• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Registration elimination Steering Commitee.

acmariner99

I must say I am surprised. The residents of Clark County are subject to this registration requirement while the rest of Nevada AND any visitors to the Las Vegas area are not subject to said requirement. Thankfully OC is a non-issue in Nevada regardless of where one is from. I'm not from Nevada, but I have frequented Clark County in recent years. (And thank you for recognizing the AZ CWP as well -- though not like that matters in Nevada so much) How can I help?

usmcmustang

I must say I am surprised. The residents of Clark County are subject to this registration requirement while the rest of Nevada AND any visitors to the Las Vegas area are not subject to said requirement.

Not only residents... but non-residents as well. For Clark County residents - A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer. For non-residents of Clark County - A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

So, registration is required in Clark County for both residents and non-residents... just different time frame for registration.

Thankfully OC is a non-issue in Nevada regardless of where one is from.

Maybe not... if you find yourself in a vehicle in the City of North Las Vegas, lawfully OCing, and pulled over for a traffic violation, you may be cited (perhaps arrested and jailed) as well for a violation of that city's pre-1989 local ordinance prohibiting a "dangerous or deadly" weapon in a vehicle. It has happened in the not too distant past.

acmariner99

Not only residents... but non-residents as well. For Clark County residents - A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer. For non-residents of Clark County - A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

So, registration is required in Clark County for both residents and non-residents... just different time frame for registration.

Typically I am within the "registration zone" for less than 72 hours - if not much less than that. "Casual vacationers" who just visit Las Vegas short term are NOT subject to registration. That is what I find odd. Granted I suppose it allows consistency with USC 926A. (Travel with firearms through more restrictive jurisdictions). I have carried OC in LV/Henderson without any hassle from LVMPD or any establishments I have visited.

Maybe not... if you find yourself in a vehicle in the City of North Las Vegas, lawfully OCing, and pulled over for a traffic violation, you may be cited (perhaps arrested and jailed) as well for a violation of that city's pre-1989 local ordinance prohibiting a "dangerous or deadly" weapon in a vehicle. It has happened in the not too distant past.

Does that restriction apply to those with a valid CWP in Nevada?

SoLasVegas

A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

Registration is NOT required for non-residents.

How does a non-resident ever obtain 60 days of residency without first becoming a resident?

wrightme

Registration is NOT required for non-residents.

How does a non-resident ever obtain 60 days of residency without first becoming a resident?

By being a temporary resident while retaining actual residence in another state. As example, military members. Or, contract workers who actually reside in another state. It is not a stretch to come up with persons who would fit into that area of 60 days.

usmcmustang

Does that restriction apply to those with a valid CWP in Nevada?

North Las Vegas Municipal Ordinance 9.32.080 - It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

North Las Vegas Municipal Ordinance 9.32.040 defines “dangerous or deadly weapons.” That ordinance sets forth and describes a number of items that are considered “dangerous or deadly weapons” by the City of North Las Vegas, a firearm being one. However, the ordinance excludes certain firearms from its definition. It says: “The term ‘dangerous or deadly weapons’ includes… any firearm other than (a) one carried pursuant to a valid permit, issued by a duly authorized government authority, or (b) an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport.”

Now, your question is ???? Does the restriction apply to lawful OCing IF one has a CWP? Does the restriction apply to CCing IF one has a CWP? Does the restriction apply to lawful OCing AND CCing (at the same time) IF one has a CWP? Does the restriction apply to lawful OCing?

Seems a "dangerous or deadly weapon" is NOT a firearm "carried pursuant to a valid permit, issued by a duly authorized government authority..."
My interpretation would obviously include CC with a CWP, but also lawful OC.

Last edited:

SoLasVegas

By being a temporary resident while retaining actual residence in another state. As example, military members. Or, contract workers who actually reside in another state. It is not a stretch to come up with persons who would fit into that area of 60 days.

