Thread: hunter "accidentally" kills partner during bear attack.

hunter accidentally kills partner during bear attack.

http://news.yahoo.com/hunting-partne...024642266.html

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - An autopsy shows that a Nevada man believed to have been fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Montana was instead shot and killed by his hunting partner, authorities said Friday.
    Steve Stevenson, 39, of Winnemucca, Nevada, was mauled on September 16 by a grizzly bear that had just been shot and wounded by Stevenson's friend, Ty Bell, 20, also of Winnemucca. Bell opened fire on the bear again when it turned on his buddy.
    "In attempt to stop the grizzly bear's attack on Stevenson, hunting partner Ty Bell shot the bear multiple times. One of those rounds struck Stevenson in the chest," Lincoln County, Montana, Undersheriff Brent Faulkner said in a statement.

personally, i think the hunting partner should see criminal charges for his actions. if your hunting black bear, and you shoot a grizzly instead...and kill your friend in the process...i see alot of criminal negligence. Now i can see where you accidentally hit your friend because you hit the bear and the round goes through the bear and into your buddy under him..it most likely would have been entirely avoidable had he shot an animal he was licensed to kill, rather than a juvenile non game animal he was stalking using a non traditional tactic.
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 09-24-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

I would need more info before I can make a real decision. If his friend really was being mauled and all he had was the gun to try and stop the bear I don't blame him for using it to try and save his friend; even if it led to his death. Also I personally wouldn't blame him if his friend had been mortally wounded and asked to be helped along rather than slowly suffering to death (though I know that this would still be illegal; I personally just don't have an issue with certain mercy "killings").

[QUOTE=lil_freak_66;...rather than a juvenile non game animal he was stalking using a non traditional tactic.[/QUOTE]

What was the non-traditional tactic?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

well around here at least, people only go out with dogs, or hunt from a blind or stand.i dont think ive ever met anyone that just stalks them

I read somewhere that it was a young Grizzly and from what they said, those can look a lot like a black bear?

to anybody that isnt really outdoorsy, they might...but to somebody that is licensed to hunt them, should know the difference...grizzlys have a bigger coat and seem to have a hump in they're shoulders when they move at a decent pace,things that a licensed bear hunter should know

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    to anybody that isnt really outdoorsy, they might...but to somebody that is licensed to hunt them, should know the difference...grizzlys have a bigger coat and seem to have a hump in they're shoulders when they move at a decent pace,things that a licensed bear hunter should know
    None of that makes it "reality" for this instance.

It is rational to stipulate that the initial hunt was valid, and the grizzly was shot in error. Whether the hunter was inexperienced, not hunting "traditionally," or in any other manner is irrelevant. As long as his actions were within the law up to the point of mistaken identity, it doesn't matter. If he were breaking the law by hunting without a license or actually in violation of hunting regulations, then you might have a point.

As to the cause of death? It is reasonable to assume that the shooter was actually attempting to save his partner, and that movement by the bear moved his partner into the path of the bullet, with disastrous results. I doubt that the man and bear were standing still trading blows at the time........
    Last edited by wrightme; 09-24-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

im not trying to dispute his actions in the attempt to save his life, im saying he was criminally negligible in pursuing a more aggressive non game animal

im not trying to dispute his actions in the attempt to save his life, im saying he was criminally negligible in pursuing a more aggressive non game animal
    What?

DO you mean "criminally negligent?" For getting a license to hunt a predator? Are you attempting to claim his partner was unaware of this? Your comment simply does not make sense.

Now, if he got his partner to dress up as a bleeding cow by draping steaks over him and then used him as bait, yes. But, not in this reality.

What part of it do you feel was negligence?

Oh, I do see that you edited out the part of your op where you basically claimed "center mass hit wasn't an accident."
    Last edited by wrightme; 09-24-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

the attempted act of poaching an animal which led to the death of a person.

it'd be alot like if you broke into somebodies house, and your partner got shot by a homeowner...your responsible for what happened to the other person in part because you were in commission of a crime

im not saying he should be charged with negligent homicide, there are a few lesser criminal negligence charges that'd fit better

the attempted act of poaching an animal which led to the death of a person.
    What "attempted act of poaching" are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66
    it'd be alot like if you broke into somebodies house, and your partner got shot by a homeowner...your responsible for what happened to the other person in part because you were in commission of a crime
    im not saying he should be charged with negligent homicide, there are a few lesser criminal negligence charges that'd fit better
    No, it is not like that at all; unless someone can prove the intent was to take a grizzly. You assume a crime where none has been even alleged.

man tries to stop a bear from attacking his friend. Unfortunately and ACCIDENTALLY he shoots his friend in the process...

personally, i think the hunting partner should see criminal charges for his actions. if
    You're one tough cookie...
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Dude I doubt you have ever seen a live Grizzly, maybe some pics on the internet? Anyways there may be more to this story then the public will ever know. Just like the CADL case here in MI.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    man tries to stop a bear from attacking his friend. Unfortunately and ACCIDENTALLY he shoots his friend in the process...

You're one tough cookie...
    No, he's just a know it all, who is too inexperienced to know that he doesn't know squat yet!

This is the result of his actions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6mghkhaGk
    good guys getting hassled trying to defend his questionable SHOTGUN OC in a library.
    Last edited by TeamHi-Point; 09-24-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHi-Point View Post
    No, he's just a know it all, who is too inexperienced to know that he doesn't know squat yet!

This is the result of his actions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6mghkhaGk
    good guys getting hassled trying to defend his questionable SHOTGUN OC in a library.
    Beerme, arent you supposed to be banned?

Beerme, arent you supposed to be banned?
    Nice - smoke and mirrors, when you should just be honest and admit that you are the last person who should be judging others. I don't know you but your actions speak volumes you "whipper snapper" you.

This is a serious fail...
    When running from a Grizzly, your suppose to shoot your friend in the knee, not in the chest.

lil_freak, you are aware that black bear come in "cinnamon phase" and that at certain ages, they are very similar in appearance to grizzly?

IMHO, there was no negligence demonstrated according to the report.

The Wildlife Agent used the description "accident" when speaking to media personnel, so in their eyes, it was an accident, not in any way, shape or fashion homicide or manslaughter.

As for Stevenson, at 39 years old, I would guess that he was an experienced hunter and was well aware of the possibility for an accident from a younger hunter.

And, I don't see where the ME commented as to whether the round that killed Stevenson passed through the bear first. An important fact IMHO.

I also don't see where anyone mentioned an estimate for how much time the incident took. Another detail that could change the facts.

As for administering 'grace', I am with you, Aknazer. I have been bit by too many animals to want to be eaten by a grizzly with those huge teeth. And, I watched that show about the Alaskan bear dumba ... ah, dude ... at the end, listening to the screams as they were being eaten alive was just horrific.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

I don't see how there could be any criminal charges coming from this, but, IANAL.

Seems more like a case of bad shot placement in what must have been a very intense, adrenaline-fueled situation.