Thread: Oc fail!

Oc fail!

From this morning's Everett Herald:

http://heraldnet.com/article/2011092...9933/-1/NEWS01

While on foot at (a park), officers were contacted by an alarmed citizen who said that there was an individual with a gun on his hip smoking from a bong in the park. The officers made contact with (the man), who had a concealed weapons permit and was smoking tobacco from a hookah pipe. He said that he was a criminal justice student and thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong. The officers attempted to explain to him why people would be concerned and he concealed his gun.
    Interesting thought process here.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I smoke my hookah on my patio all the time while OC and I am not sure what I get more funny looks from. Then firearm, the pipe or my Pomeranian trying to get of the patio.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Nothing illegal done. No problem with it myself.
    Someone testing the waters and pushing the boundaries a little is actually a good thing in my mind.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Nanny state evidence....

look at all of the (caller)'s reporting legal things going on... seems to me it is more evidence of a nanny state going on....

(Caller) reported a male dressed in camouflage, carrying a rifle, was near the location. The officer found SCSO was conducting SWAT training.
    (Caller) reported an older male walking around carrying a hand axe. The officers located the Fire Marshal conducting an inspection.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Nothing illegal done. No problem with it myself.
    Someone testing the waters and pushing the boundaries a little is actually a good thing in my mind.
    I didn't have a problem with it either.
    I just wondered why he "thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong." That's the only part I couldn't quite wrap my mind around. What difference would it have made if he had left it concealed?????
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    look at all of the (caller)'s reporting legal things going on... seems to me it is more evidence of a nanny state going on....
    Did you perhaps misspell a word in your "title"? Wouldn't "Ninny" be more correct?

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I just wondered why he "thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong." That's the only part I couldn't quite wrap my mind around. What difference would it have made if he had left it concealed?????
    A hookah and a bong look nothing alike. They work off the same principal but a bong was designed to be used in conjunction with marijuana while a hookah was designed to be used with a specific type of tobacco. People should be able to recognize the difference. I have never smoked pot but I can tell the difference.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

He should have his head examined. Tobacco is harmful to your chest.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

I think that might include, he would not want someone to try rob him...he was in a public place, and some uninformed person thought he had MJ?

Tobacco induced cancer is almost as bad as a high speed lethal injection of lead poisoning.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

As a former 911 dispatcher, I can honestly tell you that calls like this are a DAILY occurrence. People are constantly reporting not only legal things, but things that also go against their morals. There have literally been calls on Bainbridge Island for a "suspicious black man" When you ask what is suspicious you get "Well, this is Bainbridge, he is black...you figure it out."

What sucks about it is that as a 911 center you end up encouraging people to call in stuff like that by telling them "You did the right thing by calling" or "Don't deal with it yourself, just call 911" which is making people far less self sufficient, and making them rely on government, to include the police that are willing to do more for people to help them out of jams. I think about 5 times a day you get a call for "I locked my keys in the car!" When you tell them that police don't respond to that, they get angry swear, tell you they pay taxes and hang up. Unfortunately this is becoming both a nanny AND ninny state, and no one is helping the situation.

The article reads like a long list of ways to waste taxpayers dollars.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 09-24-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    A hookah and a bong look nothing alike. They work off the same principal but a bong was designed to be used in conjunction with marijuana while a hookah was designed to be used with a specific type of tobacco. People should be able to recognize the difference. I have never smoked pot but I can tell the difference.
    What you say is partially true. When I went to college in the 60's there sure were a lot of hookah's on "Greek Row" at the U-Dub. Maybe once upon a time in their lives they actually were used to smoke real tobacco of some type or another. Most of the stuff I saw used was a special tobacco known as "Good Stuff".

One of the houses even had a hookah made from a Fire Hydrant.

Maybe in the Mid-East and a few coffee houses here in the US they're used exclusivelyfor "tobacco".

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter66 View Post

What sucks about it is that as a 911 center you end up encouraging people to call in stuff like that by telling them "You did the right thing by calling" or "Don't deal with it yourself, just call 911" which is making people far less self sufficient, and making them rely on government, to include the police that are willing to do more for people to help them out of jams.

Probably won't change anytime soon though. I can't see any 911 centers telling callers "only call if you had to shoot someone breaking in to your car or house".

Probably won't change anytime soon though. I can't see any 911 centers telling callers "only call if you had to shoot someone breaking in to your car or house".
    No kidding... I had a detail once that was a homeowner holding a violent burglar (punched the homeowner in the face before the gun came out) at gun point, and the call receiver was yelling at him to run away and get safe and put the gun away... It actually mortified me... Then the cops got there and were using the loudhailer to tell the homeowner to put the weapon away and come out hands in the air... WTF???? what about the damn burglar who is still in the house?!??!?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter66 View Post
    No kidding... I had a detail once that was a homeowner holding a violent burglar (punched the homeowner in the face before the gun came out) at gun point, and the call receiver was yelling at him to run away and get safe and put the gun away... It actually mortified me... Then the cops got there and were using the loudhailer to tell the homeowner to put the weapon away and come out hands in the air... WTF???? what about the damn burglar who is still in the house?!??!?
    I'd like to know more. Was this a WA 911 dispatch center? And were the police who, ignored the burglar, and yelled at the homeowner to come out with his hands up, disciplined?

It looked like a kid taking criminal justice 101 or something that had a few things click in his head and wanted to test the waters of the "justice system".

People do things (including myself) that don't appear to be good idea to others, some things I see I can't wrap my head around, but as long is isn't causing harm to me or others, I just chuckle (as I am sure some feel about me) and move on.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

I still am trying to figure out why he felt it was a better idea OC while doing this? Not questioning the Hookah, or the possibility his actions might be viewed as questionable. Just why he felt he shouldn't be Concealed Carrying while doing this.

Did he think he'd have a better chance with the Police if they saw his firearm when responding to a "PSITP" (Pot Smoker in the Park) call and they could see he was armed?

medical M.J. and guns. huh. two very talked about and argued subjects. What a better way to shock or grasp attention to be doing both. Was it to see what the public would react to or was it to see what the police would do? Interesting study if you ask me. Interesting responce from the police, I believe they did say just cover up and stop alarming the public, as the public can't handle it and not that he was breaking the law. wow then they violated his right as tabacco is legal and open carry is legal. gosh

<quote>He said that he was a criminal justice student and thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong. </quote>

Bet he thought both would be perceived as lawbreaking and wanted to see which would get the biggest response. Not sure why he covered up after they talked to him, however.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble, but a Hookah was designed to smoke opium and hashish........Tobacco came MUCH later Why, as recently as the '60's they were being used for opium and hashish.

Here is a little history, so as to give you a cite. But I'm old enough not to need the cite!

http://www.hookahcompany.com/hookah_history.htm
    Last edited by OlGutshotWilly; 09-27-2011 at 02:42 AM.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    <quote>He said that he was a criminal justice student and thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong. </quote>

Bet he thought both would be perceived as lawbreaking and wanted to see which would get the biggest response. Not sure why he covered up after they talked to him, however.
    Thats what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    But I'm old enough not to need the cite!
    Me too. The main difference between a "Bong" and a Hookah is a piece of hose or two and the ability of several to "share" without having to pass it around.