You are still creating residency within the county, whether it is temporary or not. If you are a temporary or seasonal resident, then you can't really call yourself a non-resident.

You can vote in state or county elections after only 30 days of residency. You are also required by law to get a NV state drivers license within 30 days of establishing residency, unless you provide proof of your seasonal residency.

wrightme

You are still creating residency within the county, whether it is temporary or not. If you are a temporary or seasonal resident, then you can't really call yourself a non-resident.

You can vote in state or county elections after only 30 days of residency. You are also required by law to get a NV state drivers license within 30 days of establishing residency, unless you provide proof of your seasonal residency.

That is different than a non-resident who is in the state for more than 60 days. You are over-thinking it.

A non-resident is still a non-resident, unless they have moved and are now a resident.

As example, someone who is a resident of Montana, but "snowbirds" to vegas for several months of the winter. They may be in Vegas for more than 60 days, but they are STILL a non-resident.

usmcmustang

One’s residency within the County must extend to “a period of at least 60 days,” in order to require firearm registration. Call oneself what one will... non-resident, temp-resident, part-time-resident, tourist-resident... doesn't matter. The first 60 days of residency (living in Clark County) have no firearm registration requirements. Once residency extends beyond 60 days, then it's registration time.

For those of us whose residency in Clark County is well established... we have a "period of at least 72 hours for the registration... upon transfer of title... by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
"

http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/resident.htm

Last edited:

SoLasVegas

That is different than a non-resident who is in the state for more than 60 days. You are over-thinking it.

A non-resident is still a non-resident, unless they have moved and are now a resident.

As example, someone who is a resident of Montana, but "snowbirds" to vegas for several months of the winter. They may be in Vegas for more than 60 days, but they are STILL a non-resident.

Now you are talking about something completely different. They are non-residents, so they should not need to register their firearms, even if they are visiting for more than 60 days. On the other hand, if they live and work here during that time, then they are residents according to the NRS.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Conference Call on Sunday

I have mentioned My friend with repeal machine on another thread, He was a member of the VCDL when he lived in virginia, He has a systematic way to weed the legislature, it has been proven to work in the Motorcycle helmet world.

While he has the website to utilize for us gun guys, he has not activated it, becouse of the enormity of the logistics behind gun laws, with pre- emption, parks, and cars, and all the facets involved. So the gun thing is more difficult than finding out if your Representitive is "for helmet choice" or against, or nuetral.

So I approached him with the idea that we can use it for a single issue, such as registration in Clark County.
He has warmed up to the idea and does not know that I would like to add the nevada system of higher education to the site, yet.

So he has agreed to make a Prototype, and use Clark County registration as the test bed! We will be hosting a conference call, to explain and answer questions as well as get new ideas. this sunday the 9th at 1:00 pm. If you want to join in, PM me your email, and a contact name you want to be identified by, you will get an invite. if I have your email let me know that way.

I will also provide a link on here for those who just want to listen, or miss it and want to hear the archived version later.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

It also depends on how they count "residency." That may include "establishing a presence," such as renting a home (or PO box), takng full-time employment, etc., while still actually being resident somewhere else.

The arbitrary and capricious nature of this requirement is another reason to kill the law.

SDSG

Sorry for just now catching this post and joining.

I am a (somewhat) experienced campaign adviser and community organizer with experience in petitioning. Of course, my work was done prior to 2006 when a number of landmark events taken by the AFLCIO changed the process.

A simple and cost effective way to tackle this would be to petition for 5-10k signatures and bring this to our legislators in order to demonstrate the people desire for eliminating the registration portion of the NRS. This would do no more than encourage our legislators to write a bill containing such language.

A more direct (and expensive) approach would be to gather the necessary 73, 252 signatures required to get the issue on the ballot for the people to vote on directly.

I would be happy to help organize such an effort but I can tell you that it will be very difficult without financial support.... That being said, its what local governance is all about. Please let me know how I can help.

Last edited: