• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Former employee uses boss's OC to in a police report...

Fabricator

Two weeks ago our office manager noticed that our bank statement was off.... A little research showed that a former employee (terminated a month prior) had cashed a duplicate of his payroll check (while working for me). It was not signed by me (I'm the "signer" on the account), but a check-cashing joint processed it anyway. After speaking with them, they were cooperative enough to review video survaillance and corroborate that this fella indeed passed the check personally on the prescribed date. I called his cell phone from their lobby, and politely told him that he needed to meet me at his bank and clear this up in an hour; otherwise I would have to file a police report. I catered to him by telling him that I was certain it was all a mixup and I never in my life thought he was responsible; I additionally suggested that we could set up some sort of payment plan to reimburse my company and keep him out of trouble. Of course, I was bending the truth, as I knew he did it, but did not want him to flee the area. He agreed to the terms/meeting, and after waiting well over an hour without hearing from him, I filed the report. An hour later, I hear from the Deputy that took my report that this guy said I assaulted him with a firearm; specifically, that I chased him down in an intersection and had a gun openly on my side. I allegedly threatened him and he was afraid.... This guy knows that I OC, as he worked in our office for several months. Unfortunatly for him, I was on the video survaillance at the check-cashing place during the time of the assault (in fact I was there 20 minutes before the alleged incident, during AND 40 minutes after). After calling the our local PD, I was able to have the officer, whom took my accuser's report, call me.

Officer: Where are you right now?
Me: In my office.
Officer: Do you know "XXX" person?
Me: Yes, he is a former employee
Officer: Were you at the intersection of EE Butler and ML King this morning?
Me: Yes
Officer: Do you carry a gun?
Me: Yes
Officer: But do you carry it openly on your side? You don't have it concealed?
Me: The firearm is holstered on my side openly.
Officer: Can you tell me where you were at 11:57am today?
Me: Yes, I'll send you a copy of the video footage, and a recording of the call I made to Mr "XXX". I was at "XYZ Check cashing" for over an hour, and the time you gave me was in the middle of that hour. You can see my truck in the parking lot, and see me on the phone with Mr "XXX". I will obtain phone records from AT&T, and know of a witness in the lobby whom commented on a freud case from her business; she overheard the call.
Officer: Thanks! You made that really easy, I'll let you know what investigator gets assigned to this, and you can get them that information tomorrow....

At this point the conversation went into casual discussion of thieves, guns, banks and such; he recognized my shop, and knew someone whom knew me etc... He said he wished more folks were willing to protect themselves, both with guns, and recording devices... I have since given the investigator the pertinent information, and we are waiting on "warrants" to do their thing, as they will be picking In the meantime, my situational awareness is on overdrive. This fella has really gone off the deep end, and could become vindictive. It is shameful for this fella to do what he did with the check, and even more so to make an accusation to try and "counter-attack" me for doing the right thing. I will be making sure Gainesville PD follows through with his "false statement" as well.

Fabricator

Fabricator

No evil laughter from PD; just a tone of disbelief that this was actually that cut-and-dry. I got the impression that many of these calls end up as a "he said-she said" situation.... This is actually the first of two check freud cases we've dealt with in 10 days.... I'll let you know what happens next...

Fabricator

Badger Johnson

Are you Fabricating this story. (har-har).

Seriously, get a lawyer and sue him for defamation of character, also. (or something like that - IANAL)

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

It seemed to work out well this time but talking to police is dangerous. What if you were on your lunch break, or you mistakenly gave the wrong time? Then you would have been suspect and police might have gave credit to the jerks report.

I made this mistake talking to police on the phone last year, just won't do it anymore, hopefully it isn't serious next time.

OldCurlyWolf

Not really nitpicking but I noticed you calling this a Freud case. Freud is/was a supposedly barrier breaking Psychoanalyst who was latter proven to be quite mistaken in his theories. This is a Fraud case. In this case Check Fraud, which could be either one of the higher misdemeanors or a felony.:banana:

MR Redenck

I hate a theif!
Hate a lying theif even worse!
Glad you shared this story because I never even emagined this happening to a person who carries. Good thing the cop was realistic in his investigation because you could have been really screwed.

Fabricator

Aknazer; you are correct.... My spelling could use some work... The check in this case was just under $500, so it's not a felony. The investigator theorized that the "assault" report given was designed to intimidate me into dropping my theft/fraud case; this cold change a judges view of the false report and stiffen his penalties. The second check mentioned (different former employee a week later) WAS over $500, and is also a forgery. That's a felony for him.

Regarding "talking to the police"; Fortunatly, I was on camera that morning from 8:30 till 2PM at three different banks. I suppose that my travel between them could have been questioned; however it was my "lucky day" as the banks are only 2 blocks apart and never put me near the intersection in question. Additionally, I saw several area business owners out and about as I went between the banks whom could corroborate my route between the banks. The perp also screwed up when he described my clothing (I wasn't in my uniform shirt like normal, AND was carrying a black FN-P40 and not the silver snub-nose revolver described to PD). Since I OC, the gun was clearly visible in the video.

I will be assisting/pressuring PD to get the maximum penalty for this fella. I gave him a job, even bailed him out of jail once (at that point I was sure I'd hired a loser). I offered him the "leg up" so many folks need, and to no surprise of my own, he took advantage of my kindness.

Fabricator

Badger Johnson

When he says 'be careful talking to the police' he means business. It IS dangerous even if you're the 'victim'. LEOs are trained to look at the complainant as well as the perpetrator for evidence of criminal activity and their primary goal is to arrest. They are not here to serve and protect any individual. Sometimes you get lucky and get an ethical person who truly wants to help you. But in most stalker cases, they won't do anything until after the victim is deceased.

You can accidentally 'trip yourself up' even innocently, just by being nervous and 'misspeaking'. Cops are trained to recognize voice stress and some can read microexpressions. ALWAYS go through your (reputable) lawyer. He can not be tripped up and if HE makes a mistake about your comments or whereabouts its not attributable to you. He can correct his version quite easily and say the info was mis-transcribed. But if YOU make an error even an innocent one, it can come back and thwart your testimony. Watch both 'don't talk to police' videos and see how innocent comments can be used against you. Nobody ever got out of an arrest by talking more.

HTH and good luck.