• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Open Carry in the USPS ?

Cmdr_Haggis

Do you know what the word facility means?

Found the definition:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 930

§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

IANAL, so I'm not sure what "a part thereof" means.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Found the definition...
Indeed. It means a building or part thereof.

Federal facilities (that is, buildings) are covered by USCs930, and 39CFR232.1 addresses Post Offices specifically. Neither addresses Federal property in general, though the notion though the notion continues to be put forth on this forum and others.

If there were a general ban on firearm possession on Federal property, we wouldn't be carrying in National Parks, I wouldn't have shot many matches on military installations, and so on.

JamesB

More than you do, apparently.

(hint: Do you know what the word facility means?)

Without copying again the definition above, I belive he is refering here to "facility" means "building". It does not mean "parking lot" or "surrounding property, whether fenced or not."

Regardless, I think I'll wait untill after the latest case goes through the courts before I decide to make a stink and place my own freedom in question.

JamesB

There is another new case going through here in Colorado that started after the McDonald v Chicago verdict was in. I can't remember the name of it right now, but I'll try and find it again.

In the mean time... No, just don't.

There it is! Bonidy v. USPS.

From what I understand, the case is actually taken a small step instead of going for the whole enchalada. Currently it is just to consider carrying in or on the postal grounds (parking lot). Read more about it here:
http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/12/bonidy-v-usps-postal-service-moves-to.html
Lawyer for this case is Jim Manly, who is also involved with the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus v. Colorado State University.

Eagerly awaiting verdicts in both of those.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Without copying again the definition above, I belive he is refering here to "facility" means "building". It does not mean "parking lot" or "surrounding property, whether fenced or not."

Regardless, I think I'll wait untill after the latest case goes through the courts before I decide to make a stink and place my own freedom in question.
Right, 18USC930 is applicable to Gov't buildings. However, based on 39CFR232.1 and case law, I wouldn't carry on PO property.

And I agree... hopefully court cases will change things...

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
(hint: Do you know what the word facility means?)

what I know is trumped by the law's definition. defined here
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. ]

From another thread I believe everyone came to the conclusion that "part thereof" covered actual land, thus why having a gun in your car on a military installation is prohibited.

IF this is not the case, does anyone know what you are to be charged with when caught with a gun on a military base? any SPs out there?

EDIT: Any SP's that actually know the law?

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
what I know is trumped by the law's definition. defined here

From another thread I believe everyone came to the conclusion that "part thereof" covered actual land, thus why having a gun in your car on a military installation is prohibited.

IF this is not the case, does anyone know what you are to be charged with when caught with a gun on a military base? any SPs out there?

EDIT: Any SP's that actually know the law?

I can't accept that "part thereof" covers Federal land in general. For example, prohibition against, and recently, allowance of, carry in National Parks was handled independent of 18s930.

Also, firearm possession on military installations is not prohibited. I've done it legally many, many times. It's simply controlled by the base commander and controlled by the base's regulations.

If found with a gun on a military installation, and that gun is possessed outside of the installation's regulations, you could be charged with violating those regulations.

I too have wondered exactly how one might be charged in such an instance.

ocholsteroc

Also, firearm possession on military installations is not prohibited. I've done it legally many, many times. It's simply controlled by the base commander and controlled by the base's regulations.

The only base I know you can bring a gun on is Camp Allen for the shooting range,

what are you talking about?

firearm possession on military installations is not prohibited.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DrMark

The only base I know you can bring a gun on is Camp Allen for the shooting range,

what are you talking about?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DrMark

firearm possession on military installations is not prohibited.

Military installations is OT for this thread and perhaps deserving of its own, but to wrap this up, Dr. Mark is right.

Carrying on military installations is NOT illegal per say - no law against it - the base commander (or higher up) sets the rules. I have carried at FT. Lee (range) and think of Camp Perry. Then there is the drive through situation at Quantico.

nuc65

Activist Member
I'm still not certain if one can legally open carry in a US Postal office?

Any information would be appreciated.

One might argue that the quoted references that end with"
...other lawful purposes.

Might allow one to carry on federal property... The gun control act of 1968 defines a lawful purpose as being "carry for personal protection."

nuc65

Activist Member
One might argue that the quoted references that end with"
...other lawful purposes.

Might allow one to carry on federal property... The gun control act of 1968 defines a lawful purpose as being "carry for personal protection."

I also tend to think of the USPS office as being a public gathering place where meetings and gatherings might occur (post office boxes) not a sensitive place.

MackTheKnife

Federal/postal carry

The Code of Federal Regulations is the over arching guidance for the post office. As for Federal buildings, 18USC44 was quoted. 18USC950 also applies. In that law it states that it must be posted that firearms are not allow to ban carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Code of Federal Regulations is the over arching guidance for the post office. As for Federal buildings, 18USC44 was quoted. 18USC950 also applies. In that law it states that it must be posted that firearms are not allow to ban carry.

What? Translate please!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP In that law it states that it must be posted that firearms are not allow to ban carry.

My firearms like it when I carry them, my 1911 would never ban me from carrying it. :D

I believe you were trying to say that post offices must have the firearm prohibition posted by law.

Badger Johnson

I sometimes fantasize about standing across the street from a banned, or GFZ while the employees are being held up, showing my HG, and wagging my finger, illustrating they'll just have to fend for themselves if someone 'goes postal'.

OK, slow day here, hehe.