• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sent an Email today...

Yance

I emailed Binder Park Zoo today in reagards to their no weapons policy. Yes they are a private property, but that doesnt mean they cant change their minds with the right pursuasian. I'll probably get flak from some for it but hey if you never try things will never change. The worst thing we can do is accept things the way they are.

Heres the email I sent.

To whom it may concern/ Board of Directors,

I understand that your facility, though open to the public, has a policy that prohibits the possession of firearms on the property while attending the zoo due to it being a family and family friendly facility. This email is not meant to frighten anyone but rather to show you how your policy regarding the possession of firearms is only providing a false sense of protection to the patrons at your facility. As you may, or may not, have heard there was a recent shooting in Carson City, NV at a local Ihop, this Ihop much like your facility, had a no weapons policy because they were a family and family friendly facility and believed that the possession of firearms by patrons was not necessary. The shooting left 4 people dead including the assailant and left several wounded. I have included the link to the news story if you wish to read about the incident. This Ihop did not feel the need to allow law abiding citizens to carry a firearm for self defense, who carry in the event of a situation such as this, so the facility barred the possession of weapons on their premises. For citizens of Michigan, such as myself, we pass a State background check as well as a Federal background check to verify we can legally possess a firearm, which includes carrying that firearm for personal protection. By barring the legal possession of firearms on your premises you in fact put those very lives you seek to protect in danger because a criminal or someone mentally ill, such as the suspect in the previously mentioned shooting, will not obey a no weapons sign or policy. The only people that do obey no weapons policies are the law abiding citizens, the same citizens authorized by the State and Federal government to carry a firearm and in the end they are left with no way to protect themselves in the event of a life threatening situation such as this. The story I speak of is a real life situation that can happen anywhere across the country to anyone and it happened only a matter of weeks ago. Carrying a firearm is being more and more accepted by society and more people are beginning to carry firearms for personal protection. Citizens that do carry a firearm legally, as is allowed in Michigan, are very safe individuals and are of the most responsible citizens here in Michigan and by denying them the right to carry that firearm, a right that is given by the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution and also granted in Article 1 Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, you make them possible victims of a very unfortunate event such as the shooting at that Ihop. It was a family facility such as yours, the unfortunate part of this though is that no one had a way to protect their family from a very evil individual because the owners of the facility, believing the possession of firearms by law abiding citizens was not necessary, barred firearms on the premises. A policy such as yours only disarms citizens who are allowed by the State of Michigan and the Federal government to possess firearms, it however does nothing to disarm a criminal or someone who is mentally ill and wishes to do harm. I am asking that you review your firearms policy and make the appropriate changes to allow law abiding citizens who legally carry firearms to carry those firearms on the premises as permitted by law, I am willing to discuss this policy and any changes with you that may help to further acceptance of carrying firearms as well as keeping your patrons safe and able to defend themselves in the event of a life threatening situation. Please feel free to contact me by phone or email.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/06/national/main20102084.shtml

Thank you,

Adam Yancer

SovereignAxe

Hopefully you'll get something other than the generic "we appreciate your concern and thank you for writing to us" response. I'll be interested to see what it is.

Yance

Me too, when I emailed them asking what their policy was they responded saying that they have declared it to be a weapons free facility. That was about all I got from them.

fozzy71

That is a really big paragraph. :shocker:

Not trying to be rude, but if I see a block of text like that I won't even bother to read it, unless I am on the clock and it is from a customer I get paid to help. Hopefully the recipient get's paid to read it, because I didn't. :D

Yance

haha I wrote it as an email so I didnt even think about it. However the other email I sent to the AG on a separate matter is paragraphed out nicely.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Me too, when I emailed them asking what their policy was they responded saying that they have declared it to be a weapons free facility. That was about all I got from them.

What a noob mistake!
You probably just created your own problem, and a problem for other OCers.
NEVER ASK a business what their policy about GUNs is!!
They responded to your query about guns, by Deciding that they Needed a NO GUNS POLICY!

PDinDetroit

What a noob mistake!
You probably just created your own problem, and a problem for other OCers.
NEVER ASK a business what their policy about GUNs is!!
They responded to your query about guns, by Deciding that they Needed a NO GUNS POLICY!

The Binder Park Zoo has been known for awhile for No Guns Allowed Facility. The OP did nothing wrong here.

Yance

Actually it was in response to another poster in another thread stating he was asked to leave for having his firearm and was presented with a "policy" print out. I emailed them regarding the situation and they stated they had a no weapons policy and a sign that stated so at the entrance. It was already in place, my email did nothing for it. If anything you could say the poster who had the original problem is the reason theres a policy now. You cant prove my email caused a no weapons policy any more than you can prove there wasnt a policy before the gentleman I referred to carried his firearm at the zoo.

PDinDetroit

Actually it was in response to another poster in another thread stating he was asked to leave for having his firearm and was presented with a "policy" print out. I emailed them regarding the situation and they stated they had a no weapons policy and a sign that stated so at the entrance. It was already in place, my email did nothing for it. If anything you could say the poster who had the original problem is the reason theres a policy now. You cant prove my email caused a no weapons policy any more than you can prove there wasnt a policy before the gentleman I referred to carried his firearm at the zoo.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drive-by posting. The Binder Park Zoo has been posted about multiple times, IIRC the first posting about it was back in 2009 and they had the signs then.

budlight

For places like this, you are probably not going to get anywhere by reasoning with management. I will only go somewhere that has this mentality if it is an absolute must. In those cases simply CC. Signs are not always visible or in the proper places. If a situation arises where you need to use your weapon, who is to say that you actually saw the sign??? Did a representative personally tell you that weapons were banned from the premises? I don’t want to get into some huge debate here, I’m just pointing out that signs can be missed…..ie, is there a sign on each and every door/entrance, was a large person blocking it’s view, etc? There are some shopping malls that have signs on the entrance doors or off to the side banning firearms, but yet if you go through another set of doors for a major retailer (Macys, JCPenny, Best Buy) there are no signs on them or the path from that store into the mall. I am simply pointing out that there is probably loop holes in this.

mastiff69

Do not CC their,
they do NOT want you or your MONEY,
spend it elsewhere, say a weapons Welcome ZONE !!!

I used to go their every year wife loves to feed the loonngg necked ones graham crackers

I do not, will not support any place that does not support, or stay neutral, when it comes to my Rights...
Just a thought to ponder ......

dragongtr

My sister used to be a zoo keeper their. Unless you are emailing about giving them money they won't respond.

Hell unless you are talking about big money they won't respond. I offered to take some really high end photos and put together alot of promotional stuff for them (when I was still doing photography before taking a haitus to go back to school), no response.