• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC in my place of business

LimoDan57

I havent been able to find credible information on the laws pertaining to either CC/OC in my place of business in Illinois. Of course, I have an FOID card. Also have the Fl CC license, which is completely useless here.
Any help?

junglebob

To view Illinois firearms laws go to the Illinois State Police website www.isp.state.il.us Go to FOID/firearm information click on Unlawful use of weapons 720 ILCS 5/24 go down to Section 24-1.6 and read "except when on his own land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business" If your community has some local firearms ordinances they might have restrictions on carry in your business. I don't know if any do. You could call your city clerk, if you live in a city, or the city attorney could tell you. Also the ISP website has a list of cities that have ordinances listed there. I believe there are some in the Chicago area that don't have theirs posted, though they are required to.

To out of state folks, you may open carry or conceal carry on a person's property in Illinois with their permission. Local ordinances would apply however.

lockman

State Researcher
I havent been able to find credible information on the laws pertaining to either CC/OC in my place of business in Illinois. Of course, I have an FOID card. Also have the Fl CC license, which is completely useless here.
Any help?

Also read 720 ILCS 5/24-1a(8): Carries or possesses any firearm, stun gun or taser or other deadly weapon in any place which is licensed to sell intoxicating beverages, or at any public gathering held pursuant to a license issued by any governmental body or any public gathering at which an admission is charged, excluding a place where a showing, demonstration or lecture involving the exhibition of unloaded firearms is conducted.

So if your business is licensed to serve alcohol then carry on the person is prohibited.

junglebob

Also read 720 ILCS 5/24-1a(8): Carries or possesses any firearm, stun gun or taser or other deadly weapon in any place which is licensed to sell intoxicating beverages, or at any public gathering held pursuant to a license issued by any governmental body or any public gathering at which an admission is charged, excluding a place where a showing, demonstration or lecture involving the exhibition of unloaded firearms is conducted.

So if your business is licensed to serve alcohol then carry on the person is prohibited.

I didn't think of that kind of business, but you are right a business that serves alcohol wouldn't be a place you could carry.