• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

under 21 handgun ownership questions.

E46m3

I live in Washington state (the part with a lot of sissies). I'm 18 and have a few questions to ask. My understanding is I can purchase and legally own a handgun as long as I buy from a private party. Is this true? I was also wondering if I can open carry. I'm pretty sure I can't open carry under normal circumstances, but I could open carry if I were fishing and have a valid fishing license. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Aknazer

I can't comment on the state law for open carrying but yes you may own a handgun. The law only prevents you from buying a handgun from an FFL (so from stores).

Px4er

I am 18 and also in WA state.

You can buy a handgun from a private seller. You can buy ammo from a private seller, or from online ammunition dealers. (Ammotogo, Midway, etc.)

You can carry a unloaded gun in a secure wrapper or opaque case.. Doesn't mean the mag can't be an inch from the mag well...

You can carry while at a legitimate outdoor activity. So.. If you are standing in the middle of the Puyallup river with a valid fishing license and a fishing rod, I think you are fine, or while hiking on a trail, or camping with a tent. You just need some evidence you are actually participating in a lawful activity, because we can only carry hadnguns for personal defense from animals, it is NOT a loophole for us to carry for other reasons.

Oh, and you can do whatever you want in your house ofc.

silver

I went to school in WA state last year, and as such i studied up a little on the laws of Washington. It is legal for you to carry a loaded firearms on your person if participating or going to or from a firearms related venue (collectors meeting for example), out door activities, in your fixed place of residence, or in your fixed place of business(job).

here is Washington code relating to firearms
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

while it is difficult for an under 21 year old to carry a HG, it can be done, as mentioned by gaarry if it is unloaded and closed in an opaque container. I beleive harbor freight sells one that may work if you are interested.

contrary to what gaary said however, you cannot buy handgun ammo if you are under 21, according to federal law, online. Idk how they verify it however, as ive never tried to do so.

and im wondering about that as well, as there are 9mm, 40sw, and 45 acp carbines and rifles, so can you buy those if you say theyre for use in a rifle? any one have answers for that?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I live in Washington state (the part with a lot of sissies). I'm 18 and have a few questions to ask. My understanding is I can purchase and legally own a handgun as long as I buy from a private party. Is this true? I was also wondering if I can open carry. I'm pretty sure I can't open carry under normal circumstances, but I could open carry if I were fishing and have a valid fishing license. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your in WA, so go to the WA state threads and you will find a wealth of knowledge. Also maybe PM greenisfaster.

Aknazer

Given what Navy says then it seems like all a company would have to do is split off the division that handles the sale of ammo so that they don't need to worry about the FFL bit. Naturally one can't do that in a store, but I don't think it would be too hard for online sales.

hermannr

There is a lot of misinformation on what/or what not and 18-21 year old can do in WA. Read RCW 9.41.040 VERY carefully and comply and you will be fine. REMEMBER! RCW 9.41 is all about concealed carry! not OC. Very few specific talk about "possession" without also talking about "concealed". Also remember: in RCW 9.41 a "Juvenile" is under 18. Very specifically note: RCW 9.41.040(2)(iii) and the words "under 18"....by inference, this does not apply to "over 18". Therefor.....

I am of the understanding that an 18 year old can OC loaded, but not in a Vehicle, just like everyone over 21. I know there are some very specific circumstances stated that a minor (onder 18) can carry, (OC or CC) so also read RCW 9.41.042 very carefully..if it applys to under 18, it will also apply to over 18. Also remember, 90% of RCW 9.41 only concerns CC. RCW 9.41.040 specifically applies to "possession" so you really need to know and understand this section. Read the rest, study .040 carefully.

hermannr

Hej Navy, you are correct, mostly anyway,,,as is usual, Yes, I had not referenced 240. Now I have one for you...see RCW 9.41.060(5), NRA is authorized to receive firearms from the US government,,,No? (at least they used to be when I was younger...granted that was a few :) years ago....)

Yes, I know E43 did not specifically state that he was a member of the NRA, but Gaarry's avitar brought that to mind.

as to .240...There is something else that needs to find file 13 along with .190, .220, and .270. BTW: Please note, all these particular sections were enacted in 1994 (anti-gang hysteria)

Last edited:

hermannr

Hej Navy! I just wanted to add a couple things...I am very happy I have been looking at RCW 9.41 more closely...even though I turned 21 before the GCA 68 (and a lot of the WA state law) even existed, so I am learning, making some mistakes because of memory, but learning. Like all of the firearms laws I realy object to are relatively new...

During this process I have found that someone very close to me has a problem that needs correction...even if that problem is over 10 years old. I would hate to think that person could get in trouble because of something I did not do.