• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Tenn. for vacation. Question about Open Carry in your state

falfreeman

I have been reading up on Tennessee's laws for carrying a handgun. I see that they recognize other state's carry permits. I have not been able to find an answer to my question however.

I'm from Ohio. I do not have a concealed carry permit, however in Ohio anyone can open carry providing that they are 21 years of age and are legally allowed to own a firearm with no need to have any kind of permit. I'm not really concerned with OC in any city or whatnot, mainly just concerned about OC in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My wife and I plan to do quite a bit of hiking there, and call me paranoid, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

So the question being, can i OC in the park without need for a permit since my state does not require one for OC?

Fallguy

No.

Carry in National Parks follow the laws of the state they are in. In TN you must have a permit to carry whether it OC or CC.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park's website even notes that it is two states and that vistors need to know whether they are in TN or NC and the laws for that state.

HandyHamlet

Make sure you take a drive down the 321 in honor of Terry Barnrard. He's the motorcyclist who was rundown and killed by the drunk Tenn **** Sen Koella.

The drunk senator who fled the murder scene only to have a highway named after him after his death.

Justice served Tenn style.

http://piratenews.org/koella.html

twant4

I had this very question but I'm from Florida. We too do not need a permit to open carry while hiking amd the lile. My wife amd I have looked at diffetent parts of the Appalachian trail. Seems GA is like TN. My conclusion is needed or not I guess I need to get a permit in Fl if I plan on hiking a lot out of state.