• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First leo encounter while oc

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Well it happened. I had my first LEO encounter. I will first start off with that I like to go to the movies a lot. When I first wanted to start OC, I looked all over for firearms policies of the places I most frequent. Even checked for signs posted at these places before I started. The movie Theatre I go to is Regal Marysville 14. I looked a couple times for signs at this theatre. I could not find anything. This was the first place I OCed more then a couple minutes. I have gone there 3 or 4 times now while OCing. Heck the first time I did OC there I walked past two LEO's who both saw my firearm,and they said nothing and watched me walk right into the theatre. So anyways he is what happened tonight.

The movie was Killer Elite. It was scheduled to start at 10:05 pm. I got there at 9:40 pm. I walked in and got in line. I had my Military ID and credit card ready. Some guy in line asked what kind of ID it was because He's never seen anything like it before. I told him it was a Military ID. He said oh ok and that was that. I purchased my ticket and moved on to the concessions stand. I got my popcorn and Soda. I walked up and gave my ticket to the manager who was at the Ushers stand. She tore the stub and directed me to the theatre. I went in side the the theatre and went all the way to the top back middle seats. So I'm sitting there eating popcorn and watching the previews. It was probably on the second to last preview when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see a woman leaning over to me.

LEO: "excuse me sir"
ME: "yeah"
LEO: "I'm going to have to ask you to take your firearm out to your vehicle."
ME: "Really? Why?
LEO: "Yes really. There are no firearms aloud in this building"
ME: "I'm sorry. I did not see a sign or anything. Ok hold on"

As I'm putting on my hoody the LEO is standing at the end of the isle waiting for me. I walked right past her and when I got to the bottom of the stairs, the manager and one other employee were there at the door holding it open for me. I walked out as the LEO and manager followed me through the lobby and outside. Normally I would have left, but I already paid for everything and I really wanted to see this movie so I locked the firearm in my car and walked right back into the theatre. It was a pretty good movie. When the movie ended and I was leaving, I decided to look for a sign again. I looked all over the place. Finally I find it. It's on a 8 1/2x11 white piece of paper posted outside way out to the left of the doors. Sure enough it said no firearms open or concealed aloud on premises.

Now I had no problem doing what was asked of me and following policy. What makes me mad though is that 1. There should be a lot bigger of a sign in a more visible spot. 2. Why the hell couldn't one of the employees or the manager say anything to me when I first walked in there before I payed for anything? I would have gladly said ok and left with no arguments. The fact that the manager had a LEO come tell me when I was already seated and the movie was about to start made me so mad. I do got to say that in this case though The LEO did nothing wrong and I have no anger or feelings toward her at all. I will not be going back there for a while if ever. Sorry this is so long.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It is to bad the theater imposed the no guns policy but you did a great job and hopefully with good encounters as this they will have a change in policy.
Do you plan on following up later with management on the issue visiting their establishment while being legally armed? By your earlier actions you have demonstrated you are a calm and respectful person that should work in your favor.

tombrewster421

From the "white piece of paper" I'd say that they probably made the sign after you came in. Was it also hand written? Every legitimate sign I've seen is either a hard plaque or a sticker adhered to the window. Never seen a piece of printer paper. I'm not sure if regal corporate has a policy though. I've seen a no guns sign on the door at the one in downtown Seattle, but I've open carried at the Lakewood location and Puyallup where there are no signs.

amlevin

I must be getting Cheap

For $10.50 per ticket I'd rather rent a DVD, watch it at home. For that kind of money I could even upgrade to a massive home theater setup and afford the payments from the $15/movie I'd save.

Open Carry? No problem!

No Cell Phones

No "Yakking"

No spilled pop on the floor or seat

and best of all---

If I want to make out with my wife I can hit the pause button;);):)

This event does point out the advantage of OC'ing in a conservative manner. A non-flashy firearm in a holster that blends in with the attire can in many cases be just about invisible to most. If they didn't notice it, you wouldn't have been asked to take it outside. Just a thought.

PS: Beverage choices are unlimited and snacks like popcorn don't cost 3-4 times the price of a gallon of gas.

Last edited:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
BigDave
It is to bad the theater imposed the no guns policy but you did a great job and hopefully with good encounters as this they will have a change in policy.
Do you plan on following up later with management on the issue visiting their establishment while being legally armed? By your earlier actions you have demonstrated you are a calm and respectful person that should work in your favor.

Yes I plan on following up with them.

tombrewster421
From the "white piece of paper" I'd say that they probably made the sign after you came in. Was it also hand written? Every legitimate sign I've seen is either a hard plaque or a sticker adhered to the window. Never seen a piece of printer paper. I'm not sure if regal corporate has a policy though. I've seen a no guns sign on the door at the one in downtown Seattle, but I've open carried at the Lakewood location and Puyallup where there are no signs.

