• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hunter "accidentally" kills partner during bear attack.

lil_freak_66

hunter accidentally kills partner during bear attack.

http://news.yahoo.com/hunting-partner-killed-nevada-man-during-grizzly-attack-024642266.html

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - An autopsy shows that a Nevada man believed to have been fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Montana was instead shot and killed by his hunting partner, authorities said Friday.
Steve Stevenson, 39, of Winnemucca, Nevada, was mauled on September 16 by a grizzly bear that had just been shot and wounded by Stevenson's friend, Ty Bell, 20, also of Winnemucca. Bell opened fire on the bear again when it turned on his buddy.
"In attempt to stop the grizzly bear's attack on Stevenson, hunting partner Ty Bell shot the bear multiple times. One of those rounds struck Stevenson in the chest," Lincoln County, Montana, Undersheriff Brent Faulkner said in a statement.

personally, i think the hunting partner should see criminal charges for his actions. if your hunting black bear, and you shoot a grizzly instead...and kill your friend in the process...i see alot of criminal negligence. Now i can see where you accidentally hit your friend because you hit the bear and the round goes through the bear and into your buddy under him..it most likely would have been entirely avoidable had he shot an animal he was licensed to kill, rather than a juvenile non game animal he was stalking using a non traditional tactic.

Last edited:

Aknazer

I would need more info before I can make a real decision. If his friend really was being mauled and all he had was the gun to try and stop the bear I don't blame him for using it to try and save his friend; even if it led to his death. Also I personally wouldn't blame him if his friend had been mortally wounded and asked to be helped along rather than slowly suffering to death (though I know that this would still be illegal; I personally just don't have an issue with certain mercy "killings").

lil_freak_66

well around here at least, people only go out with dogs, or hunt from a blind or stand.i dont think ive ever met anyone that just stalks them

lil_freak_66

to anybody that isnt really outdoorsy, they might...but to somebody that is licensed to hunt them, should know the difference...grizzlys have a bigger coat and seem to have a hump in they're shoulders when they move at a decent pace,things that a licensed bear hunter should know

wrightme

to anybody that isnt really outdoorsy, they might...but to somebody that is licensed to hunt them, should know the difference...grizzlys have a bigger coat and seem to have a hump in they're shoulders when they move at a decent pace,things that a licensed bear hunter should know

None of that makes it "reality" for this instance.

It is rational to stipulate that the initial hunt was valid, and the grizzly was shot in error. Whether the hunter was inexperienced, not hunting "traditionally," or in any other manner is irrelevant. As long as his actions were within the law up to the point of mistaken identity, it doesn't matter. If he were breaking the law by hunting without a license or actually in violation of hunting regulations, then you might have a point.

As to the cause of death? It is reasonable to assume that the shooter was actually attempting to save his partner, and that movement by the bear moved his partner into the path of the bullet, with disastrous results. I doubt that the man and bear were standing still trading blows at the time........

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

im not trying to dispute his actions in the attempt to save his life, im saying he was criminally negligible in pursuing a more aggressive non game animal

wrightme

im not trying to dispute his actions in the attempt to save his life, im saying he was criminally negligible in pursuing a more aggressive non game animal

What? :confused:

DO you mean "criminally negligent?" For getting a license to hunt a predator? Are you attempting to claim his partner was unaware of this? Your comment simply does not make sense.

Now, if he got his partner to dress up as a bleeding cow by draping steaks over him and then used him as bait, yes. But, not in this reality.

What part of it do you feel was negligence?

Oh, I do see that you edited out the part of your op where you basically claimed "center mass hit wasn't an accident."

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

the attempted act of poaching an animal which led to the death of a person.

it'd be alot like if you broke into somebodies house, and your partner got shot by a homeowner...your responsible for what happened to the other person in part because you were in commission of a crime

im not saying he should be charged with negligent homicide, there are a few lesser criminal negligence charges that'd fit better

wrightme

the attempted act of poaching an animal which led to the death of a person.
What "attempted act of poaching" are you referring to?

lil_freak_66 said:
it'd be alot like if you broke into somebodies house, and your partner got shot by a homeowner...your responsible for what happened to the other person in part because you were in commission of a crime
im not saying he should be charged with negligent homicide, there are a few lesser criminal negligence charges that'd fit better

No, it is not like that at all; unless someone can prove the intent was to take a grizzly. You assume a crime where none has been even alleged.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
man tries to stop a bear from attacking his friend. Unfortunately and ACCIDENTALLY he shoots his friend in the process...

personally, i think the hunting partner should see criminal charges for his actions. if

You're one tough cookie... :(

TeamHi-Point

Dude I doubt you have ever seen a live Grizzly, maybe some pics on the internet? Anyways there may be more to this story then the public will ever know. Just like the CADL case here in MI. :cuss:

TeamHi-Point

man tries to stop a bear from attacking his friend. Unfortunately and ACCIDENTALLY he shoots his friend in the process...

You're one tough cookie... :(

No, he's just a know it all, who is too inexperienced to know that he doesn't know squat yet!:mad:

This is the result of his actions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6mghkhaGk
good guys getting hassled trying to defend his questionable SHOTGUN OC in a library.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

This is a serious fail...
When running from a Grizzly, your suppose to shoot your friend in the knee, not in the chest.

okboomer

lil_freak, you are aware that black bear come in "cinnamon phase" and that at certain ages, they are very similar in appearance to grizzly?

IMHO, there was no negligence demonstrated according to the report.

The Wildlife Agent used the description "accident" when speaking to media personnel, so in their eyes, it was an accident, not in any way, shape or fashion homicide or manslaughter.

As for Stevenson, at 39 years old, I would guess that he was an experienced hunter and was well aware of the possibility for an accident from a younger hunter.

And, I don't see where the ME commented as to whether the round that killed Stevenson passed through the bear first. An important fact IMHO.

I also don't see where anyone mentioned an estimate for how much time the incident took. Another detail that could change the facts.

As for administering 'grace', I am with you, Aknazer. I have been bit by too many animals to want to be eaten by a grizzly with those huge teeth. And, I watched that show about the Alaskan bear dumba ... ah, dude ... at the end, listening to the screams as they were being eaten alive was just horrific.

r.j.s

I don't see how there could be any criminal charges coming from this, but, IANAL.

Seems more like a case of bad shot placement in what must have been a very intense, adrenaline-fueled situation.