• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bonidy v. USPS

JamesB

This is one of the cases we were discussing at the meet n greet in Aurora yesterday.

Basically it is asking the courts to apply McDonald to the Post Office to recognize carry there. It is happening here in Colorado...

Read more about it here: http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/legal_cases.cfm?legalcaseid=231

or: http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/12/bonidy-v-usps-postal-service-moves-to.html

Most recently it is broken down simply to the point of carry in the parking lot of the Post Office and not in the actual building. Small steps right?

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/04/bonidy-v-usps-not-over-yet.html

The lawyer handeling the case is Jim Manly. He's the same one that's doing the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus v. CSU. Every monday I look to see if the ruling for that one has come out.

RebelWolf

The lawyer handeling the case is Jim Manly. He's the same one that's doing the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus v. CSU. Every monday I look to see if the ruling for that one has come out.

That has been implemented in the law already.

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

Annotation​

"Institutions of higher education not exempt from the express authorization of permittees to carry concealed handguns "in all areas of the state". The concealed carry act, §§ 18-12-201 to 18-12-216, satisfies the "unless otherwise [provided] by law" provision of article VIII, section 5(2), of the state constitution by manifesting a clear and unmistakable intent to subject the entire state to a single statutory scheme regulating concealed handgun carry, subject to specified exceptions. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, LLC v. Regents of Univ. of Colo., __ P.3d __ (Colo. App. 2010)."

JamesB

That has been implemented in the law already.

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

Annotation​

"Institutions of higher education not exempt from the express authorization of permittees to carry concealed handguns "in all areas of the state". The concealed carry act, §§ 18-12-201 to 18-12-216, satisfies the "unless otherwise [provided] by law" provision of article VIII, section 5(2), of the state constitution by manifesting a clear and unmistakable intent to subject the entire state to a single statutory scheme regulating concealed handgun carry, subject to specified exceptions. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, LLC v. Regents of Univ. of Colo., __ P.3d __ (Colo. App. 2010)."

Yes, but... This was at the Appelate level where SCCC won. The CSU Regents have appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court (Thanks for needlessly raising my tuition). Oral arguements have been made there already. Now just twiddling my thumbs to await the newest verdict.

Check back every monday: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/Case_Announcements/Index.cfm

Last edited:

RebelWolf

Why can't they just leave well enough alone? "Mommy" told them we could carry.... Why must they talk to Grandpa?

I say they allow open carry everywhere, and leave us alone.

I eagerly await the results as well now! Until then, I'll keep carrying wherever I can.

RebelWolf

RebelWolf

Our grandfathers' grandfathers did just that: "...the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Problem is, there's a LOT of people in the U.S. who can't read.

I'm sitting in math class, and it's amazing how many people can't add, subtract, multiply, or divide without a calculator. Word problems really mess them up! Reading and adding stuff is "to hard." So when you ask someone "If the government takes away our rights, what is left?" They turn into deer in the front of your car, and don't know what to do!:banana:

RebelWolf

jmar254

Just to be clear, the Colorado Supreme Court case is against CU in The peoples Republic of Boulder, not CSU in Fort Collins.

Last edited:

JamesB

Just to be clear, the Colorado Supreme Court case is against CU in The peoples Republic of Boulder, not CSU in Fort Collins.

Quite correct. I apologize for the error and for slighting those who are administerating CSU. I do not wish to imply that CSU is dumb enough to try and ban concealed carry on their campus (again).

Zakaris

California Right To Carry

The audio to the Oral Arguments to Bonidy are here.

A non-party to the appeal filed a motion to release the oral arguments which was granted yesterday. I sent him an email asking for a copy which he forwarded to me this afternoon.

I've added the oral arguments in the Bonidy case to my collection of Second Amendment oral arguments maintained at my website.

You can find the audio to the Bonidy Oral arguments under the October 21, 2014 Update by clicking here.