Thread: Going to Tenn. for vacation. Question about Open Carry in your state

Going to Tenn. for vacation. Question about Open Carry in your state

I have been reading up on Tennessee's laws for carrying a handgun. I see that they recognize other state's carry permits. I have not been able to find an answer to my question however.

I'm from Ohio. I do not have a concealed carry permit, however in Ohio anyone can open carry providing that they are 21 years of age and are legally allowed to own a firearm with no need to have any kind of permit. I'm not really concerned with OC in any city or whatnot, mainly just concerned about OC in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My wife and I plan to do quite a bit of hiking there, and call me paranoid, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

So the question being, can i OC in the park without need for a permit since my state does not require one for OC?

No.

Carry in National Parks follow the laws of the state they are in. In TN you must have a permit to carry whether it OC or CC.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park's website even notes that it is two states and that vistors need to know whether they are in TN or NC and the laws for that state.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I figured as much. Was just hoping that there was an off chance that I could. Thanks.

Make sure you take a drive down the 321 in honor of Terry Barnrard. He's the motorcyclist who was rundown and killed by the drunk Tenn **** Sen Koella.

The drunk senator who fled the murder scene only to have a highway named after him after his death.

Justice served Tenn style.

http://piratenews.org/koella.html
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by falfreeman View Post
    I figured as much. Was just hoping that there was an off chance that I could. Thanks.
    Yeah, never hurts to ask. No Problem.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I had this very question but I'm from Florida. We too do not need a permit to open carry while hiking amd the lile. My wife amd I have looked at diffetent parts of the Appalachian trail. Seems GA is like TN. My conclusion is needed or not I guess I need to get a permit in Fl if I plan on hiking a lot out of state.