• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

iwb as oc?

manveru

Hi i'm planning on getting my chp in the near future and was wondering if it's legal to open carry with an iwb holster as long as the gun is visible. it seems a bit questionable to me but i'd like to get used to it so i'd figure i'd ask.

JamesB

Hi i'm planning on getting my chp in the near future and was wondering if it's legal to open carry with an iwb holster as long as the gun is visible. it seems a bit questionable to me but i'd like to get used to it so i'd figure i'd ask.

If you have a permit, you should have no problems. Without one I think I would wear the IWB on the outside. Either way...in Wiggins I would not expect any problem at all regardless.

Keens

You are good to go, as long as your sidearm is still visible! Two of the gentlemen today at the meetup in Aurora OC'ed with an IWB holster, though both have permits (don't need a permit to OC with a IWB, FYI, just as long as it's visible! A holster is a holster, there's many kinds of different ones to choose from! I carried my Smith .40 in an OWB Galco all day today! Here's my 2 cents: I personally believe IWB draws less unwanted attention than a OWB. I prefer the latter, it's more comfortable, it doesn't poke my junk or my leg, it's easier to draw! Use what works best for yourself! I returned 2 holsters before I found the one I now have.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I have several holsters (along with several handguns) and can carry concealed as I have a permit to do so.
Meanwhile, back at the firearm, I usually OC by preference.

Your sidearm must be visible if you do not have a permit. You may not conceal the weapon if you haven't a concealed carry permit.
But you can carry openly in an OWB holster, or a IWB holster, just so long as the pistol is clearly visible. I have several holsters that were custom made for me and for my specific handguns in particular. I have holsters that are totally concealable, and you'd never know I was carrying a handgun without I told you or you bumped up against it. Still, I prefer open carry. Considering the neighborhood where I live, I want to send a message to some of the local miscreants that I won't tolerate being tomfooled with.

Good luck on your efforts to get a CHP. It is mostly about waiting once you've jumped through the required hoops, and paid the money. 90 days to get that permit to you can seem like an eternity.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

According to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, as long as enough of the gun is visible to be able to tell it's a gun, you're not CC. Prior to getting her permit, my wife used to carry a .38 in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster, clipped inside her right front pocket, so just the grip and the rear of the frame were visible above the lip of the holster. She showed this carry method at the downtown EPSO while applying for her permit and it was Ok'd.

Last edited:

jskp229

For the record, I was one of the two at the meet & greet that uses an IWB. My reasoning for using an IWB is that even though I OC most of the time, there are times I need to CC. I have trained with this holster & I feel the consistency of using what I train with is more valuable. If the time comes that the stress is up & I need to respond, I don't want to have to think what holster am I wearing today. That & I have found this is the overall most comfortable for me and covers a wide range of modes of dress from very casual to full suit & tie (when I can't escape them).

I have done the retention test with this IWB to see how difficult it is to grab with the cant (angle) I have on it. I found that anything except a straight draw following the cant significantly increases the effort & difficulty and also increases my time to respond.

With regards to the legal aspect (for what my opinion on that is worth), +1 to all above that commented on the visibility & that you can tell it's a firearm.

And that is my $0.02...

JSK

since9

Campaign Veteran
For the record, I was one of the two at the meet & greet that uses an IWB. My reasoning for using an IWB is that even though I OC most of the time, there are times I need to CC. I have trained with this holster & I feel the consistency of using what I train with is more valuable. If the time comes that the stress is up & I need to respond, I don't want to have to think what holster am I wearing today. That & I have found this is the overall most comfortable for me and covers a wide range of modes of dress from very casual to full suit & tie (when I can't escape them).

You make some great points, here, jskp229! It's the same reason military aviators often say "don't do anything dumb, stupid, or different." There are times and venues where being unpredictable is to one's advantage. Where one keeps his firearm and how one draws it should not be one of them.

Having said that, I normally use my usual OC rig and practice drawing often, but I have several CC rigs.

I know, I know...

It's just that I've used different CC rigs over the years, and have practiced as much with each of them as I have with my OC rig. Belly bag, underarm (shoulder), small of the back, and various exterior bags. Haven't tried ankle, below the hat, or wrist rig, yet... For CC I prefer hip or shoulder, as there's no bag out there for people to think, "what's in the bag?" Hunting deer and pizza I used to use a cross-chest carry rig, but that's another story.

Speaking of which, I hear Clara's famous line is returning to fill the void left by the King...

I like the idea of an IWB rig for both OC and CC depending on one's tucked/untucked shirt or jacket. I'm having a difficult time finding finding any appreciable variety of holsters for my firearm, though. (GGRRR) I'd think one of the more popular firearms in the world (CZ) would be brimming with holster support, but they're not. It's scarce and often shoddy or generic.

I have done the retention test with this IWB to see how difficult it is to grab with the cant (angle) I have on it. I found that anything except a straight draw following the cant significantly increases the effort & difficulty and also increases my time to respond.

Do you have a retention holster? Is your holster itself belted in?

jskp229

Since9,

I'm currently using a Crossbreed ST with a Looper reinforced belt for my Sig. I have tried many others, with the Comptac Minotaur being the closest competitor that worked, but the ST was a little more comfortable. The Crossbreed has no active retention, but with the cant tweaking for fit, pulling it out of the holster from the back puts a significant drag on the firearm from the angle makes it very difficult. Is it impossible to take, no - but it will need to be pulled forward like a normal draw to get it out. Is it equal to level 2/3 retention, no. Is it a good / smart decision - TBD. I hope I don't find out the hard way. I'm counting on the cant, belt pressure, placement & awareness to minimize the risk. I have been interested in learning more about retention techniques, but have not yet had the opportunity or funding to pursue it.

With respect to getting something to fit an odd / less common firearm, give me a ping (you have my phone # if you want to talk about it). I'll connect you with someone with a business in Highlands Ranch that produces custom Kydex & Kydex/leather holsters tuned to your gun & body at reasonable prices. He can fit almost anything because you bring it to him & he creates it to your specific gun. I already connected M-T with him with good results. And... in case you are wondering, I already bought my Crossbreed ST before I met him, but will be looking at his work if I'm going to get anything new.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I just don't like IWB holsters, but that's me. As noted, it is OC if the butt of the gun is visible in CO, and the chances of being hassled in El Paso County are about nil. I like the Blade-Tech high riders that really stick to you and am hoping to get one for my Hi-Powers. Best compromise between conventional and IWBs, imo.

since9

Campaign Veteran
With respect to getting something to fit an odd / less common firearm, give me a ping (you have my phone # if you want to talk about it). I'll connect you with someone with a business in Highlands Ranch that produces custom Kydex & Kydex/leather holsters tuned to your gun & body at reasonable prices. He can fit almost anything because you bring it to him & he creates it to your specific gun. I already connected M-T with him with good results. And... in case you are wondering, I already bought my Crossbreed ST before I met him, but will be looking at his work if I'm going to get anything new.

Thanks for the info! Might be the same gent who attended our OC meet at the Crackerbarrel near Chapel Hills Mall a year and a half ago.

I'll get back with you.