It was not hand written. It was typed about 10 point font. It also had the rules about rated R movies and stuff. I checked corporate with a fine tooth comb. Did not find a thing. I think it's by location.

amlevin
I must be getting Cheap

For $10.50 per ticket I'd rather rent a DVD, watch it at home. For that kind of money I could even upgrade to a massive home theater setup and afford the payments from the $15/movie I'd save.

Open Carry? No problem!

No Cell Phones

No "Yakking"

No spilled pop on the floor or seat

and best of all---

If I want to make out with my wife I can hit the pause button

PS: Beverage choices are unlimited and snacks like popcorn don't cost 3-4 times the price of a gallon of gas.
This event does point out the advantage of OC'ing in a conservative manner. A non-flashy firearm in a holster that blends in with the attire can in many cases be just about invisible to most. If they didn't notice it, you wouldn't have been asked to take it outside. Just a thought

The ticket for me is only 8.50. I get a discount for being military. I actually have a Home Theatre system. Got a HD Projector that covers one whole wall of my living room and there is a high quality surround sound system hooked to it with the speakers strategically placed around the room. I go to the movies because it's something to do to get out of the house. My significant other is deployed right now and I get bored staying at home all the time. Besides there is just some movies that have to be seen in theatres. If you watch them for the first time on video they just aren't as good. Oh and I was dressed Conservatively. I was wearing a black t-shirt, black hoody, dark blue jeans, and my firearm is black with a black holster. Nothing flashy at all.

Last edited:

TeamHi-Point

You were watching a movie and they played the soundtrack "aloud" then the police told you that weapons are not "ALLOWED" at the movie complex ;) :monkey

I'm glad it went well and you got to see the rest of the movie. This poor signage is an issue at many businesses in particular movie houses and malls! I think they don't want to scare people by posting the signs where they stand-out. This is stupid but that's what you have to deal with when bean counters get to make the rules. At the malls here in MI it is common for them (owners) to have a 5"x7" transparent sticker placed on only one glass door near the security office? Who do they think is going to see that? Yup you got it, no one. It's only there so they can tell LEO's after they call on an unsuspecting OCer "It's posted, NO WEAPONS"!

Be careful fellow patriots for stupidity knows no bounds. I have yet to find a criminal that will tell me "oh I guess I better leave my GAT in duh whip cuz they be a sign axing meez too! Dahhhhm! :banghead:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
This could have read:
As I'm putting on my hoody the LEO is standing at the end of the isle waiting for me. I walked right past her and when I got to the bottom of the stairs, the manager and one other employee were there at the door holding it open for me. I walked out as the LEO and manager followed me through the lobby and outside. Normally I would have left, but I already paid for everything and I really wanted to see this movie so I locked the firearm in my car and walked right back into the theatre. It was a great movie.

As a left into the dark parking lot during those night hours my wife and I were held at gun point while we were robbed and raped.

I would have demanded my money back (or at least tried). BUT, to each his own. Glad you enjoyed the movie at least!

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Schlitz
This could have read:
As I'm putting on my hoody the LEO is standing at the end of the isle waiting for me. I walked right past her and when I got to the bottom of the stairs, the manager and one other employee were there at the door holding it open for me. I walked out as the LEO and manager followed me through the lobby and outside. Normally I would have left, but I already paid for everything and I really wanted to see this movie so I locked the firearm in my car and walked right back into the theatre. It was a great movie.

As a left into the dark parking lot during those night hours my wife and I were held at gun point while we were robbed and raped.
I would have demanded my money back (or at least tried). BUT, to each his own. Glad you enjoyed the movie at least!

Like I said, normally I would have got my money back and left, but I really wanted to see this movie. That is the only reason I went back in. Also on Friday nights they always have LEO's hanging out at the entrance so I figured my car was safe from being broke into.

TechnoWeenie

I OC 98% of the time.

There are times for CC...

:D

Hell, I can wear a serpa, 2 spare mags, and just pull a shirt over it (while wearing 5.11 tac pants) and never get asked anything, even when it's beyond clear that I'm printing like a SOB and only a simpleton wouldn't know what was under the shirt.

amzbrady

Like I said, normally I would have got my money back and left, but I really wanted to see this movie. That is the only reason I went back in. Also on Friday nights they always have LEO's hanging out at the entrance so I figured my car was safe from being broke into.

Yeah, the police are huge deterents to crime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fK11tUYIdI

Wolfebane

This is somewhat on topic, sorta, since it's about movie theaters.

I'm in Bellingham and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the local theaters policy towards firearms. I know the one in the mall is a no-go (at least OC) since concealed only is allowed in the main mall sections and you have to pass through there to get into the theater.

The one I'm most interested in is Regal Sehome 3 on Fielding Ave. I've been there and haven't notice any signage. If anyone knows anything different let me know.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Wolfebane

I'm in Bellingham and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the local theaters policy towards firearms. I know the one in the mall is a no-go (at least OC) since concealed only is allowed in the main mall sections and you have to pass through there to get into the theater.

The one I'm most interested in is Regal Sehome 3 on Fielding Ave. I've been there and haven't notice any signage. If anyone knows anything different let me know.

I would go double check for signs. Look for a regular size piece of paper that's white and typed on. You have to really look for it. At least that's the way it was at the one I talked about.

Badger Johnson

Sorry that happened to you. Are you sure it was a LE officer or just a security guard. We have non-LEO guards who open carry in theaters around here sometimes. They can't arrest. If asked to leave you must or be guilty of trespassing.

Here you could have asked for a refund of your ticket(s). You also could have concealed (well) and returned to the theater. I'm glad your HG wasn't stolen while you were in there. I doubt a cop in the lobby would have noticed a break in to a car - it's easy to do it and hard to see what's going on from 15 feet away.

I hope you'll frequent other theaters which have no such corporate policy and will research the laws in your area.

How did the manager notice you were OC-ing? I've done it accidentally, but a black shirt underneath and K-T in a black holster went unnoticed during an evening showing.

sudden valley gunner

I've been to all the theaters in town no problem whatsoever, and I wear shorts often so not hard to miss the firearm. Even to Mt. Baker theater for a play.

I don't go actively looking for signs, if someone
asks me to leave I leave and take it up later with someone higher up.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I've been to all the theaters in town no problem whatsoever, and I wear shorts often so not hard to miss the firearm. Even to Mt. Baker theater for a play.

I don't go actively looking for signs, if someone
asks me to leave I leave and take it up later with someone higher up.

This is a great point SVG. I do not go actively looking for signs either. Why would I? Should I look for a sign seeing if it's illegal to wear sandals in their establishment? No, because it's legal to wear sandals.

Signs have no weight of law concerning firearms in our state. (Unless in a bar)

Therefore, I will go about my business until asked to do something different and then address the issue with a higher level. Since I live in a more densely populated city I know that Theaters, Costco and the Mall are private businesses that have mixed reviews as to how they respond to OC I will either CC or very loosely OC/CC. If I want to be left alone, I CC. But generally when I am done conducting my business I take off my jacket on my way to the register or on my way out of the movie/business. I have done this at movies with my daughters. I go in with a light jacket on and take it off while watching the movie. If I need to get popcorn or use the restroom during the movie then I stay OC. No issues as of yet.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Badger Johnson
Sorry that happened to you. Are you sure it was a LE officer or just a security guard. We have non-LEO guards who open carry in theaters around here sometimes. They can't arrest. If asked to leave you must or be guilty of trespassing.

Here you could have asked for a refund of your ticket(s). You also could have concealed (well) and returned to the theater. I'm glad your HG wasn't stolen while you were in there. I doubt a cop in the lobby would have noticed a break in to a car - it's easy to do it and hard to see what's going on from 15 feet away.

I hope you'll frequent other theaters which have no such corporate policy and will research the laws in your area.

How did the manager notice you were OC-ing? I've done it accidentally, but a black shirt underneath and K-T in a black holster went unnoticed during an evening showing.

Yes I'm sure it was a actual LEO. That badge on her uniform was right in my face. It said Marysville police department on it. Like I said before. Normally I would have asked for a refund but I really wanted to see the movie. Won't be going there again though until I contact higher management. She noticed because 1. Either someone else noticed and told her and that's why she personally tore my ticket stub. 2. When I went to the theatre I had to go left so my strong side turned right to her. I am right handed.

I understand your all your reasons for not checking for signs, but I feel that If I know what places have them, I can avoid them so that I will have less frequent encounters with people asking me to leave and them calling LEO's. That and If they have a sign, I don't want to give them business.

amzbrady

Yes I'm sure it was a actual LEO. That badge on her uniform was right in my face. It said Marysville police department on it. Like I said before. Normally I would have asked for a refund but I really wanted to see the movie. Won't be going there again though until I contact higher management. She noticed because 1. Either someone else noticed and told her and that's why she personally tore my ticket stub. 2. When I went to the theatre I had to go left so my strong side turned right to her. I am right handed.

I understand your all your reasons for not checking for signs, but I feel that If I know what places have them, I can avoid them so that I will have less frequent encounters with people asking me to leave and them calling LEO's. That and If they have a sign, I don't want to give them business.

Was she working for the theatre? Was she acting of her own accord, how do you know the manager actually wanted you to leave?

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my
mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Oh but say
now, "Mister, can't you read?
You got to have a shirt and tie to get a
seat
If you have a gun
You can't watch, no you can't eat
You ain't supposed to be
here"

And the sign says, "You gotta have a membership card
To get
inside"...

If theres not an obvious sign oh well...

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Was she working for the theatre? Was she acting of her own accord, how do you know the manager actually wanted you to leave?

Because the manager Was at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me to come out and was following me alongside the LEO threw the lobby. The LEO was not there when I first came into the building.