• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oops... Mistake during grizzly bear attack

since9

Campaign Veteran
Unfortunately, someone attempted the right thing, but wound up with the wrong consequences. Article.

"BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — A hunter attacked by a wounded grizzly in a Montana forest was killed not by the bear, but by a gunshot fired by a companion trying to save him, authorities said Friday."

Sad.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sad but preventable. First, they shot the wrong kind of bear. I am pretty sure a grizzly looks different than a black bear. Second and more important, you shouldn't shoot unless you are sure of your target.

Some anti will find some way to exploit this.

mobeewan

I know where this thread is going to wind up going. But I ask just one favor from everyone. If you come across me being mauled by a bear, I don't care what kind of bear it is, just please shoot the fu&%#@$ bear.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The reason I raised this point is that if you're carrying amongst people, this can happen to you.

Yes, if you're a human being, it can most certainly happen to you. I don't care how long you've been dong this or how smart you think you may be. I'm nearing fifty and have been doing this more than 20 years, yet I NEVER allow complacency to override normal, routine, standard OC/CC precautions.

Of course the flipside to always being ready is to make dang sure you don't shoot one of your own!

carry for myself

should have fired a warning shot first. usually a loud noise will startle a bear. OR make you a bigger threat and it will charge you *thus removing the bear from your friend and giving you a clear shot*........in order to be attacked by a bear you have to mess up somewhere.

running.......bad
sneaking around in the woods quietly....bad
smelling yummy.....bad

most of the time only injured bears or bears protecting their young will attack. usually they will just run away.

these guys messed up by getting attacked first. and his buddy messed up by shooting him. good thought...bad follow through lol