anyway, I would gladly participate in any open carry walks or something like that. Im kinda nervous about just walking around with my Glock 26 exposed. Not because it's illegal, but becuase I am 26 years old and Black!

I can agree with you on the age perspective on the issue (im 23) when i open carry i feel as though when people stare they're thinking holy crap a kid with a gun. And i dont have the money saved to support my family while im in jail if im wrongfully arrested until im reimbursed for legal fees and such when i take legal action against the municipality if such an issue shall arise.

mcametal

Mcametal, I live in Youngstown and I have never open carried (around here) before. I am an ex-Army guy and I went to Iraq for a year and got used to carrying a weapon everyday. It makes me feel more comfortable. Anyway, I just found out a few days ago that there arent any laws against open carry so I am kinda new to this whole idea. Now I am reading about it A LOT and I cant wait to give it a try and see how much I am harrassed. Anyway, I would gladly participate in any open carry walks or something like that. Im kinda nervous about just walking around with my Glock 26 exposed. Not because it's illegal, but becuase I am 26 years old and Black! I get the feeling a trigger happy cop would just shoot first or at least he and a few of his cop buddies would lie and make up a story about how I was doing something illegal. Anyway, Im just saying, if you are a caucasian person, they might give you the benefit of the doubt and decide to talk about it with you first, but with me, I think I am almost certainly going to be made an example of one way or another! Lol. Anyway, if you're not affraid to walk beside a black guy with a gun for fear of being named my accomplice, lets give it a try downtown or something.

I would not mind meeting up and giving downtown a try :D

zack991

I would not mind meeting up and giving downtown a try :D

I live in Austin town and have carried in Youngstown a few times, do be careful the cops there are not very friendly towards people who open carry and CHL as it is. If I was not deployed, I would be happy to join you both and in groups, the police are not as rude I find on the issue. Who knows we may run into a number of officers I seen on a nightly bases working armed security in Youngstown and many are very friendly, but there are officers who hold the belief that civilians have no business carrying. As for mill Creek Park, I have carried there one time there and I was stopped rather quickly. He was noticeable nervous when he stopped me and we talked for a while, he was very surprised it was legal to open carry. He noted to me that they do not teach open carry at the YSU academy at all. YSU usually tries to get a slot to a few of their graduates of their police academy there,my uncle who works there says they don't see much of anything there besides writing tickets and don't handle change well. I will be home middle of September from deployment and if you both have not gone I will be more than happy to go with you, I would advise bring a good voice recorder you can place in a pocket. If it helps practice at home what you would say if stopped so you don't mis speak by accident. Maybe to a trash pick up get together I have seen work as well.

Last edited: