• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc fail!

amlevin

From this morning's Everett Herald:

http://heraldnet.com/article/20110923/BLOG41/110929933/-1/NEWS01

While on foot at (a park), officers were contacted by an alarmed citizen who said that there was an individual with a gun on his hip smoking from a bong in the park. The officers made contact with (the man), who had a concealed weapons permit and was smoking tobacco from a hookah pipe. He said that he was a criminal justice student and thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong. The officers attempted to explain to him why people would be concerned and he concealed his gun.

Interesting thought process here.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Nanny state evidence....

look at all of the (caller)'s reporting legal things going on... seems to me it is more evidence of a nanny state going on....

(Caller) reported a male dressed in camouflage, carrying a rifle, was near the location. The officer found SCSO was conducting SWAT training.

(Caller) reported an older male walking around carrying a hand axe. The officers located the Fire Marshal conducting an inspection.

amlevin

Nothing illegal done. No problem with it myself.
Someone testing the waters and pushing the boundaries a little is actually a good thing in my mind.

I didn't have a problem with it either.
I just wondered why he "thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong." That's the only part I couldn't quite wrap my mind around. What difference would it have made if he had left it concealed?????

decklin

I just wondered why he "thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong." That's the only part I couldn't quite wrap my mind around. What difference would it have made if he had left it concealed?????

A hookah and a bong look nothing alike. They work off the same principal but a bong was designed to be used in conjunction with marijuana while a hookah was designed to be used with a specific type of tobacco. People should be able to recognize the difference. I have never smoked pot but I can tell the difference.

hermannr

I think that might include, he would not want someone to try rob him...he was in a public place, and some uninformed person thought he had MJ?

MadHatter66

As a former 911 dispatcher, I can honestly tell you that calls like this are a DAILY occurrence. People are constantly reporting not only legal things, but things that also go against their morals. There have literally been calls on Bainbridge Island for a "suspicious black man" When you ask what is suspicious you get "Well, this is Bainbridge, he is black...you figure it out."

What sucks about it is that as a 911 center you end up encouraging people to call in stuff like that by telling them "You did the right thing by calling" or "Don't deal with it yourself, just call 911" which is making people far less self sufficient, and making them rely on government, to include the police that are willing to do more for people to help them out of jams. I think about 5 times a day you get a call for "I locked my keys in the car!" When you tell them that police don't respond to that, they get angry swear, tell you they pay taxes and hang up. Unfortunately this is becoming both a nanny AND ninny state, and no one is helping the situation.

Dave_pro2a

The article reads like a long list of ways to waste taxpayers dollars.

Last edited:

amlevin

A hookah and a bong look nothing alike. They work off the same principal but a bong was designed to be used in conjunction with marijuana while a hookah was designed to be used with a specific type of tobacco. People should be able to recognize the difference. I have never smoked pot but I can tell the difference.

What you say is partially true. When I went to college in the 60's there sure were a lot of hookah's on "Greek Row" at the U-Dub. Maybe once upon a time in their lives they actually were used to smoke real tobacco of some type or another. Most of the stuff I saw used was a special tobacco known as "Good Stuff";).

One of the houses even had a hookah made from a Fire Hydrant.

Maybe in the Mid-East and a few coffee houses here in the US they're used exclusivelyfor "tobacco".

amlevin

What sucks about it is that as a 911 center you end up encouraging people to call in stuff like that by telling them "You did the right thing by calling" or "Don't deal with it yourself, just call 911" which is making people far less self sufficient, and making them rely on government, to include the police that are willing to do more for people to help them out of jams.

Probably won't change anytime soon though. I can't see any 911 centers telling callers "only call if you had to shoot someone breaking in to your car or house".

MadHatter66

Probably won't change anytime soon though. I can't see any 911 centers telling callers "only call if you had to shoot someone breaking in to your car or house".

No kidding... I had a detail once that was a homeowner holding a violent burglar (punched the homeowner in the face before the gun came out) at gun point, and the call receiver was yelling at him to run away and get safe and put the gun away... It actually mortified me... Then the cops got there and were using the loudhailer to tell the homeowner to put the weapon away and come out hands in the air... WTF???? what about the damn burglar who is still in the house?!??!?

Wolfebane

No kidding... I had a detail once that was a homeowner holding a violent burglar (punched the homeowner in the face before the gun came out) at gun point, and the call receiver was yelling at him to run away and get safe and put the gun away... It actually mortified me... Then the cops got there and were using the loudhailer to tell the homeowner to put the weapon away and come out hands in the air... WTF???? what about the damn burglar who is still in the house?!??!?

I'd like to know more. Was this a WA 911 dispatch center? And were the police who, ignored the burglar, and yelled at the homeowner to come out with his hands up, disciplined?

sudden valley gunner

It looked like a kid taking criminal justice 101 or something that had a few things click in his head and wanted to test the waters of the "justice system".

People do things (including myself) that don't appear to be good idea to others, some things I see I can't wrap my head around, but as long is isn't causing harm to me or others, I just chuckle (as I am sure some feel about me) and move on.

amlevin

I still am trying to figure out why he felt it was a better idea OC while doing this? Not questioning the Hookah, or the possibility his actions might be viewed as questionable. Just why he felt he shouldn't be Concealed Carrying while doing this.

Did he think he'd have a better chance with the Police if they saw his firearm when responding to a "PSITP" (Pot Smoker in the Park) call and they could see he was armed?

waterfowl woody

medical M.J. and guns. huh. two very talked about and argued subjects. What a better way to shock or grasp attention to be doing both. Was it to see what the public would react to or was it to see what the police would do? Interesting study if you ask me. Interesting responce from the police, I believe they did say just cover up and stop alarming the public, as the public can't handle it and not that he was breaking the law. wow then they violated his right as tabacco is legal and open carry is legal. gosh

heresolong

<quote>He said that he was a criminal justice student and thought it would be a good idea to leave his gun unconcealed while smoking from what looked like a marijuana bong. </quote>

Bet he thought both would be perceived as lawbreaking and wanted to see which would get the biggest response. Not sure why he covered up after they talked to him, however.