• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is gun safety?????

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Seriously. WTH do political assassinations have to do with gun safety?

Of course there is also the lies about how only Government Authority Figures should have gun. This thing needs a major rewrite. Obviously who ever wrote it did it in protest and tried to slip in as much anti-crap as they could.

GasCharged

I got to page 15.
I believe it doesn't get any better, it can't.
Where is the truth about the 2A, naw it couldn't have gotten past page 15.

GasCharged

Another thought....
Kids are smart even being that young....
What would the teacher say to a student when he/she says my Mom and Dad carry guns all the time and the are not cops....

Blk97F150

What would the teacher say to a student when he/she says my Mom and Dad carry guns all the time and the are not cops....

The teacher would probably say nothing directly to the student.... but instead call social services and report some sort of abuse/neglect because of the presence of firearms..... :uhoh:

The world really has gone that mad.... :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just finished looking at the "Gun Safety" classes that can be taught in schools this year. They are a far cry from the NRA Safety classes I took in grade school. These are more like "Be afraid" classes.

This takes you to the proposed curriculum.
http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/meetings/2011/09_sep/agenda_items/item_b.pdf

Thought that this was going to be based on the Eddie Eagle program. Instead it's a not so casually produced anti hit piece.

The final approval date was projected to be 9/22/11. Anyone know what happened?

Cmdr_Haggis

I'm no educator and my kids are way to young for elementary school, but why doesn't the BoE just adopt Eddie Eagle and incorporate him in to the lesson plans? All this stuff about Finnigan the Fox and there is already a perfect "mascot" for gun safety and kids. (Is it just me or does old Finnigan look like a copy of the Firefox mascot?)

Edit: do these sorts of things come up for public discussion or do we just hope our legistators are able to see this proposal for what it is?

Last edited:

2a4all

This poposed curriculum seems to be based on the notion that "In spite of our desires to the contrary, guns exist in the homes and lives of our students. How can we (educators) make students aware of this "problem"?

It will be interesting to hear the teacher's response when some kid reports that s/he watched the "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer Christmas Special" on TV, and that Yukon Cornelius has a gun. I hope s/he also reports that their recently purchased Yukon Cornelius tree ornament doesn't have a gun, and asks what "What did he do?"

On a more serious note, I reviewed the proposed curriculum and noted that:

There is no mention of the role of firearms (they're always called "guns") for self defense;

There is no mention of the role of firearms as tools of the criminal or how a kid should react in the face of such a danger (stop, drop & roll equivalent?) (with the possible exception of the references to movies, TV and video games (I bet GTA will be a popular discussion));

There is no mention of the legality of Open Carry;

There appears to be a theme that only certain "government sanctioned" personnel and/or "sportsmen" should have guns.

Granted, many of these topics can be way too complex for an elementary school class, but omitting them leaves the program incomplete.

Some kids will inadvertantly "rat out" their parents or other family members. What should the teacher (be required to) do with this information? What about kids who have lost family or friends to a shooting?

Last edited:

Cmdr_Haggis

There is no mention of the legality of Open Carry;

There appears to be a theme that only certain "government sanctioned" personnel and/or "sportsmen" should have guns.

Granted, many of these topics can be way too complex for an elementary school class, but omitting them leaves the program incomplete.

Some kids will inadvertantly "rat out" their parents or other family members. What should the teacher (be required to) do with this information? What about kids who have lost family or friends to a shooting?

Perhaps a good solution would be to put liner notes in the curriculum which does say that open carry is perfectly legal and that many folks do carry a firearm. Then at least the teachers themselves know these facts and are better prepared to answer those sorts of questions from their students. Just as the general public is only becoming aware of open carry, so, too, are many teachers I'd wager.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Apparently, according to the document, per18.2-308 those of us who carry for personal protection without possessing a CHP are not doing so lawfully.

That bothers me for a number of reasons. Primarily, citing 18.2-308 as "the law" regarding the authority for the carrying of firearms for personal protection suggests that only concealed carry of a handgun is allowed unless you are a cop or carrying out ordered military activity.

Having "discovered" this on pages i and ii of the Introduction, I stopped reading so I could go find my meds and take them before reading any further. There are not many breakable objects in my cave, and the few there are cost a fair sum to replace. I'd like to spend my money for other reasons.

It seems this document will need to be pored over and a line by line review will need to be submitted to the various Powers That Be, notifying them of both factual inaccuracies and attempts at indoctrination as opposed to safety instruction.

Someone go saddle up my donkey, as I expect there are a great number of windmills in need of being tilted at.

stay safe.

TraumaRN

"An even larger number of children are hurt by nonfatal gun-related injuries." page 8

Larger than what? This statement comes out of the blue with no preceeding numbers.

In 2009, 18 individual injuries age <14 discharged from hospitals in Virginia, though there could be a lower number of kids injured since you can sustain more than 1 injury (probably related to different body areas involved)

10 deaths for 2009, half of which were labeled as homicide.

So for 2009, under age 14, 5 deaths and less than 18 injured. These are very sad but does it justify the need for a statewide referendum for elementary schools, especially when there is a program available from the NRA.

Stats from:

http://www.vahealth.org/Injury/voirs/

2a4all

Apparently, according to the document, per18.2-308 those of us who carry for personal protection without possessing a CHP are not doing so lawfully.

That bothers me for a number of reasons. Primarily, citing 18.2-308 as "the law" regarding the authority for the carrying of firearms for personal protection suggests that only concealed carry of a handgun is allowed unless you are a cop or carrying out ordered military activity.

Having "discovered" this on pages i and ii of the Introduction, I stopped reading so I could go find my meds and take them before reading any further. There are not many breakable objects in my cave, and the few there are cost a fair sum to replace. I'd like to spend my money for other reasons.

It seems this document will need to be pored over and a line by line review will need to be submitted to the various Powers That Be, notifying them of both factual inaccuracies and attempts at indoctrination as opposed to safety instruction.

Someone go saddle up my donkey, as I expect there are a great number of windmills in need of being tilted at.

stay safe.
Perhaps this is one of those instances where no (OC prohibition) law doesn't work to our advantage because it can't be referenced.

You're probably right about the windmills, but you'll more succsssfully tilt them from an elephant!

I also didn't notice any reference(s) to either the US Constitution (2A) or the VA State Constitution (Art 2, Sect 13). Are they waiting for middle school civics classes to address these issues?

The Wolfhound

Better to just ignore those truths they find unpleasant.

Why would they want to mention legal OC or the 2A? That might not get the right message to "The Children". Where is that head banging into a brick wall icon when I need it?............

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I sent an email asking why there are no firearms instructors on the advisory committee.

Hunter safety ain't gonna cut it this time (like the CHP acceptable training law). I'm still scratching my head over that one.

ETA - I just looked up some of the acronyms under people's titles. One person is some kind of archery coordinator......

Archery? really?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why would they want to mention legal OC or the 2A? That might not get the right message to "The Children". Where is that head banging into a brick wall icon when I need it?............

Happy to provide it........:banghead:

If you can't see the icons/smilies, then your options are not set up to allow same.

As a general statement, IMHO this program is NOT what our legislators envisioned - it needs to be fixed!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I sent an email asking why there are no firearms instructors on the advisory committee.

Hunter safety ain't gonna cut it this time (like the CHP acceptable training law). I'm still scratching my head over that one.

ETA - I just looked up some of the acronyms under people's titles. One person is some kind of archery coordinator......

Archery? really?

But, but they are educators - wooops that is the problem