• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Hartford - 2.5 months and no permit

Asterus

Founder's Club Member
I had a student of mine apply to West Hartford about 2.5 months ago. He called me asking what to do because when he called the police department they told him that it takes about 14 weeks due to the FBI background check. I had students in the same class which had a much faster turnaround time in their towns. It had been posted before, but I can't seem to find what he should do next. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Rich B

The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeksafter receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant.(a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one weekafter receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application. If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Public Safety or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.
(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeksafter receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

I would get inquisitive with the PD and find out what stage the application is at. Have the fingerprints been sent to DPS? If they are waiting on DPS, call DPS, inquire about what is taking so long. The NICS check certainly should not be taking this long at all.

Get the names of everyone and the dates of everything all recorded. If the dates meet the statutory requirements, you should be able to appeal to the BFPE.

brk913

Basically what Rich said start building and documenting your paperwork trail and file an appeal with the Board, I have had students call the DPS SLFU and inquire as to whether their background check had been returned to the town, some had luck getting an answer others got the runaround so I guess it depends on who answers the phone if you will be able to get that information but you can always check and see when your checks were cashed. I am surprised hearing this about West Hartford, I have had numerous students from there who recieved their permit within the 8 weeks, in fact I just had one who told me a few weeks ago it took him 7 weeks.

Last edited:

KIX

It's all BS. I'm hearing of people getting their local permits in less than 4 weeks in some areas.

It's a stall tactic.

Contact the BFPE, get the questionnaire filled out and file for an appeal. You'd be AMAZED at how fast the NICS check comes back many a time.

Jonathan

KIX

Just checked with the feds, they won't give a straight answer on the issue.

They said up to 8 weeks if there are no holdups. Holdups would be if the person was out of the country for a period of time, married and changed name, changed name for any other reason, etc.

I inquired about some people getting things done quicker, no response.

They have "brokers" where they can expedite you for a fee, but I'm not even going to get close to touching that topic.

Jonathan

Tazman2

Took me 4 months when I lived in West Hartford and already managed to move before even getting it. I don't recall the details at the moment but basically after my finger prints were denied by the DPS the WHPD sat on it for a additional month before calling me back to tell me that they were denied and needed to be redone. Nice town!

H8Rain

It's just simple local police dragging their feet. After I applied for my Hamden Permit I waited until the 8th week and then I called them and asked what the status was of my permit. They gave me some BS story about how either the background checks are back logged and it could take 12-14 weeks. So I called the DPS and they actually laughed and said there is no back-log. They said they usually turn everything around in 2-4 weeks max. I very nicely called Hamden PD back and told them about my conversation with DPS. I told HPD that since 8 weeks had passed I assumed my Permit was declined, so I was filing an appeal. HPD point blank (and with quite the attitude) said I have do idea what I'm talking about and that if I file an appeal it could take 6 months to a year until I saw my permit. So I filed the appeal. 2 days later HPD called and told me my permit was ready.

The bottom line is it's a ******* battle, which is very sad. I just hope I never have an encounter with the HPD while I'm carrying because I'm quite certain it will not go well.

Good Luck!

mrjam2jab

In this age of computers there is not reason why all permit issuance can't be done on the spot. As mentioned, this is just PD dragging their feet. The law gives them a certain time period...it doesn't say 8 weeks + FBI time. By 8th week they must issue or deny..and since they have no reason to deny they must issue.

KIX

Took me 4 months when I lived in West Hartford and already managed to move before even getting it. I don't recall the details at the moment but basically after my finger prints were denied by the DPS the WHPD sat on it for a additional month before calling me back to tell me that they were denied and needed to be redone. Nice town!

I'm getting reports of Meriden doing the same thing.

Interesting, they wait 8 weeks to tell you, which means, they sat on 'em the entire time.

Also interesting, the two cases in Meriden I'm familiar with - both females. So, if you can't get two, compliant females to give you fingerprints - what do you do when a fat bastard like myself doesn't comply???

The lunacy.

Jonathan

Asterus

Founder's Club Member
What happens when you file an appeal? Does the town get a phone call or a letter from the BFPE? It seems a lot of the time when appeals are made because the town is dragging their feet it is rectified quickly after an appeal is sent in.

KIX

Yes.

Both you and the town will get a packet of paperwork to fill out (nothing heavy). By then, the town is, of course, notified.

Often they stop dragging their feet rather than fill out the paperwork (since you're temporary permit is only the size of a larger post-it note - less paperwork).

Jonathan

KIX

Come to think of it, did you sign that ridiculous paperwork that West Hartford wants you to fill out.

That release paperwork is insane.

Jonathan

Tazman2

Come to think of it, did you sign that ridiculous paperwork that West Hartford wants you to fill out.

Jonathan

I just checked and it seems I got my permit in March of 2008 and I don't recall that much paper work. A few pages yes but. Is it worse now!? lol

brk913

Jonathan

I have a student applying right now in West Hartford and he did not want to supply anything other than the required documentation. I provided him with a copy of the BOFPE Declaratory Ruling and this was from his email that he sent me today:

"I spoke with the dept to said up my interview. When I told them I preferred to sign the Blue form but not the added WH forms, the officer asked me "what was my reason". When I mentioned the "Declaratory Ruling" the officer paused and then said I did not have to fill out the information but that the interview would take a lot longer.
I told her "no problem". Thanks for ur help."