Thread: Father,9mm,save son,10 from Mountain Lion attack

Father,9mm,save son,10 from Mountain Lion attack

Last edited by lil_freak_66; 09-23-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

We can expect to see more of this as the subdivisions keep expanding more and more into what used to be the animals' territory. If we are going to insist on living close to the wild or wilderness we can expect to encounter wild life, not all of which is friendly.

I am glad that the boy was not seriously hurt and had the presence of mind to stand up and draw his knife. It made him look bigger to the cougar. The father might want to consider carrying a bigger caliber or a long gun when walking around in the woods.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

9mm would have no problem taking out a cougar with proper shot placement. Cougars are no harder to kill that humans. Around here, most cougars taken when hunting with dogs are taking with a pistol, not a rifle anyway. There are usually 20-50 cougar/dog permits up here every year.

I suspect the cougar was too close to the boy, and not close enough to the dad. The dad was probably trying to scare it off, not kill it just so he would not possibly endanger his son.

Founder's Club Member
    Glad it turned out OK.

That kid is gonna have a great story to tell.

Wait til he's sixteen and some cute girl asks, "Where did you get that scar on your arm?"

Oh, my.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-24-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Centurion

It can't get better than a lion attack that I fought off with my knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Glad it turned out OK.

Wait til he's sixteen and some cute girl asks, "Where did you get that scar on your arm?"

Oh, my.
    Not only that, but the lion had alread killed his dog and was eating it!

Glad the farther was able to stop the cougar attack.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Indeed- scary situation for the Kid, Im sure.
    Still wouldnt carry or count on a 9mm for anything more than making noises though..
    Observed the after-math of an attempted car-jacking downtown this morning after dropping the wife off for work. Was passing the scene a few minutes after it took place.
    The car-jacking attempt failed- the driver popped one of the 2 (.45/1911), the other (using a Glock 9mm) had fired at the back of his truck (large Dodge Ram) as the owner had driven clear of the scene. Saw the back/tailgate of the truck.

11 dents,not a single one went through (good for the victim, fail for the shooter)... sheet metal.. That thin-ass crap they build cars and trucks with these days? And 9mm ( in whatever loading) couldnt even penetrate? You can poke holes through Automotive sheet-metal with a screw-driver by hand...
    Last edited by j4l; 10-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Glad it turned out OK.

Oh, my.
    I have a T-shirt that says "Scars are tattoos with better stories" Also have lots of scars to go with the shirt!

I'm glad he's all right!

I think it should be emphasized that if you encounter a mountain lion/cougar/puma, running is perhaps the worst thing you can do:

From the article:
    The boy ran from the predator but stumbled and fell. It was then the mountain lion took a swipe, scratching the boy's arm and hand.
    The swipe isn't typical predatory response behavior, which would have included a vicious bite, probably to the boy's neck. More like the cougar was doing an exploratory swipe to see if the boy was still a threat.

[quote]The child then yelled to his father and stood up, pulling out a hunting knife, which made the predator back down."

The knife did not make the predator back down. Standing up makes humans appear much larger than the cat, causing a normally cautious cat to back off. Yelling can frighten them, also causing them to back off. However, yelling can also accelerate their aggression, causing them to lash out, so yelling may or may not be a good idea. Neither, for that matter, is playing dead.

The best response is standing up, looking large, maintaining eye contact with the cat while slowly backing away. Throwing rocks and sticks helps, but I wouldn't bend over to pick them up, as it reduces your apparent size.

Of course, shooting it works exceptionally well....
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

What a terrible experience that must have been for the boy and his father.

Fortunately, they were both armed. Had they not been, this story may have ended tragically.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired