Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning shot, or not...

Warning shot, or not...

We all know once you’ve pulled the trigger, you own the bullet. In the holster it’s a pistol, pull it in self defense, it becomes a weapon. If you fire a warning shot have you admitted being in fear for your life, is it justified? If so, why wasn’t the weapon pointed at the source of the threat instead of being directed towards the unknown. Can you claim; beyond a doubt, the shot was safe, with out reckless disregard? Do you fire to wound and take a chance of missing or, take a safe shot at center mass? Always, so little time with so much to conceder. Just a thought, boar out.

I think using a firearm to "wound" could be construed as inhumane.

It should only be pulled from the holster to use deadly force as an absolute LAST resort. You shoot to stop a threat, you don't shoot to "wound" someone. When defending life, limb, or eyesight (and that of someone else) you don't aim at the legs or arms, you aim center mass to ensure you stop the threat. If it isn't a true threat then you don't use a firearm.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

If I am forced to pull mine out of the holster, I will be pulling through on the trigger instantly. There won't be any wasted ammo on warning shots.
    Gun Control Defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning or carrying a firearm.

If you're justified to fire a warning shot, you're justified to use deadly force. If you're not comfortable with the thought of taking a life to defend your own, I would recommend you not carry.

Most states will consider a "warning shot" a negligent or dangerous discharge and charge you for it regardless of the damage done/justification. Shooting to wound will often be considered malicious wounding. All legal issues I would not want to get tied into. If you're in fear for your life shoot center of mass until they stop, you stand the best chance of survival and the lowest chance of prosecution.

"If in danger shoot the stranger" - Instructor Yellow Cat, Utah CC Permit Class, 2011
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wild boar View Post
    We all know once you’ve pulled the trigger, you own the bullet. In the holster it’s a pistol, pull it in self defense, it becomes a weapon. If you fire a warning shot have you admitted being in fear for your life, is it justified? If so, why wasn’t the weapon pointed at the source of the threat instead of being directed towards the unknown. Can you claim; beyond a doubt, the shot was safe, with out reckless disregard? Do you fire to wound and take a chance of missing or, take a safe shot at center mass? Always, so little time with so much to conceder. Just a thought, boar out.
    If you are justified in drawing your weapon, then the threat to your life must be imminent. You should not have the luxury of firing a "warning" shot. By doing so you are demonstrating that the threat was not so imminent and there was not a need to "stop the threat".

I agree a warning shot is a bad idea. In the time that it takes to fire a warning shot your attacker could close the distance and make it a wrestling match.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Good Golly, Miss Molly! NOt a disagreement in the bunch!

But then this has been hashed out here and just about everywhere else that folks talk about self defense - regardless if they are in favor of or oppose the concept. And the answer has always been the same as what you are getting here.

So, tell us why you feel the need to gather the wisdom of the internet on this subject.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I would not. I'm sure some LEO and/or DA would try to nail you with "wreckless endangerment" or something like that.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

So, tell us why you feel the need to gather the wisdom of the internet on this subject.
    Everyone knows everything posted on the internet is true.

Plus I got to say "If in danger shoot the stranger".
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

McX
    this matter is situational. depends upon the situation. i as a rule dont give warnings. if time and opportunity are there, and i am condition 3, pulling, racking the slide, and going to the low position on the firearm is all the warning i would offer, along with a hand extended, and the verbal command to halt. if no time is allowed, pull, and fire. there are no right answers unfortunately.

Warning shots for what??
    Do you want to warn the assailant that your aware of them committing a crime?
    Are you saying you would like the give them a "fare chance" to shoot you back?
    Do the though of pulling your weapon and demanding them to the ground no come to mind?
    Warning shots are a mistake when crime is in process.
    Pull your weapon and make your demands, if the assailant fails to comply then I see no reason to "warn" them.

I would have to concider the 1st shot to the chest the warning shot. anything after that the I told you so shot...
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    I would have to concider the 1st shot to the chest the warning shot. anything after that the I told you so shot...
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Warning shots are NEVER a good idea. No matter what the situation is. Never mind the legal ramifications. It's the law of physics. What goes up must come down. That "warning shot" will come down at almost nearly the velocity it was shot. Who knows where it will land. It could hit the person who fired it in the first place. Way to go smart one, you shot yourself instead of the badguy. Warning shots also take to much time.

NEVER shoot to injure. You are not shooting to injure or kill. You are shooting to stop the threat. Once they are no longer a threat, you stop shooting. If they live, then good you didn't kill someone. If they die oh well, at least you're not dead. Also not everyone who owns or shoots a weapon is a expert marksman. Add adrenaline to the factor and you still think you can shoot them in the leg or arm? Shoot center of the biggest target area. It increases you chances of landing your shots and making sure you're coming out alive. This ain't the movies.

That's all I have to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Guess View Post
    If I am forced to pull mine out of the holster, I will be pulling through on the trigger instantly.
    Well, I hope not. There could be circumstances when having your gun in your hand is a good idea while you're assessing the situation. But it could turn out to be a "no shoot". Otherwise there will be a lot of dead or injured innocent people, cats who knock over a lamp, and unnecessary holes in somebody's wall. The "be sure of your target" rule may not apply as strictly during a military engagement, but for the rest of the world, it does.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

No warning shot... If there was time I would make sure a VERY LOUD warning shouted vocally (borderline scream) would be cause for pause for the BG... thus giving me an opening..... Or not... either way... No warning shot.

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Warning shots

Warning shots are not a black and white situation. Like everything related to carrying and using a gun, there are pros and cons, compromises and tradeoffs. On the whole, I'd say warning shots are not recommended, but they do have potential benefits also.

On the plus side, a warning shot:

1) Could stop a person's aggression without having to punch a hole into their body.
    2) Could serve to get another person's attention.
    3) Could "buy time" in a situation

On the negative side, a warning shot:

1) Could hit an innocent person, if not placed properly.
    2) Could hit the attacker when you did not intend to hit him or her, if not placed properly.
    3) May cause another person to shoot unjustifiably.
    4) May cause property damage.
    5) Definitely will leave you with less ammunition. (e.g., leave you with 5-shots in a 6-shot required situation)
    A. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    Warning shots are NEVER a good idea. No matter what the situation is. Never mind the legal ramifications. It's the law of physics. What goes up must come down. That "warning shot" will come down at almost nearly the velocity it was shot. Who knows where it will land. It could hit the person who fired it in the first place. Way to go smart one, you shot yourself instead of the badguy. Warning shots also take to much time.

NEVER shoot to injure. You are not shooting to injure or kill. You are shooting to stop the threat. Once they are no longer a threat, you stop shooting. If they live, then good you didn't kill someone. If they die oh well, at least you're not dead. Also not everyone who owns or shoots a weapon is a expert marksman. Add adrenaline to the factor and you still think you can shoot them in the leg or arm? Shoot center of the biggest target area. It increases you chances of landing your shots and making sure you're coming out alive. This ain't the movies.

That's all I have to say about this.
    I came in here to post this. Why do you think the odds are that you'll have a good backstop into which you could fire a warning shot? You could waste precious seconds trying to figure out a place to fire your stray round when the only good place to fire is into the baddie.

Either shoot the baddie or don't shoot at all.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I came in here to post this. Why do you think the odds are that you'll have a good backstop into which you could fire a warning shot? You could waste precious seconds trying to figure out a place to fire your stray round when the only good place to fire is into the baddie.

Either shoot the baddie or don't shoot at all.
    Why do you assume you'll have a good backstop when you're firing at "the baddie?" Do you assume that all of the rounds that you fire will hit the bad guy and furthermore, that none of them will pass straight through him? Based on the empirical evidence of thousands upon thousands of shootings, none of these assumptions appear to be reasonable.

Even when you're firing "into the baddie" it is better if one has awareness of what or who is in the vicinity behind "the baddie." It is not unreasonable to surmise that this requires approximately the same amount of thought and time as choosing a spot to place a warning shot. If it is taking "precious seconds" to figure it out, maybe one should consider the possibility that one is too slow, mentally, to be carrying a firearm for defense. In a gunfight, the critical decisions and actions are likely to be measured in fractions of a second. (Although thanks to the psychological phenomenon known as "time dilation" it may seem like it took much longer.)
    A. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Well, I hope not. There could be circumstances when having your gun in your hand is a good idea while you're assessing the situation. But it could turn out to be a "no shoot".
    :thumbsup:

I wish OCDO had a LIKE or THANKS button like some other forums to.

I wish everyone was 10th level Gunkata or more. And Obama distributed rainbows and unicorns and smiles like he promised.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

never shoot to wound...shoot to stop the threat.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Why do you assume you'll have a good backstop when you're firing at "the baddie?" Do you assume that all of the rounds that you fire will hit the bad guy and furthermore, that none of them will pass straight through him? Based on the empirical evidence of thousands upon thousands of shootings, none of these assumptions appear to be reasonable.

Even when you're firing "into the baddie" it is better if one has awareness of what or who is in the vicinity behind "the baddie." It is not unreasonable to surmise that this requires approximately the same amount of thought and time as choosing a spot to place a warning shot. If it is taking "precious seconds" to figure it out, maybe one should consider the possibility that one is too slow, mentally, to be carrying a firearm for defense. In a gunfight, the critical decisions and actions are likely to be measured in fractions of a second. (Although thanks to the psychological phenomenon known as "time dilation" it may seem like it took much longer.)
    all valid points.

I guess I should have pointed out that, while you could quickly surmise the safety of the background to your target (the baddie), taking your attention away from the baddie to try and figure out an appropriate backstop for which to fire a round, not fired in battle, would seem to me to be a waste of time.

I think you'd have a tough time explaining the destruction of property from your warning shot when, after it's all over, it turns out you didn't have to shoot in the first place. IMO, you should either not shoot at all, or shoot knowing that any stray rounds may hit an unintended object, but that as long as they landed in a relatively safe place you'll likely be forgiven once the gravity of your situation is learned.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    all valid points.

I guess I should have pointed out that, while you could quickly surmise the safety of the background to your target (the baddie), taking your attention away from the baddie to try and figure out an appropriate backstop for which to fire a round, not fired in battle, would seem to me to be a waste of time.

I think you'd have a tough time explaining the destruction of property from your warning shot when, after it's all over, it turns out you didn't have to shoot in the first place. IMO, you should either not shoot at all, or shoot knowing that any stray rounds may hit an unintended object, but that as long as they landed in a relatively safe place you'll likely be forgiven once the gravity of your situation is learned.
    This is why only serious practitioners of Gunkata should be allowed to own firearms. A level 10 Gunkata does not even need a firearm by the way. A level 10 can dispense rounds simply by throwing them. A level 10 Gunkata does not concern themselves with what is behind the target. Because the level 10 Gunkata IS behind the target. All rounds let out by Gunkatas land in a relatively safe place. The target's body. Higher level Gunkatas understand the gravity in any situation. Although the laws of gravity do not apply as Gunkatas can fly using their minds.

Gunkata. It's not just a myth.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-26-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast