• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good LEO encounter

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you don't like it, work to get the Constitution changed. All of these laws enacted by the states are perfectly within the state's rights to enact. Or work to get the laws of the state changed. You're coming close to advocating non-compliance when you are in fact breaking the written law. I am a firm believer in following the law, and if you're not following the law, paying the price of the prescribed penalty. I work to get laws changed so that it's better and clearer for everyone involved. This officer in this case followed the law and let the OP go within minutes. A minor intrusion considering he was in fact violating the law. An intrusion that could have gone much worse if the officer chose to be a jerk about it.

--Moderator deleted personal attack--
How dare you accuse me of "coming close to advocating non-compliance"?

You can't accuse me of sedition, rebellion, or even civil disobedience, so you invent a new accusation to support getting all worked up. "Coming close to advocating non-compliance"!! Oh! Noes!

Bwhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

Hey! Somebody tell Rosa Parks to get to the back of the bus. And, keep her mouth shut! Not only is time-honored civil disobedience railed against, but even coming close to advocating it deserves assault on the close-to advocate!

I see he gave up trying to accuse me of being a danger to civil society. I guess that's something. I'm now somewhere in between being a menace to civil society and coming close to advocating civil disobedience.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Last edited:

GeoffD

Citizen, I have much respect for those who can rationalize beyond "common knowledge and social norms", and beyond what most would accept as acceptable. You sir, are an inspiration!

Just saying...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Boy scout,

Have you noticed that Citizen has over 11,000 posts? If he was advocating for "non-compliance" he would have been kicked off the board a long time ago. Do not criticize him for saying things that you lack the courage to say. Citizen, keep the wisdom coming.

hermannr

Do you carry the gun on your hip while driving?
I cant do that, its too uncomfortable. I like to put my gun in the console where I can get quick access to it and not have the seat belt hanging up on it. By doing this, I have no reason to submit a carry license because the gun is in the console.

I also OC on my right hip. I think the big thing is the design of your seats, and the holster. Once I have my seatbelt locked in place, and the strap under the carry. I do not even feel mine (until I need to release the seat belt.) (custom holster)

The only difference is, I have been stopped a few (very few) times since I received my CPL. No need to inform, I have not, and have never been asked. In WA your CPL is tied to your drivers license, when they check (if they do) your DL, they know you have a CPL...and like I said, I have never been asked for it.

The last time I was stopped the guy was looking for DUI. "He said" I had not dimmed my headlights...well, I have those Zeon headlights so he may have had a complaint, I think he was bored...anyway...not a question about my carry as has been normal in my experience (it was 02:00)

Last edited:

boyscout399

--Moderator deleted personal attack--
. How dare you accuse me of "coming close to advocating non-compliance"?

You can't accuse me of sedition, rebellion, or even civil disobedience, so you invent a new accusation to support getting all worked up. "Coming close to advocating non-compliance"!! Oh! Noes!

Bwhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

Hey! Somebody tell Rosa Parks to get to the back of the bus. And, keep her mouth shut! Not only is time-honored civil disobedience railed against, but even coming close to advocating it deserves assault on the close-to advocate!

I see he gave up trying to accuse me of being a danger to civil society. I guess that's something. I'm now somewhere in between being a menace to civil society and coming close to advocating civil disobedience.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

And how dare you accuse me of being a statist. I am far from it. However I don't support or advocate breaking the law in order to get change to occur. I also wasn't accusing you of breaking the law either. I was merely pointing out that some could read your post as supporting breaking the law just because you don't agree with it, and that is what I am against. I don't want others to act outside the law because they get inspired by your post.

Flashlight

For those who are opposed to this leo's actions,

Consider how many times a fishing expedition started by something as simple as a burned out light has led to an arrest for much more serious charges. Could there be a passenger in the back smoking weed, or an illegal firearm under the passenger seat, or a spare tire full of cocaine in the trunk? All these are possibilities that have happened before and will happen again. Since I have nothing to hide I don't mind answering a few questions or if I have the time, allowing a search. It has been my experience (four out of five) that being cooperative and consenting to a search results in NO SEARCH and NO TICKET. That last one I really deserved so I won't complain. Bottom line is, lighten up and make their day with a positive stop (cause most don't) and it will get you far.

First of all there is no such thing as a positive LEO encounter. Why consent to a search? How do you know that a passenger or service person didn't drop some stuff in the back seat? Why give the police an opportunity to plant some stuff in the car? Why willingly give away your freedoms? When you get stopped open your window just far enough to hand out your papers, remain silent when they ask questions and never tell them that you are armed.

carry for myself

Do you carry the gun on your hip while driving?
I cant do that, its too uncomfortable. I like to put my gun in the console where I can get quick access to it and not have the seat belt hanging up on it. By doing this, I have no reason to submit a carry license because the gun is in the console.

i do. i carry in a serpa cqc with a harsh forward cant. that coupled with the fact that i am 6'4 means i have to drive with the seat partially reclined anyway. so there is no pinching or obstructing of the weapon. doing dry run tests in the driveway i can unholster in the car almost as quickly as i can out of the car standing up :).

as for the rest of the things on here. few points.

my vehicle WAS in violation of the law. period
the leo had every RIGHT to stop me under Maine Law. period
it was my PERSONAL CHOICE to inform the officer that i was armed. he had a second officer with him who was approaching the passenger side and i DID NOT want a "oh **** bob he has a gun" situation to arise. even though maine is not a "shall inform" state.
my deminor as my previous posts show is that i 99% of the time DO NOT pick fights with LEO's on OC, UNLESS my direct rights are CURRENTLY being violated. i do NOT make waves. no reason for it i would rather have a good raport with the local cops than a bad one.

my rights at this stop were in NO WAY violated whatsoever. and i did BREAK A LAW whether or not i was aware of it at the time i DID. the officer again had EVERY RIGHT to stop me under current Maine law and i was LUCKY i did not recieve a citation for the infraction. however i do believe that the fact that i informed the officer FOR BOTH OF OUR SAFETY. that i was carrying probably played a good part in me not getting a ticket. so im glad that i did it.

now with that said. i do not know why there is such a huge debate over whether the officer violated my rights. so i will answer that.....again...NO HE DIDNT. end of story. im alright. to me it was a GOOD encounter because my rights were NOT violated, i was not arrested. disarmed, harassed, insulted, assaulted or otherwise harmed so that in itself makes it a GOOD stop. those members of OCDO who believe i was harassed need to re-read the constitution and get a better grasp on what is in it, a better grasp on our rights and realize that sometimes. cops have rights too. and take a xzanex or something and chill out. :)