• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our Ignorant Government - Destruction of valuable firearms

rscottie

I am sick to my stomach.

I just watched an episode of "Border Wars" on National Geographic On Demand.

They just showed them destroying over 2400 firearms that had been seized at the border. Many of them were in excellent shape from all appearances.

The host as well as the agents they had talking were very gleeful to destroy these weapons. They spoke of how these weapons would never be used to hurt any of their agents or innocent children.

I wonder who we need to talk to in the Government about the huge waste of resources this is?

They could sell them to law abiding citizens and use the money to help reduce our taxes.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have said the same for the multiple gun buy-backs reported on this site. It is an incredible waste of a potentially good source of money. The main reason they typically state for destroying the guns is liability issues....

rscottie

I have said the same for the multiple gun buy-backs reported on this site. It is an incredible waste of a potentially good source of money. The main reason they typically state for destroying the guns is liability issues....

Yeah, I can see where they know they would liable when they have been making gun dealers sell guns to prohibited persons in order to ensure they are smuggled to Mexico. Why, they may even get used to kill our citizens or Border Patrol Agents. <sarcasm-off>

Sales to law abiding people would not be a liability no more than if they sell a car and a drunk drives it and kills innocent people. The person driving the car is the problem, not the car.

hermannr

Some states require that seized and surplus firearms be sold at auction. WA is one of them. One restriction is the state will only auction to FFLs. RCW 9.41.098 (2) (you have to read the whole section, May 7, 1993 the rules changed, prior to they could be distroyed, after, not so, unless illegal (full auto))

To distroy a weapon the police need a Judges order, and then can only do so if the weapon is full auto (Illegal to posses except by LE in WA) LE can keep 10% of the firearms for their own use.

What do you need to get this changed on the Federal level? New leader/majority in the Senate and a president that thinks like Ron Paul (or maybe? Herman Cain...don't know about Herman Cain for sure, he has not spoken out on firearms yet, but his fiscal responsibility ideas would be compatable with doing something like this.) I am positive Ron would endorse something like this, just as I am sure Romney would not.

DangerClose

I am sick to my stomach.

They just showed them destroying over 2400 firearms that had been seized at the border. Many of them were in excellent shape from all appearances.

They could sell them to law abiding citizens and use the money to help reduce our taxes.

Our government won't even sell or give away to charities cars from Cash for Clunkers.

rscottie

Can't go around selling Class 3 firearms to the public. Can only destroy them.

This is absolutely not true. If one has the proper tax stamp from the BATF, they can purchase Class 3 Firearms.

Also, I do not think that I saw any Class 3 weapons anyway. They were ordinary revolvers, semi-auto pistols, and semi-auto rifles. The same kind available at any gun shop.

All they need to do is sell them to a Firearms Distributor and let them Distribute them to Gun Stores. The Gun Stores would then sell them as used firearms the same way they sell any firearm.

Doing so would be the logical thing to do. Of course I would not say that our Government is logical in hardly anything.

Why is it that these lefty radicals promote conservation of just about everything yet will grind up these perfectly usefull firearms that should be recycled?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
This is absolutely not true. If one has the proper tax stamp from the BATF, they can purchase Class 3 Firearms.

Also, I do not think that I saw any Class 3 weapons anyway. They were ordinary revolvers, semi-auto pistols, and semi-auto rifles. The same kind available at any gun shop.

All they need to do is sell them to a Firearms Distributor and let them Distribute them to Gun Stores. The Gun Stores would then sell them as used firearms the same way they sell any firearm.

Doing so would be the logical thing to do. Of course I would not say that our Government is logical in hardly anything.

Why is it that these lefty radicals promote conservation of just about everything yet will grind up these perfectly usefull firearms that should be recycled?

I thought kirbinator was being sarcastic?

What they ought to do is hand these guns out to families across the nation. Arm your people.

rscottie

I thought kirbinator was being sarcastic?

What they ought to do is hand these guns out to families across the nation. Arm your people.

If Kirbinator was being sarcastic, then I did not pick it up...can be hard on a forum sometimes. Sorry Kirbinator...

I think your idea Schlitz, to arm the people by handing out these confiscated guns for free would be the best thing Obama has done since being in office!

Last edited:

okboomer

Our government won't even sell or give away to charities cars from Cash for Clunkers.

Yeah, but I sure LIKE what it did to the price of my 2 1989 vehicles ... before C4C, $1000 for one and $1200 for the other, now, $3600 for the one and $4200 for the other :lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran

From a business standpoint, if you were a manufacturer of firearms, would you want your distribution channels saturated with used, but free firearms? Put another way, if you were Ford, how might you feel if the government turned over a lot of used vehicles to your dealers' competitors?

I think there's a lot of lobby pressure on the government to simply destroy them. If demand remains constant and you reduce the supply, the price, as well as the profit margin, goes up.

Make's sense to me.