Thread: CT to WV move how do the firearm laws compare?

CT to WV move how do the firearm laws compare?

Originally I wanted to move down to Georgia but seeing my Fiance will be happier family and work wise in WV it might be as close as I get for now. So just curious how the laws compare to my current state of Connecticut!? I guess I saw you guys have a concealed weapons permit and OC is a toss up much like CT as far as police arresting you, etc. Thanks for any insight!

The difference between WV and CT with regards to firearms is like night and day.

For CC permits, CT is "May Issue", and WV is "Shall Issue"

For OC, CT requires a permit, WV does not.

For vehicle transport while loaded and accessible, CT forbids it, in WV, as long as it is in plain view (or if you have a CC permit) it's OK.

Generally, WV is pretty good with OC and CC permits are easy to get if you have a clean record.

CT, being a "May Issue" state, means that in many jurisdictions it's a "WWW" issuance policy--if you're not Wealthy, White, and Well-connected, you can't carry.

I was born and raised in the Mountain State, and lived there for 22 years. It's a beautiful state, the people are nice and polite (much more "southern" than Maryland or most of Northern VA), and most of the LEOs are pretty respectful of OC and CC (with a few exceptions in Charleston, Martinsburg and Wheeling). Cost of living is low, property sales and income taxes are about average, and if you like nature, WV is a spectacular place--everything from cranberry bogs to granite cliffs, from dairy farms to Class 3+ whitewater rapids, from big cities to nearly pristine wilderness.

I have family that lives in WV, and visit several times a year. I always OC, and have never once had a problem in the 3+ years I've been actively OCing. I always OC in the big Cabelas near Wheeling when I visit my sister, and have OCed in restaurants, shopping centers, and on the streets of several cities and towns, and never had so much as a second look from LEOs. I have handed out a few "WV Gun Rights" flyers to citizens though (which I am sure to print up and carry whenever I visit.)

Welcome to "Wild Wonderful West Virginia, and "Carry On"!
    Last edited by Dreamer; 09-28-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thank you for the good info! I'm glad to hear its a improvement over CT! Not that it matters as much but is WV like Georgia, etc. that most rifles are legal unlike CT with our AWB? ie Can I buy a AK47 without a issue? Also, what do you consider average property tax, etc? Average for down south ie pretty damn low or? I ask because I would HATE to buy a house here and pay 5k+ just for tax when my parents are paying one months worth in 1 year in Georgia! lol

EDIT: It seems its the Martinsburg area Hedgesville to be specific! bah!
    Last edited by Tazman2; 09-28-2011 at 11:22 AM.

In simple terms, you're moving from a Gulag into America.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    In simple terms, you're moving from a Gulag into America.
    Lol sounds good! Was looking at house prices and compared to Georgia they aren't that cheap maybe a bit less then CT but the taxes seem a good bit less so maybe it'll work out! lol