Thread: Gun toting: There's a new law in town

Gun toting: There's a new law in town

Here is news fresh off our press. now it looks like they may be including OC along with CC. I hope one of you wise owls can reply and see if 66.04090is being infringed upon. Here is the article.
    RIVER FALLS--Starting later this fall, those who apply for and get a state license will be able to walk around in public with a gun or knife.

There will, however, be places where carrying such a weapon won’t be allowed, such as: police station, jail, prison, county or state courthouse, municipal courtroom in session, school grounds.

“Agencies are working on procedures for implementing the law, and this will take some time as we all learn the effects of the new statute,” River Falls Police Sgt. Jon Aubart said.

The application process relating to Wisconsin’s new Concealed Carry Law opens Nov. 1.

Aubart said applications won’t be handled at the local police station. They will be available through the Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ).

Aubart said the DOJ is developing license applications. The aim is to have a system in place on its website by Nov. 1.

Persons can submit applications by mail. There’s a license fee, still undetermined, but not to exceed $37, and a $13 background check fee.

Aubart said the new state law won’t dramatically change local police enforcement, other than an officer may question someone with a gun to ask if the person has a carry-and-conceal permit.

The DOJ says a person with a gun should also be prepared to show a photo I.D.

Further, it says that, during any contact with police or any law enforcement officer, people with a gun or knife should say they have a concealed weapon, where it is and that they are licensed.

Knives are allowed under the new carry-and-concealed law, but not switchblades.

The law allows those licensed to carry a handgun, but not a machine gun, a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun.

According to the law, people without a state permit can’t bring a handgun into a bar. Bar owners can also, at their discretion, ban anyone from bringing a handgun inside their business.

Shop, office and store owners also have the option of keeping out licensed gun carriers. Those owners must post a sign at least 11 inches square stating this restriction at entrances to their buildings.

Aubart said that, under current law, those driving around with guns have to keep them unloaded, encased, not hidden and not within reach.

Under the new law, he said those licensed will be able to carry in vehicles a concealed weapon--handgun, knife, electric weapon or billy club.

Long guns, however, will still be required to be encased, unloaded and not within reach.

The new gun law will be a “big change” at UW-River Falls, says Blake Fry, special assistant to the chancellor.

Fry said that, nationally, college campuses have already been dealing with this issue.

That’s because Wisconsin was one of only two states prohibiting citizens from carry concealed weapons.

Wisconsin law banned concealed weapons on university property.

Now that’s all about to change.

Unlike police stations and courthouses, the new Wisconsin gun law did not give a blanket exemption to universities. A request was made by the UW-System for such an exemption, but the request was denied by the state legislature.

The new law does allow universities to keep guns out of campus buildings. Fry said there are some states where gun owners can bring their firearms into campus buildings, including classrooms.

UWRF has ordered close to 200 5 x 7-inch signs at a cost of about $750 to be posted next month outside every campus building entrance, including the dorms.

Director of Risk Management Connie Smith said most of the new “No firearms/weapons” signs will adhere from inside windows by doors. Some may be laminated to the outside of a door.

Fry said campus gun restrictions will also apply to certain “controlled outdoor events,” such as concerts and football games at Ramer Field. Again, for those, warning signs will be posted on a gate or poles.

Fry said UWRF will work hard next month to get the word out to students and staff about how the concealed carry gun law will affect the campus starting in November.

Phil Pfuehler is editor for the River Falls Journal.

Yup, we can carry everywhere. Whoops, nope, can't carry because some sign says so. That should keep out the criminals right?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    <snip> Shop, office and store owners also have the option of keeping out licensed gun carriers. Those owners must post a sign at least 11 inches square stating this restriction at entrances to their buildings.<snip>
    So does that mean they are requiring a sign that is wider and taller than that specified in Act 35 or are they saying a sign that is 3.7 inches wide and 3 inches tall will meet their standard???
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Anyone have a reliaable count of the percentage of college and university students that are 21 years old or older?

an officer may question someone with a gun to ask if the person has a carry-and-conceal permit.
    They can question all they want, but unless they have RAS of a crime they can't compel someone to present their permit & ID. And carrying openly (other than in the places still restricted to licensees, cops, & criminals) isn't RAS.

The DOJ says... during any contact with police or any law enforcement officer, people with a gun or knife should say they have a concealed weapon, where it is and that they are licensed.
    But it's not required, & given the over-reaction of cops in WI, as well as other states, it seems to be a bad idea.
    If the officer, in the course of an official interaction, demands to see your cc permit, it must be shown if you are carrying concealed. You don't have to say anything.

