• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask Trooper Rob

TheQ

If there is an open carry of a firearm, remember the public’s concern. Many people may not be aware that it is legal and could cause panic. This could lead to a heightened police response to a situation that could be very dangerous.

Use common sense and obey the law when it comes to this right of carrying a pistol.

That doesn't happen very much anymore!

I wonder if he concerns himself with public fright before he steps out of the office OCing his handgun. We could become like Britain and take the guns away from cops too!

fozzy71

Concerning open carry, you will not find a law that states it is legal to openly carry a firearm. It is legal because there is no Michigan law that prohibits it.

ORLY?

If you don't have a Concealed Pistol License, how else are you supposed to carry a firearm?

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Perhaps the nice officer can cite one instance where OC-ing caused a panic. Oh wait, it causes panic among certain groups of heavily armed LEOs, but other than that, no one panics, that I'm aware.
:banghead::dude:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
He is his contact info: Contact him. It's his personal email and not his state of Michigan work email.
Trooper Rob Herbstreith, Michigan State Police, Niles Post, is a Community Service Trooper available to answer readers’ questions. Email him at TrooperRob53@yahoo.com