• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was arrested

Would you convict someone on this charge?

• Total voters

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good that your case was dismissed. Quick question, why was the gun and holster in the trash can? Can you give us a quick run-down of what happened or link a previous thread. I had a little trouble reading the statements on my phone and my computer.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Good that your case was dismissed. Quick question, why was the gun and holster in the trash can? Can you give us a quick run-down of what happened or link a previous thread. I had a little trouble reading the statements on my phone and my computer.

Bolded for emphasis. Ditching your gun and holster in the dumpster lends to the impression that there was some attempt to conceal guilt.

As for the video with the police reports- one cannot make heads or tails of what is going on unless you pause it to read the documents. I cant say that this is either helpful or relevant to the topic of open carry.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yep, post a video with no explanation, that's the way to do it. Something is really fishy here. I will change my opinion if the OP decides to come back and enlighten us.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Yea, throwing your gun in the trash looks really bad... if you were hiding from attackers and had the time i'd have it in the holster on the ground and a few steps away from me (when the police arrived). Throwing it in the trash? Wtf?

Firemark

It is hard to read the youtube video documents, but it appears you were charged with 12050 concealed weapons charge, however since it was never found on you or concealed and if you went to court you explained what happend the case was probably dismissed for lack of witnesses/evidence. Please provide more details.

Of course not knowing what happend in the bar or why your were chased from it. The fact that alcohol was involved and most likely you were partaking the libation as well, sounds like lots of bad decisions occured and you eventually went for your LUCC weapon and loaded it for fear for your life. Please provide us with more details.

Throwing it in the dumpster, I dont get why you did that. but hindsight is 20/20, and arm chair quarterbacking now is pointless cause you will paint your story in the best light to make you look good, even if you made poor decisions, or the reality of what happend was different. Please provide more details.

But the good point is we have a discussion about what we need to think about if this happens to any of us.

I have not had to draw and load to protect myself for fear of death from a confrontation, but if I have to my plan is to do the following.
1) As soon as it is safe enough, immediately call 911 and state "I am open carrying, and have been confronted by a threat and I feared for my life and loaded my weapon for self defense. (if I felt it safe enough I would holster or low carry the loaded weapon)
2) I would give a description of the perp as well as myself and my location and will wait in a particular spot for LE to arrive. Or move to a safe location.
3) I would not hang up, I would keep the 911 operator on the line to advise if anything changes, also to record whats going on when LE arrives
4) I would advise the operator I will comply with all orders and requests from arriving LE units. And be prepared to be proned out and cuffed.
5) I would not give any more info about what or how anything happend, I would just keep repeating I feared for my life and drew my weapon for self defense in accordance with what is permissable by the law.

There is a very good chance all this info will be transmitted over the radio to responding units so they have information to make decisions once at scene.

I would expect to be charged with a violation, I would expect to have to settle it either in discovery with the DA, or the judge. (I would hope they would drop the charges before that when they read the PC regarding when one can load their unloaded weapon). Also the 911 call would be recorded and its public record so you can get a copy of it afterwards.

This is another good reason why applying for a LTC and being denied is important it lends credibility to why one must carry LUCC or Open Carry.
Also it makes me realize that I need to keep inside my locked container a recording device ready to go in case I have to deal with this situation.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

The only way I would convict you is IF YOU COMMITTED A CRIME AGAINST SOMEONE!
The gun being in the dumpster simply tells me that you were avoiding arrest due to the sorry good for nothin California laws that restrict you right to carry for legal self defense.
Next time, find a bare ground spot and cover you stuff in a hole. " It works, I promise".

If you didnt commit a crime against anyone, then I see no reason why everyone is so concerned about the weapon being in the dumpster. Yall know why he put it in there!!! Geez!

IS there anyone in here who has a problem with avoiding arrest for something like carrying a gun for self defense? I DONT!!!

Now if you were in the Bar drinking and carrying, then yea I have a problem with that. If you were in the bar Drinking, carrying, and runnig off at the mouth, then you should have a boot in the face.
I have no problem with people in bars carrying guns for defense, but they better not be drinking or acting like a idiot. Guns are for responsible people.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Mr. Redneck,

That may be why he did it. We don't know because he has yet to respond. No matter how you dice it, if he ditched the gun, he was wrong. I unsterstand why he may have done it but I disagree. There are other negative consequences that could arise from hiding a gun in a dumpster. (i.e. someone finds it after the cops left with the OP)

Either way, we are all speculating because we have no details.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

If!! the pistol would have had 8 in the mag and 1 in the chamber,
I would believe that you had armed up and racked, in fear for your life, But
your gun was full up, indicating to me to it had been fully loaded the whole time.
I would not however vote to convict you of 12025, because nobody could prove
that you had not reloaded that 9th round into your mag before the cops found the gun!

I also think you sound a little high strung.
I also wonder why their are no statements from your Friend,
the friend you were drinking with,
the friend whose car you got your gun from out of the trunk,
the friend you were in the bar with when you got threatened enough to go get your gun.
And if the guys in the bar are the reason you went out to get your gun, then
why did you get all concerned about 2 strangers that just happened to drive into the parking lot at that time?

1245A Defender

And!!!!

Did the cops KEEP your gun?
Have you got your gun back?

please, dont misunderstand me,,, im glad that charges were dropped!!
I was only saying that, under the circumstances, the charges seemed to be warranted.

Your story ASKS more questions than it answers...

Where is your FRIEND?

Last edited:

BaconMan

How did your weapon and holster get into the trash bin if you were carrying it legally:question: Also, since you were confronted by bad guys, why did you not go back inside the bar (unless it was closing time) and wait for deputies to arrive:question: If you were not able to go back into the bar and had to flee for your safety, why not just re-holster or place your weapon on the ground when deputies arrived:question:

Dive bars and guns do not mix....:eek:

MR Redenck

Spins a slightly different scenario, but still no confirmed cites or links therefore not enough information to make an informed judgement.

Really?
The most important detail I look for his charges against a person with a gun. Charges that actually involve committing a crime against another person.
Exercising your Constitutional Rights and avoiding arrest against infringing laws just doesnt offend me at all.
Had he been charged with a criminal act against someone or even convicted, then I say Bad Guy With a Gun.
Nothing in this story shows criminal activity to me.
For me to jury a conviction I have to go off the evidence givin.

Kirbinator

1) Why were six men and two women chasing after you? What did you say or do to them? What "Fighting words" did you use?
2) Why did you ditch the gun in the dumpster?

Real life isn't like TV. Just because you live in California doesn't mean you have to live life like you're in a movie.