Thread: Need ideals for a good holster

Need ideals for a good holster

Just got a new bike and need a good holster for carrying when riding since my firearm wont fit under the seat.
    I should be picking up soon a glock 19/17 or 21 not sure yet

Safariland 6378. Nice holster.

How about one like mine from blade-tech. You may not need the one that accommodates the light and laser, but it has great retention and I like the modular mount. I can move the whole holster from my belt, to my thigh rig, to the dash of my truck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316790655.956684.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	6976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316790688.696982.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	6977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316790731.883958.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	6978  
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

What is your preferred method of carry? Hip, crossdraw, sob, shoulder, iwb? Is this for OC or CC? When I ride all of my holsters work for me. I guess it would depend on your body type if you were trying to cc, though.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    What is your preferred method of carry? Hip, crossdraw, sob, shoulder, iwb? Is this for OC or CC? When I ride all of my holsters work for me. I guess it would depend on your body type if you were trying to cc, though.
    I agree with the above; we could use more information.

Or, maybe you are looking for carry method suggestions too? When I ride, I carry either in an OWB, retention holster (Bianchi CarryLok) or a shoulder holster (Falco). The Falco is a great shoulder holster, at a great price, but I don't think they are importing them any more.
    IBTL

OC on a Bike! RETENTION!!!! don't care about the brand, don't care about the method, you will care about retention very much if you dump your bike.....

I plan on cc in portland and in washington il OC and right now i have a fobus paddle for my hi point c9 and i didnt like that. I do plan on a glock now I can afford one so I can ditch the hi point. lol

Ok, well here are a couple of things. The other guys are right. Retention on a bike is important. Now remember this because I have gotten into arguments with people at some gun shops about this. Retention does not just apply to serpa holsters. Retention is any holster that physically restrains the weapon. That can mean serpa or thumb break.
    Now if you want something you can conceal I would stay with a belt slide holster. The reason is because they tend to pull the gun up against your body. I would also try to find something that rides high. Serpas do not conceal well even if you have the belt attachment.
    Take a look at a Galco Cop 3-slot. They run for about $60. It is a thumb break so that will help if you dump the bike. I use one with my 1911 and you can't even tell I have it.
    And if you haven't dumped a bike yet just wait. It will happen. That's why they say not to buy a new bike until you dump a used one. I figured I had dumped so many dirt bikes that I canceled out that rule. I bought my first bike brand new a few years ago and so far have been right.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Don't know what kind of gear you wear while riding - but you may want to consider a chest-rig UNDER the jacket, or a tank bag with your paddle holster inside - YMMV but those are the two options for me when riding. Do Not Want a gun on my hip or side in the event of a get off. I use one of the old style tanker holsters for my 1911 if I'm day trippin' - when headed into the woods the .44 goes in the tank bag and then onto my hip once I stop to make camp.
    Last edited by tony d tiger; 09-25-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    OC on a Bike! RETENTION!!!! don't care about the brand, don't care about the method, you will care about retention very much if you dump your bike.....
    +1

I don't ride a motorcycle, so I cant really speak as to brand or method that works, but one would think retention would be priority #1.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 09-26-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: to fix a goof

As of right now till my glock comes in my hipoint =/ is in my tank bag. as for gear waiting for that im getting a 2 peice leather suit for windy trips and the track days and a textille for every day street.

Thanks for the info.

Edit as for dumping the bike. I hope not im a volunteer at portland int raceway for OMRRA and PSSR ive been doing that for 10 going on 11 years so ive seen alot of bikes go down.
    Also i have dumped many dirtbikes and quads lol
    Last edited by bwboley; 09-26-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwboley View Post
    Edit as for dumping the bike. I hope not im a volunteer at portland int raceway for OMRRA and PSSR ive been doing that for 10 going on 11 years so ive seen alot of bikes go down.
    Also i have dumped many dirtbikes and quads lol
    Then perhaps you have canceled it out as I have.

shoulder holster. helps if you have to be on the asphalt to have it off you hip area. Oh ya, nice bike. be safe and keep the rubber side down.

I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaarry View Post
    Safariland 6378. Nice holster.
    I second this. Safariland ALS, awesome holster for retention and comfort.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Quote Originally Posted by waterfowl woody View Post
    shoulder holster. helps if you have to be on the asphalt to have it off you hip area. Oh ya, nice bike. be safe and keep the rubber side down.
    I'm going to second the shoulder holster. As a sport-bike rider I find it more comfortable than anything on the hip, plus I like to keep items out in the airstream to as much of a minimum as possible. The only problem that I run into is with the leaned over position of a (super)sport is the weapon tends to hang down and slide forward instead of being off to the side. Oh and you'll want to oversize the jacket a bit else you wind up with an ominous and unattractive bulge. Lastly, I've had no problems removing the jacket and OC'ing from the shoulder holster.

Quote Originally Posted by onlurker View Post
    I'm going to second the shoulder holster. As a sport-bike rider I find it more comfortable than anything on the hip, plus I like to keep items out in the airstream to as much of a minimum as possible. The only problem that I run into is with the leaned over position of a (super)sport is the weapon tends to hang down and slide forward instead of being off to the side. Oh and you'll want to oversize the jacket a bit else you wind up with an ominous and unattractive bulge. Lastly, I've had no problems removing the jacket and OC'ing from the shoulder holster.
    Excellent - I forgot about the differences in seating. I ride older beemers (might've seen my sidecar rig at one of the Capitol events?) so am in an upright position. In fact - last time OCDO was at the capitol, I holstered the .44 in a flap holster suspended off my Sam Browne belt on the jacket... not a normal mode of carry, but I did it for the effect. Unfortunately, I showed up later than most everybody else - still ain't figured out how that happened.

Definitely need to take into consideration the seating position, the type of ride (long easy cruise or carving the canyons?) and size/weight of the pistol as well when considering what holster YOU will feel most comfortable with on a bike. Everybody will come to different conclusions - I think all are valid for the individual that makes that decision.