According to the law, people without a state permit can’t bring a handgun into a bar.
    Wrong. The current law in re guns in bars won't change other than to exempt people w/ a permit.
    Long guns are & will remain allowed.
    Hand guns are & will remain allowed carried openly w/ permission.
    Current law does not prohibit those carriers from drinking alcohol. (There are other threads about that.)

Under the new law, he said those licensed will be able to carry in vehicles a concealed weapon
    True as far as it goes... but people without licenses can also carry openly in vehicles.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-23-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Lightbulb We Can Now And Will Then Be Able To Open Carry In A Bar With Consent...That Doesn't..

change the law currently in effect. I recently open carried at Lizzy's Lounge with three other open carriers. Sat right at the bar.

Oh, and no I.D. required nor CCW permit for open carry. I hope everyone keeps that in mind. If what happened in Michigan happens here expect LEO's to demand your "permit and I.D." when they see you open carry (may have to if in a vehicle open carrying). Some LEO's will think an open carrier MUST provide I.D. and permit and....I'm sure some will demand we carry concealed if we have a CCW just as some have done in Michigan.
    Last edited by rcawdor57; 09-23-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added more content.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

McX
    so are we talking free beer here or what?

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    Only for me, none for you.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Here is news fresh off our press...
    FYI -- Rule 11

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Only for me, none for you.
    somehow i knew that was coming. honk if you can hear me.

Talking Well, As A Matter Of Fact.....

The Lounge is very nice! I hope more of us frequent their Lounge. I'm sure if you bought enough beer you would eventually get a free one. Or not.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

somehow i knew that was coming. honk if you can hear me.
    In due time, in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    The Lounge is very nice! I hope more of us frequent their Lounge. I'm sure if you bought enough beer you would eventually get a free one. Or not.
    Their prices are pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by sheller View Post
    Now that it is advertised that Lizzys is gun carry bar friendly, I am sure the no gun fans that go there will be watching consumption closely. Takes not much at all to get to .02.
    There is no limit to alcohol consumption and carrying a firearm, so the point is moot. Not to mention, "Oh no, someone is drinking a beer and nothing is happening" hysteria...

The point is not moot as it will be tested at the above establishment within a few months. Law enforcement will gladly administer sobreity tests. No hysteria, it is called responsibility.
    I think you'll see not much of anything. There is no epidemic of bad behavior in all the other states with CC laws. It's really just a bunch of hysteria and posturing until any of this comes to fruition to a degree that warrants all of the banter.

The point is not moot as it will be tested at the above establishment within a few months. Law enforcement will gladly administer sobreity tests. No hysteria, it is called responsibility.
    I guess all the states who respect people's right to bear arms and carry have so many problems. Oh wait, there isn't a problem! If this was such a problem, we would hear about it.

I have been in the Tavern mentioned above a few times "on my own" open carryiing. No problems. Keep in Mind that the owner (Lizzy) is very open carry friendly (hence OC at Lizzy's Green Cafe). She is used to and very comfortaable with OC'ers in her place. Not all tavern owners will have the same feelings about OC as Lizzy does. I would say Lissy welcoming OC'ers in her tavern is more of the exception than the norm.

Ok yea, when i was there drinking I would say about 98% of my drinks were free...

As a personal choice because I was carrying and wanted to stay a while, I was drinking Mountain Dew.

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Still learning

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    FYI -- Rule 11

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
    Ok. I am still new to computers compared to my kids or anyone else on the blog. I worked math from the tables book and charts, and used that machine where you had to turn the handle after you depressed buttons in order to get a result etc... So Ill get my son to show me how to post a link.

You forgot "in my opinion".
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

to think a little sign on a door will prevent a wacked out criminal from killing 15 people & wounding 6 others before taking his own pathetic life is Insane & Idiotic to say the least. These administrators need to be fired for being a danger to society.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    I have been in the Tavern mentioned above a few times "on my own" open carryiing. No problems. Keep in Mind that the owner (Lizzy) is very open carry friendly (hence OC at Lizzy's Green Cafe). She is used to and very comfortaable with OC'ers in her place. Not all tavern owners will have the same feelings about OC as Lizzy does. I would say Lissy welcoming OC'ers in her tavern is more of the exception than the norm.

Ok yea, when i was there drinking I would say about 98% of my drinks were free...

As a personal choice because I was carrying and wanted to stay a while, I was drinking Mountain Dew.

Outdoorsman1
    Free soda equals a big tip when you leave... at least I would
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???