• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Raeford/ Fayetteville OC laws

proudgunowner

Hey, I just bought a handgun and started to OC, so far I have only been in places like Wal-Mart and Food Lion. I was wondering where else am I allowed to OC, I can never get a straight answer from people I ask around town. And if any one knows a decent place to get my CCL it would be very helpful, so far the best place I have found is Jim's Pawn Shop on Yakin Rd.

Thanks,
David

bc.cruiser

First, David, welcome to the ranks of gun owners and carriers in Fayetteville.
This link which is to the NC flyer will answer many questions; https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...8GsidedFW0hEOWh_wflvT7tpEVdnqbUfjnl_dbj&hl=en. Check the first sticky about the flyer.

Next, get real familiar with the NC general statutes Chapter 14 Articles 35, 36B, 52A-54B.
Now get yourself a small voice recorder and keep it on anytime you carry. If nothing happens, erase and get ready for next time.

If you act like carrying is no big deal, then mostly it won't be. The default condition is that if it is not specifically restricted/prohibited, then it is OK. For carry in the gamelands or at NC Wildlife boat ramps, etc., you'll have to check their sites.

Remember to stay out of places that sell and serve alcohol for on premises consumption.
Jim's is a good place to get your CHP certificate (please get the term correct) although there are others that are cheaper and give the same training.
Just keep asking questions here; you'll get answers.

Last edited:

cricketdad

Hey, I just bought a handgun and started to OC, so far I have only been in places like Wal-Mart and Food Lion. I was wondering where else am I allowed to OC, I can never get a straight answer from people I ask around town. And if any one knows a decent place to get my CCL it would be very helpful, so far the best place I have found is Jim's Pawn Shop on Yakin Rd.

Thanks,
David

www.ProTac.us

Much better

If you make it to the Fayetteville gun show Sunday go to the GRNC table and ask for Charles. Would love to meet you.

Dreamer

Generally, the places that are prohibited for CC in NC are actually prohibited for ALL forms of carry due to the wording of the law. This includes courts, jails, establishments that charge admission, establishments that serve alcohol, and places that are posted. The one exception is banks, where CC is illegal but OC is totally legal (unless the bank is posted against ALL carry of firearms)

Download the flyer. It's a GREAT resource. I carry half a dozen in my car ALL the time, so I have extras to hand out to people.

I've carried extensively in Fayetteville. I have in-laws that live there, and we visit them several times a year, and I usually OC anytime I go out of their house (I usually CC in the house, so as hot to freak out the mother-in law.)

Note that the big mall (Cross Creek, I think) is posted. And I believe the hospital (Cape Fear) is posted too.

I've never had an issue in Fayetteville, and I usually carry a full-size stainless Para Ordnance P-14.45 with rosewood grips in a tan Serpa--it's not subtle.

Know the law. Know Your Rights. Don't patronize establishments that don't respect your RKBA.

Carry on...

proudgunowner

Thanks for the replies they really cleared up a lot of things I about OC that I was not aware of. I been OCing my M&P .40c and so far only got a couple stares but thats all.

@cricketdad I plan on going to the gun show and I will make sure to stop by to say hi.

Lutzswife

New gun owner

I too just purchased my first handgun and glad I found this thread. Thanks for all the info. Went to the gun show this weekend and purchased there. Just want to be clear on what the laws were on OC. Thanks for clarifying. Where is the best range locally?