• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP close encounter

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
On 9/25/2011 my family, friends and I were out for a walk in Monroe, I was open carrying. Several passing vehicles took notice as I was walking strong side towards the road. On the last half of our walk 3 WSP vehicles drove past as we were passing Frylands Elementry School, I was only audio recording at that time.

We decide to grab a bite to eat at Subway just up the road, as we walk up I notice the WSP vehicles outside and turn on my streaming video recorder. We walk in, order & eat without issues, the officers did notice my firearm. As we leave, I notice the WSP vehicles are still parked out in the parking lot, even though they left the store several minutes prior. We decide to finish our walk around the lake, which is in the direction of the WSP vehicles. The officers took note as we walked by and left shortly after we walk by, it seems they may have been waiting for me to leave... who knows.

In the end, there was no interaction with WSP other than a nod on there part. This was my first close encounter with WSP while open carrying. I have had similar good experiences with other local LEO.

I am thinking about FOIA any MWAG calls during my walk.

I created a audio/video for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOMmtVoEpts
[video=youtube;HOMmtVoEpts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOMmtVoEpts[/video]

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Wsp

WSP knows who we are, they know the law. It is WSP that patrols the capitol grounds where we have held 2 Second Amendment Rallies and they have posed for pictures with OCDO members.

250208_10150271612674906_645649905_7476757_6872407_n.jpg

FMCDH

A non-event with Washington State Patrol is exactly what I would expect. Among all LEAs in the state, they have shown the most professionalism and understanding about OC, and firearms law in general.

Thanks for the good report.

Jeff Hayes

My bride with WSP, she's carrying an XD-9. I dont think the officers were concerned

Attachments

• MicheleandWSP.jpg
    MicheleandWSP.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 271

hermannr

The WSP is the best trained, most professional, police force in Washington State. In 40 years of OC I have never had anything negative happen with them. They are number 1! (The Okanogan Sheriff is right in there with them on that scale!).

sudden valley gunner

A non-event with Washington State Patrol is exactly what I would expect. Among all LEAs in the state, they have shown the most professionalism and understanding about OC, and firearms law in general.

Thanks for the good report.

The WSP is the best trained, most professional, police force in Washington State. In 40 years of OC I have never had anything negative happen with them. They are number 1! (The Okanogan Sheriff is right in there with them on that scale!).

Yep have had nothing but positive encounters with WSP concerning OC. I even have a WSP evidence sticker on my gun I leave it there to remind me of the whole tragic situation and how professional they were.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for the comments everyone. I did go into this thinking the worst, so I was ready if something did happen. Boy scout motto, ‘always be prepared’.

When I left the Subway and noticed they were still hanging around 5 or 10 minutes after they walked out, I was expecting some sort of interaction. When the wife and I decided to finish our walk and walk directly past the patrol cars I expected them to jump out from behind a bush or car and start the questions. I was pleasantly surprised that they left a few moments after we walked by. The question in my mind is, if they were hanging out waiting for me to leave or if they were actually doing work sitting in the parking lot, one will never know. I would still have to give a good grade to WSP even though it felt like they were stalking me in the parking lot, I give an A-. A+ if they left immediately after they leave the store.

------------------

the most interesting thing I think is about this post is that you were OCing in the FUTURE!!! time traveling sidearms w00t!!! :lol:

Fixed :D

Jeff Hayes

Thank you for the comments everyone. I did go into this thinking the worst, so I was ready if something did happen. Boy scout motto, ‘always be prepared’.

When I left the Subway and noticed they were still hanging around 5 or 10 minutes after they walked out, I was expecting some sort of interaction. When the wife and I decided to finish our walk and walk directly past the patrol cars I expected them to jump out from behind a bush or car and start the questions. I was pleasantly surprised that they left a few moments after we walked by. The question in my mind is, if they were hanging out waiting for me to leave or if they were actually doing work sitting in the parking lot, one will never know. I would still have to give a good grade to WSP even though it felt like they were stalking me in the parking lot, I give an A-. A+ if they left immediately after they leave the store.

Slapmonkay In my book you get an A+ too, many would have not left the Subway until WSP was gone. This is exactly how OC should be. I would never expect any LEO to not notice, not to have a look, not to check me or you out, what I do expect is that if no laws are being broken we are left alone. That is exactly what happened to you, bravo for the WSP.

SovereignAxe

having met a couple Port of Seattle police in a ride-along, I would be willing to bet that they'd take issue with that statement ;)

Lovenox

I must admit that I never had any encounter with any LEO concerning OC. However, I have been pulled over by WSP and they are the most professional group of people I have ever met on the LEO side. *tips hat*

Wobbles

I saw a guy OCing at seatac on Sunday when I flew in. Would have stopped to ask if he was a member on OCDO but I had a football game to get to. No one there seemed to be giving him a second glance.

Thumbs up to WSP, I've never had a problem with the way they do business.