Thread: Oceanside Harbor Days

Cool Oceanside Harbor Days

Harbor Days is going on right now and tomorrow (24 -25 Sept) Is this some where that you are able to open carry? It is outside any school zone, at least to the best of my knowledge. And I know not to go to the sand, as I was told it is considered a state/city park.

Please let me know because I would like to open carry here.

Thank you.

The best answer to your question is YOU have to do the research yourself. I have never carried there but If I did decide to go, I would do some serious map searches for schools, identify the zones and insure I wont be close either strolling in the harbor or the parking area, insure im not on government property at any time. Then if I felt confident im not violating any law then I would go.

You ultimately are responsible for your research and findings, dont trust anyone elses word. They wont get you out of jail if you inadvertantly break the law. Perhaps some people who have carried in Oceanside may chime in and give you some helpful info or pointers, inform you about Oceanside LE and how they have been trained and there stance, but please do your own research.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    The best answer to your question is YOU have to do the research yourself. I have never carried there but If I did decide to go, I would do some serious map searches for schools, identify the zones and insure I wont be close either strolling in the harbor or the parking area, insure im not on government property at any time. Then if I felt confident im not violating any law then I would go.

You ultimately are responsible for your research and findings, dont trust anyone elses word. They wont get you out of jail if you inadvertantly break the law. Perhaps some people who have carried in Oceanside may chime in and give you some helpful info or pointers, inform you about Oceanside LE and how they have been trained and there stance, but please do your own research.
    Thanks. That is what I'm working on.
    What do you mean here, "insure I wont be close either strolling in the harbor or the parking area"?

I'm just getting nervous again like the meet we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Carvajal View Post
    Thanks. That is what I'm working on.
    What do you mean here, "insure I wont be close either strolling in the harbor or the parking area"?

I'm just getting nervous again like the meet we had.
    Refering to school zones, look for montessoris and private schools, and find out if the harbor is public or government property.

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Refering to school zones, look for montessoris and private schools, and find out if the harbor is public or government property.
    I agree with the first part of this post, but why be concerned for the gov't property? It is only illegal to take guns INTO gov't buildings, not on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    I agree with the first part of this post, but why be concerned for the gov't property? It is only illegal to take guns INTO gov't buildings, not on the property.
    Only because of awareness, one may not realize that a building they may enter is actually a government owned building, the most prevalent that comes to mind is a restroom building. Most of these public restrooms, usually found along coastlines and parks, are actually owned by the city and technically are public buildings. In all likelyhood probably not on most LEO's radar, but we have to take into account the overzealous anti rights LEO that we may encounter.

I believe you are re to cpc sec 171b. No guns in public buildings.

from cpc, sec 171b

(c) As used in this section, "state or local public building"
    means a building that meets all of the following criteria:
    (1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the
    state or local government, if state or local public employees are
    regularly present for the purposes of performing their official
    duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not limited
    to, a building that contains a courtroom.
    (2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is
    referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this
    code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.
    (3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be
    used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.

You will see that a restroom does not meet that law. As we do not have state/gov't employees that regularly present in restrooms that I know of anyhow.
    I would also hope that no state employee uses a r/r as his own place of residence.(joke)

Hope this clears it up a little for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    I believe you are re to cpc sec 171b. No guns in public buildings.

from cpc, sec 171b

(c) As used in this section, "state or local public building"
    means a building that meets all of the following criteria:
    (1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the
    state or local government, if state or local public employees are
    regularly present for the purposes of performing their official
    duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not limited
    to, a building that contains a courtroom.
    (2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is
    referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this
    code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.
    (3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be
    used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.

You will see that a restroom does not meet that law. As we do not have state/gov't employees that regularly present in restrooms that I know of anyhow.
    I would also hope that no state employee uses a r/r as his own place of residence.(joke)

Hope this clears it up a little for some.
    Yes very clear, but no guarantee that an overzealous LE depatment, with an anti gun DA, who finds a sympathetic judge, wont try and charge you with a crime even though one doesnt exsist. It has happend to Theseus, it can happen again. Play it safe and stay away from any kind of public building.

Here's the memo

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Carvajal View Post
    Harbor Days is going on right now and tomorrow (24 -25 Sept) Is this some where that you are able to open carry? It is outside any school zone, at least to the best of my knowledge. And I know not to go to the sand, as I was told it is considered a state/city park.

Please let me know because I would like to open carry here.

Thank you.
    Please have your recording device operational at all times. I have carried along the whole of Oceanside boardwalk and the pier without any problems, the police do patrol the whole seafront during these events.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/car...2009-03-12.pdf

Should help with your questions maybe you can print it and take it with you
    Last edited by EXTREMEOPS1; 09-26-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    Please have your recording device operational at all times. I have carried along the whole of Oceanside boardwalk and the pier without any problems, the police do patrol the whole seafront during these events.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/car...2009-03-12.pdf

Should help with your questions maybe you can print it and take it with you
    Thank you.

Speaking of Oceanside pier.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xgv2Oc7VR8
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.