• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get AZ permit?

H8Rain

I am a non-resident. I just sent in my completed application and all back up information (finger print cards, NRA safety course certificate, bank check). Approximately how long does AZ take to issue their permits. Here in Connecticut it took almost 10-weeks!

I'm originally from Pennsylvania. I usually go back to PA once a month to visit family. After doing research I went with the AZ permit to cover multiple states (most importantly for me PA), plus the cost and process was very reasonable.

Thanks.

azcdlfred

I am a non-resident. I just sent in my completed application and all back up information (finger print cards, NRA safety course certificate, bank check). Approximately how long does AZ take to issue their permits.
Permit applicatoins and renewals have been on the decline since the passage of Constitutional Carry. Turnarond should be fairly fast.

I recommend calling the Department of Public Safety CCW Unit to find out.

Fred

mrjam2jab

Permit applicatoins and renewals have been on the decline since the passage of Constitutional Carry. Turnarond should be fairly fast.

I recommend calling the Department of Public Safety CCW Unit to find out.

Fred

Resident applications may be declining...but non-resident applications are on the rise. I applied in Oct 2009 and received it in 2 weeks, mailbox to mailbox here in PA. Last I heard earlier this month they are now running almost 2 months or so.

Marine 58

My wife and I mailed our applications the end of January 2012. My wife received her CCW last week. I am still waiting for mine. I emailed AZ Dept of Pubic safety a couple of days ago and they responded that my application was still undergoing "Background" checks. By law they have to finish the background within 60 days.

gunslinger493

I took the class on 4 Nov 2012, sent the paperwork and payment in on the 5th and my permit came in the mail on the 21st.
Personally, I was appalled by the shooting test, I think a blind man could pass it! But all in all a good class.

Ford

I moved here from KY, and had my KY CCW. I mailed everything in on the 30th of October, and received it the 15th. In my KY CCW class a blind man DID pass the shooting test, and thats the way I think it should be. Everyone has a right to self defense.

FreeInAZ

One of the best comedy movies of all time...

[video=youtube;_cnzuI4fsMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnzuI4fsMs&feature=fvwrel[/video]

FreeInAZ

On topic

On topic - usually takes between 2 & 8 weeks. It just depends on how busy they happen to be at the time. Mine took 6 weeks for a resident CCW. This is still better than many places. Besides it's no biggie as we can carry under Constitutional carry anyways. Only real need for CCW is if you want to travel out of state and carry.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... Besides for a resident it's no biggie as we can carry under Constitutional carry anyways. Only real need for CCW is if you want to travel out of state and carry.

I see no indication that AZ's constitutional carry is for residents only (like Wyoming). Can you verify this please?

The other benefit is that it allows you to conceal in an unposted place with a liquor license, though you still can't drink.

FreeInAZ

Good catch MAC +1

I see no indication that AZ's constitutional carry is for residents only (like Wyoming). Can you verify this please?

The other benefit is that it allows you to conceal in an unposted place with a liquor license, though you still can't drink.

Sorry MAC - was ref. wait time being no issue & meant to imply that: for me, it was no biggie because I could still carry OC/CC or both ;) without a permit. Poor choice of words.

You are correct.

To others coming to AZ please know the law. I bought a copy the Arizona Gun owners guide by Alan Korwin. It lays out the law in an easy to follow way, no legal degree needed. :p Worth it's weight in gold in my humble opinion. And for under $20 bucks you can't go wrong. http://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
You should have it by now. When did you get it?

I am a non-resident. I just sent in my completed application and all back up information (finger print cards, NRA safety course certificate, bank check). Approximately how long does AZ take to issue their permits. Here in Connecticut it took almost 10-weeks!

I'm originally from Pennsylvania. I usually go back to PA once a month to visit family. After doing research I went with the AZ permit to cover multiple states (most importantly for me PA), plus the cost and process was very reasonable.

Thanks.

So, how long did it take?

azcdlfred

Permit applications and renewals have been on the decline since the passage of Constitutional Carry. Turnarond should be fairly fast.
Correcting my statement from last year.

After a brief decline following the passage of Constitutional Carry, CCW permits have been on the rise. As of December 2, 2102 the number rose to 178,482.

The DPS bureaucracy was not prepared for a rise in permit requests, but they seem to be turning them around fairly fast. My renewal took only a few weeks.

Fred

Last edited: