• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting MO

TyGuy

Good afternoon,

I will be visiting MO for a job interview in a few weeks. I do see that MO will honor my non-resident Utah permit, but I wanted to know the overview of concealed carry laws in MO. I know that this is OC.org, but I was hoping someone could help me with the CCW laws.

Things I am most interested in:

duty to inform LEOs

transportation in vehicle

GFZ posting requirements

off limit locations that don't need to be posted

Thanks!

-Ty

kcgunfan

Good afternoon,

I will be visiting MO for a job interview in a few weeks. I do see that MO will honor my non-resident Utah permit, but I wanted to know the overview of concealed carry laws in MO. I know that this is OC.org, but I was hoping someone could help me with the CCW laws.

duty to inform LEOs

GFZ posting requirements

Thanks!

-Ty

The CCW don'ts are here: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5710000107.htm Basically, there is nothing off limit, except federal facilities. But, if you are asked to leave it would be a really good idea to do so. If the LEO's are called, you can be hit with a hefty fine.

You are not obligated to inform

You may carry in your car as much as you like, if you are over 21 and it's a handgun: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5710000030.htm Section 3.

No GFZ posting requirements, watch your step.

There's really no off limit locations (except federal), but I'd definitely obey any signs.

mspgunner

MO gun law

Good afternoon,

duty to inform LEOs

GFZ posting requirements

Thanks!

-Ty

You can read the LAW... but this is easier:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

TyGuy

Great, thanks.

I am not sure about carrying into a restraunt that serves alcohol, as we will be eating out while there. Could anyone clear that up for me?

I won't ask about knives. Knives are usually regulated at the county/municipal level so it's too hard to try and codify all the knife laws.

kcgunfan

Don't get anyone started on knives in the state of Missouri. It is super convoluted, and I'm not even sure the lawyers understand all of the nuances.

There is a 51% rule, if the restaurant gets more than 51% of its revenue from alcohol sales, then you are not authorized to have a concealed firearm there. There is no posting requirement, but it should be obvious if people are there to drink or eat. Even places like Applebee's get a lot more revenue from food than alcohol.

You may think it's odd that nobody is up in arms about no posting requirement, and that people aren't being arrested left and right for violating the law. But, the MO laws on CC were written very cleverly. If you take your firearm to the hypothetical bar above, you are not authorized to have a weapon there. What's the penalty for this? Absolutely nothing. That right, you have done nothing illegal. Furthermore, let's say that the place is posted for No Firearms, and you CC there. What's the penalty for this? You've got it, absolutely nothing. Let's say that you are then asked to leave and you refuse to do so (don't do that), you still are not in trouble. The trouble doesn't start until you are asked to leave, refuse to leave, LEO are summoned, and show up. At that point, you have violated the law (but not criminally), and you get a civil penalty of $100. And, you're likely to get trespassed as well. If you continue to make poor choices, the penalty goes up.

Great, thanks.

I am not sure about carrying into a restraunt that serves alcohol, as we will be eating out while there. Could anyone clear that up for me?

I won't ask about knives. Knives are usually regulated at the county/municipal level so it's too hard to try and codify all the knife laws.

Superlite27

You are pretty much a free citizen to go where you wish here in Missouri.

Your firearm is pretty much O.K. everywhere except for federal buildings.

ANY restaurant is fine as long as it is a RESTAURANT and not a BAR. This is determined by alcohol sales volume. If the establishment is a bar, its sales will consist of over 51% alcohol. If it is a restaurant, its sales will be over 51% food. So, if you consider it to be a restaurant, chances are their sales is primarily from food, therefore, you're good to go.

It doesn't really matter anyway. If it turns out to really be a bar, they can only ask you to leave. The problem is, if you refuse to do so, you may be charged with trespassing.

Unlike many other states, signage is not a concern either.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO COMPLETELY IGNORE "NO GUNS" SIGNS. (Known colloquially here as "gun busters"). "NO FIREARMS" signage carries no weight in law. If you see one on a door, you can pretty much think to yourself, "Kiss my ass!" and walk right on in, anyway. However, as with any other private business, you can be asked to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing. (On another note: Even though it carries no weight in law, why would you give a business that doesn't support you any money, anyway? I choose not to go in posted businesses. That way we're both happy: They don't have a lawfully armed citizen inside, and I don't support their business with my money. Plus, it's safer. Why would I go into a place that criminals believe is full of defenseless victims?)

TyGuy

LOL to the "kiss my ass" comment.

Thank you all so much. I don't plan on being on any school grounds, but I would guess that the federal GFSZ laws still apply in MO?

I would OC, but I know that is more regulated by municipalities, and as I am going through the state I don't want to worry about every location that I stop in. If I end up moving to MO then I will become familar with the OC law and start to OC. I OC up in Wisconsin (I'm from the crap hole of gun rights known as Illinois), and I prefer it to CC.

This isn't to start a OC versus CC debate, I just prefer OCing usually.

Thanks again!

kcgunfan

Superlite, I would amend your second sentence to change firearm to concealed firearm.

The open carry of a firearm can be and is regulated by political subdivisions (cities and counties) and these typically have criminal sanctions.

You are pretty much a free citizen to go where you wish here in Missouri.

Your firearm is pretty much O.K. everywhere except for federal buildings.

ANY restaurant is fine as long as it is a RESTAURANT and not a BAR. This is determined by alcohol sales volume. If the establishment is a bar, its sales will consist of over 51% alcohol. If it is a restaurant, its sales will be over 51% food. So, if you consider it to be a restaurant, chances are their sales is primarily from food, therefore, you're good to go.

It doesn't really matter anyway. If it turns out to really be a bar, they can only ask you to leave. The problem is, if you refuse to do so, you may be charged with trespassing.

Unlike many other states, signage is not a concern either.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO COMPLETELY IGNORE "NO GUNS" SIGNS. (Known colloquially here as "gun busters"). "NO FIREARMS" signage carries no weight in law. If you see one on a door, you can pretty much think to yourself, "Kiss my ass!" and walk right on in, anyway. However, as with any other private business, you can be asked to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing. (On another note: Even though it carries no weight in law, why would you give a business that doesn't support you any money, anyway? I choose not to go in posted businesses. That way we're both happy: They don't have a lawfully armed citizen inside, and I don't support their business with my money. Plus, it's safer. Why would I go into a place that criminals believe is full of defenseless victims?)

kcgunfan

The federal FGSZ laws apply. You would need a MO permit for them not to apply.

I usually say that 95% of Missouri is fine with OC, and you get an extra 2-3% with a CCW endorsement. The trick is to know which places do not allow it. I would just CC if here on a visit.

LOL to the "kiss my ass" comment.

Thank you all so much. I don't plan on being on any school grounds, but I would guess that the federal GFSZ laws still apply in MO?

I would OC, but I know that is more regulated by municipalities, and as I am going through the state I don't want to worry about every location that I stop in. If I end up moving to MO then I will become familar with the OC law and start to OC. I OC up in Wisconsin (I'm from the crap hole of gun rights known as Illinois), and I prefer it to CC.

This isn't to start a OC versus CC debate, I just prefer OCing usually.

Thanks again!

Freedom 1st

Remember that you could be charged under federal law in a school zone, also. The GFSZ act only exempts those with CCW permit if it is issued from their home state and you are in that state. A Utah resident with a Utah permit could be charged according to GFSZ laws. Only a Missouri resident with a Missouri permit would be exempt in Missouri.

The best thing to remember is concealed means concealed. Follow that rule and you'll do fine.

We welcome you to Missouri.

TyGuy

I'm not planning on being in any school zones, but I wanted to ask anyway.

I also don't plan on OCing during this visit, but if I end up moving to MO then I will OC as much as I can.

BTW - what are the summers like near Columbia?

Oramac

More a question to those posting trying to help here, but where exactly do you find the 51% bar/restaurant law? I've read the MO statutes many times and dont ever remember seeing that this is anything more than what is covered in RSMO 571.107, Sections 1 and 2.

As the 51% rule is number 7 of the (1) to (17) listed in Sec. 2, it is basically irrelevant to mention it as illegal. Drinking while carrying is, of course, stupid. But carrying in a bar or restaurant isn't illegal.

lordmorpheus

Summers near Columbia range from mild 70-80* to 90+* with varying humidity. I have lived in Columbia since 1996, and am used to the seasonal changes. Winters can get to negative numbers with wind chill, and summers to triple digits with heat index.

In regards to OC, Columbia has been without incident (other than one casual conversation I didn't initiate with a cop I hadn't talked to previously (of my own volition) ). I moved here from St Louis, and it is nice to be able to OC anywhere in this city without incident, whereas, given the same geographical size in St Louis, I would have countless city ordinances to memorise.

TyGuy

From what I gather OC in MO is kinda touchy. Each municipality can restrict or even criminalize it. Is this true?

kcgunfan

From what I gather OC in MO is kinda touchy. Each municipality can restrict or even criminalize it. Is this true?

It's not just municipality, but also county. You've got to do quite a bit of research.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to MO.

Summers aint too bad unless you figure in the last one where july and aug were 100 degree months!

Hot humid, but bearable.

On the kiss my ass comment, I suggest it slightly different myself. You put the gun sign up, kiss my ass, you don think my money is good enough, I damn sure won't give it to you and walk away.

Might be kind of hard for the new person not knowing alternatives. It will not be a huge issue in the columbia area, you should not see a bunch of em.

TyGuy

Any suggetions for things my family should check out while in Columbia? Good parks, museums, restraunts, etc....?

lordmorpheus

http://www.visitcolumbiamo.com/web/things_to_do/family_fun.php gives a pretty good list of things to do in Columbia. While most of the places on the list are worthwhile, I would not advise "Columbia Police Department". Why they have THAT on the list of fun things to do is beyond me!

City parks are off limits to OC as per Sec. 17-98. Hunting; carrying and use of weapons.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person in a park to use, carry or possess firearms of any description,
or air rifles, spring-guns, bow and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially inimical to wildlife
and dangerous to human safety, or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges, or any kind
of trapping device. It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot into park areas from beyond the park boundaries.
(b)
This section shall not prohibit any person in a park from carrying a concealed firearm if the
person has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued by the Missouri director of revenue under Section
571.094 RSMo or has a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms, issued by another state or
political subdivision of another state.

TyGuy

BUMP

Any really good restraunts that my family and I should try while there?