• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a statute mandating a certain distance from houses when shooting?

dcmdon

Hi all. I realize this isn't germane to OC but the people in this forum know CT law better than on any other gun forum.

The Killingly situation got me searching. I was sure that the state law was 500 ft.
I even recited the text of the CGS to a friend:
500 ft from buildings containing people, livestock or hazardous materials, unless you are hunting in a tidal area, then its 250.

The person then pointed out that I was quoting hunting regs, not shooting regs.

Well, I've been looking around all I can and can't find a single statute that limits the distance homes you need to be to shoot.

Any input is appreciated. I can't find anything.

I'm starting to think that there might not be any law requiring any specific distance when shooting.

Don

Last edited:

dcmdon

Thanks. There is actually language in the statutes re safety. But I can't find it because I lost all my CT statute shortcuts.

brk913

This is the statute you are looking for: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-203.htm

Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms. Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.

(1949 Rev., S. 8521; P.A. 73-457.)

History: P.A. 73-457 essentially rewrote provisions, which previously prohibited discharging firearms "in any city or borough, except on military occasions, without permission first obtained from the mayor of such city or the warden of such borough" and which had imposed fine for firing cannon without permit applicable to proprietors or persons in charge of private military schools, to forbid discharging firearm so as to harm persons, domestic animals or property and to increase maximum fine from $7 to $250 and maximum imprisonment from 30 days to 3 months.

Cited. 169 C. 309. Cited. 186 C. 574. Cited. 197 C. 602. Cited. 215 C. 739. Cited. 219 C. 363. Cited. 226 C. 497.

Cited. 24 CA 408.

Cited. 39 CS 359.

brk913

I should add, many cities and towns have their own disharge of firearms rules in their town ordinances. I found Newington's rather interesting as it did not provide lawful self defense as an exemption.

http://www.ecode360.com/8835193

Chapter 231. FIREARMS

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Newington as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]

Article I. Air Guns and Rifles

[Adopted 5-5-1960 (§ 9-2 of the 1974 Code)]

§ 231-1. Sale and discharge prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer or expose for sale or to discharge in the Town any air gun, air rifle or similar device in which the explosive or impelling force is compressed or condensed air or gas.

§ 231-2. Exceptions.

Nothing in this article shall be construed to limit, except as already limited by ordinance or statute, the sale or use of a firearm.

Article II. Discharge of Firearms

[Adopted 11-27-1961 (§ 9-3 of the 1974 Code)]

§ 231-3. Discharging prohibited.

No person shall discharge firearms within the territorial limits of the Town.

§ 231-4. Exceptions.

The provisions of this article shall not apply to any person discharging any firearm under the supervision of or with the written permission of the Town Police Department on an established target range or any indoor range and shall not apply to landowners using firearms when in the act of protecting their property from destructive animals.

Freiheit417

(snip)

§ 231-4. Exceptions.

The provisions of this article shall not apply to any person discharging any firearm under the supervision of or with the written permission of the Town Police Department on an established target range or any indoor range and shall not apply to landowners using firearms when in the act of protecting their property from destructive animals.

I would argue that home-invaders and the like would be considered "destructive animals." ;)

dcmdon

Then there is that whole pesky, CT constitution thing.

Article 1 Sec 15
Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

If only our federal 2a was so unambiguous

KIX

All the rules of Darwinism do still apply!

Town ordinances are often written by people with ZERO experience with firearms. Funny as hell (yet sad for us at the same time) to read some ordinance legislation.

Still love the only "legal" way to carry in New Britain is to open carry. Though after reading the OLR report, I doubt anyone would be prosecuted for concealed carry.

Jonathan

dcmdon

Thanks for your help. I was able to confirm my town does not have any firearms ordinances.
So I'm just bound by 53-203.

Don

Last edited:

dcmdon

Ha. Be sure to bring your belt fed stuff.

Actually, I'm only on .4 acres of flat land. No good backstops.

But I"ve got a couple of pellet gun traps from walmart. I'm sure those will work fine if we shoot in my barn.

Don